fan fiction ideas opinion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by surak-toc, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

In my opinion, the person or people who came up with the "warp ten is infinity" suffered from a severe case of H.U.A. disease. I for one have -NEVER- bought into that line of background fluff. If you want to go to Warp Fifteen, I'm all for it. Just don't run into anything at those speeds!

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I actually quite like the idea of infinite speed and how it allows you to be everywhere at once.

After all, if it takes you no time at all to go from Sydney Australia to New York, then you are indeed in both New York and Sydney at the same time.

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

In "All Good Things" the warp scale had been reclassified, since the Pasteur could reach warp 13 (if memory serves), so in the 2470s a ship getting to warp 15 wouldn't be unbelievable.

Regarding the crew: why would you waste so much energy and computer memory for half the crew being holograms (also 'hard light holograms' isn't something Trek has had before, the EMH was able to switch from being solid to intangible at will)? A computer virus or a hacker could get into the system and easily take over half the crew and then the ship with little effort, plus if there was a loss of power then the complement would be halved in a time of crisis.

I also doubt that a Klingon/Vulcan hybrid would need much genetic experimentation when ovarial resequencing made it highly probable that a Klingon and Trill could have children together in 2374, so by the time of your series then it shouldn't be difficult.

4. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

so the hard light holograms were a bit to much, i shall change that to 25 EMH's, all of course programed to look different species and used in pretty much all different aspects of the ship, all other spaces are just regular crew space, then the Klingon/Vulcan hybrid then instead of it being an experiment then it just being a child that is not wanted either parents, an orphan who is from a Starfleet run orphanage, a place where the kids get trained to join Starfleet and to be worth the years of not being wanted, some growing up to become starship captains and such.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  5. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I'd rather have a clone crew or even an android crew instead of a holographic crew.

6. Bry_Sinclair

So the entire medical staff are holograms? Again that seems a little far-fetched, but its your fanfic--if you can make it work then go for it. Also Starfleet wouldn't run an orphanage to train future officers/crewmen, that's what the Academy is for. I suspect there would be various Federation or planetary government (ie civilian) run facilities to care for children without parents, you could even have it as a charity or religious organisation orphanage. Then when the child reaches what is considered maturity for their species (since different lifespans means some will develop faster/slower than humans) they can decide for themselves if they want to enter Starfleet or not. Just my thoughts anyway.

I would have to agree on that point. Androids are independent from the ship therefore more likely to be of use in various situations, whilst a clone crew might drive you a little nuts they are all individuals who just happen to share the same faces.

The EMH was something new and different when VOY started but I got bored of him and wouldn't really be interested in the exploits of another holographic character.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Each of them could be the clone of a different person.

In the Star Wars animated series, the cloned soldiers (from Jango Fett) all looked at least slightly different from each other because they made a effort to. Hair styles, facial hair, slighter, heavier, muscular, tattoos, tanned, etc..

:)

8. Bry_Sinclair

Unless they wanted to mess with your head and ensured they were all identical :).

I do like how in Clone Wars the soldiers are made to be their own individuals with quirks and personalities. I therefore assume that the special order they are given is actually some kind of hypnotic suggestion/mental conditioning that was programmed into them--how else would they follow an order to exterminate the men and women who have been their leaders and teachers for years?

Anyways, I digress.

9. surak-toc

i shall have a couple of EMH from the same template, that being i think a mcCoy EMH, obviously i will have a ECH just in case, for the clone thing i reckon having part of the crew like that would work, that's where the hybrid thing would come to fruition, human clones injected with say andorion dna, a Klingon clone with some tellerite traits, that sort of thing for a diverse crew.

10. Bry_Sinclair

That is sounding somewhat like genetic engineering which is illegal in the Federation.

I'd say if you want a diverse crew, then make it diverse. There are 150+ UFP members, of which we have only seen a small fraction, plus other aliens who'd be able to enter the Academy with backing from a senior Starfleet officer. Though not my favourite 'series' the Titan books do that well, with having a very diverse alien crew--most of which we've never seen before. Going that way would be more realistic and interesting than a Klingon with a porcine nose.

But that's just my thoughts.

11. surak-toc

The genetically engineered crew would be federation approved, created specifically by them, apart from that lets go into a discussion about the cardinal class ship.