One particular SPOILER from The Name of the Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Procutus, May 19, 2013.

?

'Who' is John Hurt

1. The original incarnation of The Doctor (pre-Hartnell)

9 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. The 9th Doctor, the one who ended the Time-War

57 vote(s)
    57.6%
  3. The Doctor's final incarnation, the 13th Doctor

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Something else entirely

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm just curious to see what others here are thinking. After watching the final five minutes again, I'm almost certain he's the ninth incarnation of The Doctor.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: John Hurt as The Doctor

I'd say he is the real ninth Doctor, but not the one who ended the war.

Would be better for the character if that was Ecclestone, being forced to make up for what Hurt did and destroying the Timelords and Daleks in the process.

3. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds good. It's a pity that Eccleston didn't agree to be a part of the November Special, especially if we're right about Hurt being the incarnation just prior to him.

4. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

There's a possibility of him being the final incarnation, but I think that the ninth is more likely given Eleven's famiiarity with him. This also fits in, I think, with Ten's statement to Sarah Jane that he's changed half a dozen times (given that she briefly met Five in The Five Doctors).

Another question concerns what he's going to be called in the anniversary special. Maybe he'll be from a point prior to whenever he discarded the name of the Doctor.

5. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't want him to be "the real" 9th Doctor because that would be just a big eff-u to what we've known since 2005. I'd rather he be Doctor 8.5 than 9. I'd rather him be something else entirely.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

Going by the costuming, and that there were some talks to try and get Eccleston involved in Who again, I would guess he's the pre-Eccleston Doctor from the Time War.

7. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

if the name The Doctor is supposed to be a promise then trapping billions in a time lock and leaving them to die goes completely against the notion of a doctor doing no harm. got to be the real 9th doctor... :)

8. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

It really is the theory that makes the most sense, but I wouldn't put it past The Moff to try to turn this into something a bit more complicated.

But the dialogue between Hurt and Smith sure make it seem as if Hurt is the real 9th. The name, the promise and what little we know of the Time War... It makes sense.

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he is either McGann's doctor but a older version, or he is the Doctor before Hartnell, and he did something so bad that when he changed into Hartnell, his doctor ran away and tried to make amends for it all.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if we'll get the iconic "John Hurt Is The Doctor!" cover from an upcoming issue of Doctor Who Magazine. :)

11. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

plus all the 'splosions of the time war will look great in 3D for the 50th special! :techman::lol:

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I voted for "Something Else Entirely." He's the Doctor in the same sense the Valeyard is--he is, yet isn't.

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Admittedly, I'd like to see more of what happened in the Time War on screen. It's a huge part of DW history that is basically unexplored, and this could be the means to do it.

OTOH, if Hurt does turn out to be pre-Hartnell, it would greatly play up the 50th anniversary theme, by going back to the very beginning and finding out what made him steal the TARDIS and flee Gallifrey in the first place.

Either way, I'm on board for this ride. I haven't been this psyched about DW in a very long time.

14. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

How so? No one's denying that the Eccleston Doctor is a Doctor, after all he was explicitly shown in the web, we heard his voice, and he was one of the body double Docs at the very end. It would just mean that the Doctor we thought was the 9th is actually 10th, Tennant is 11th and Smith is 12th. Nothing disrespectful about moving the numbers up one.

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought we saw McGann's doctor run by?

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

And, I imagine Clara didn't encounter Hurt's Doctor was because his events happened during the Time War and were locked away. However, Clara did have at least one life on Gallifrey which could have lived on into the Time War and be making a crack in that so called perfect lock. Not that it's stopped the Daleks, the Master, Rassilon's drums, or the kitchen sink escaping that time lock.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Doctor 8.5 :)

18. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Remember to be careful about spoilers in subject lines, folks ;)

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yep I had thought of that line as well that Tennant's Doctor said to SJ. She might not remember them meeting in The Five Doctor's but the Doctor would. So it is possible for their to be a lost regeneration and remain consistant with what we've seen. esp. if the Eccleston onwards Doctor's made a choice to supress memories of that incarnation.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

My thoughts as well.