Save the Enterprise Brewery!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Jun 5, 2009.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who thinks the new Enterprise engine room is great? For once we get a giant chamber that actually looks like engineering-related things go on in it (as opposed to the usual “people in pyjamas standing around pretending to push buttons in front of a big blue lava lamp”) and people complain!

For those saying it’s destroyed their precious “canon” think of this: What do you think is behind all those walls in Scotty’s old engine room (and the corridors off it)? Pipes, maybe? Could it be that without all the walls the other engine rooms might just have pipes everywhere? Remove the walls on the corridors on the levels above and you’re left with…catwalks over a giant chamber filled with pipes?
    Honestly, if the “lack of visible power transfer conduits” (actual angry quote from a website) ruined the film for you, then…I don’t know.

I love the Enterprise Brewery, and hope to see more of it (and Keenser!) in Star Trek XII. I will be hugely disappointed if we get Scotty running in circles around a giant lava lamp in STXII. Anyone else?

2. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the concept they went with, but not the design. Frankly it looked cheap to me. Also I sort of agree and disagree about the warp core. I would rather see a new type of warp core than to ditch the idea. Something like the engine in "Battlestar Galatica" would be nice. That or have a warp core that is so big that people can actually crawl around inside it.

Jason

3. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope I love the engine room/brewery as well. Hope it sticks around for the sequel. No more lava lamps please

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

The brewery was passable. It worked for what it was supposed to be. It certainly isn't as great as some people make it out to be though and I wouldn't mind improvements

5. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I prefer

[​IMG]

7. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why is Leonard bartending with no neck? :p

8. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

If I didn't know it was a brewery in advance I don't think I would of made the connection. This part of the movie/set design doesn't bother me in the least an IMO it's the best engineering has ever looked. I haven't seen all the Trek movies though....

9. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, someone else said the same thing in another thread I posted this picture on. Actually, his neck is there, it's just a perspective thing I guess. In the original photo you don't see any more of the guys neck.

10. Meh

Meh Cadet Newbie

I knew going in that Engineering was going to look "different" to say the least. Even so, I was shocked at how cheap it looked. Just a random industrial space with a few flat screens sprinkled in to remind you that that this was supposed to be a spaceship. Was there no budget for set design?

I don't care about all the canon nonsense. I just expected something... futuristic, you know?

11. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

I think a compromise would be in order. When I was in the military and working in calibration, we certainly didn't keep the radiac stuff in the same room with the torque wrench stuff!

Where high energy stuff goes on, the clean room and "lava lamp" seems reasonable.

That being said, there has to be some plain old mechanical, chemical, and electrical processes involved in making a ship go and keeping her crew alive and healthy. Some of those processes and the engineering spaces they go on in could quite easily look more akin to 21st century industrial processes. Pipes is pipes, after all. :)

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Personally, I liked the idea - but it needed far far more set dressing/CG extension to look anything LIKE the insides of a spaceship.

13. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Can't imagine why he'd sue them.

14. jbrinegar

jbrinegar Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think Im in the minority, but I loved it too. Im also one of the few that loved the Kelvin engine room too with the guys rapelling down.

15. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

I don't have a problem with the water pipes in the engine room, I just have an issue with a lack of engine in the engine room.

16. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Love the idea of multiple warp cores.

Love a giant, pipe filled engine room.

All is well.

17. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always loved the warp core on TNG as well as Voyager's.

I didn't even realize that that place was supposed to be engineering for a while.

18. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, however...

I did like it, due to the pure fact it was so far removed to the standard Trek engine room look.

It was so open and, well, massive. Reminded me of the old steam ship engine rooms from the late 1800s early 1900s

It fitted rather well though, i thought. The warp core in the neck was a nice touch.

Granted i liked the idea, it looked more industrial than a lava lamp and an okudagram. It looked the part, convinced me that a ship of that size needed this mass space for its engines. But thats not to say that wasnt there on the original 1701.

Although, i dont know what they were going for with the turning spirals projected onto the distillers or whatever they are, if they wanted to make it look like some physics breaking thing is going on in them, why not CGI some coold looking reaction effect into the barrel thingies.:wtf:

19. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Brewry is too practical. I say get a little more creative.

20. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

I HATED the idea. I'm not saying it shouldn't look like a carpeted office, but the choice of a brewery is one of the schlokiest choices in ANY Sci-Fi thing. Not just Trek.

I can see their desire to be different, but this was a poor way to go.

There are better ways of showing off pipes or something, but when it looks like something out of a schlock production, you've gone too far.