MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the games on ESPN radio that Boog Sciambi calls. He was with the Marlins and Braves for a while, and he just calls the games instead of trying to interject useless "back in the day" stories.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So he's like the anti-Tim McCarver, then?

3. Starbreaker

Only because he didn't play!

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Dan Uggla should only be inserted in the lineup against the Marlins. The only team he seems to show anything resembling consistency against.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A baseball announcer, especially a radio one... should be able to paint a complete picture of the game as if I wasn't even watching the TV or gameday or whatever. I don't want a fan who moans and groans on the air when their team is losing or gleefully whoops when they're winning. I want them to talk about the game, not their favorite team.

6. Use of Time

^ In short, you want Vin Scully.

7. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/18/escobar-achieves-whole-new-level-of-dumb

I'm surprised no one has brought up Yunel Escobar and his gay slur written in his eye black.

He is being torn apart in local media, even on my 1am drive home Toronto sports show. Most people are throwing Manager John Farrell, GM Alex Anthopoulos (who is suddenly being criticized for every move he's made) and the rest of the Blue Jays team under the bus.

My opinion: everyone can have their own, but in a city where the gay community is so big and in a world where it is becoming more and more socially acceptable to be gay, why, when you are a Major League Baseball player, do you write it across your face? How can you be that stupid to then go into a news conference and say "Oh I didn't think it would offend anyone?" Groan.

He should have been suspended for the rest of the season at the very least. The Jays are out of it and have Omar Vizquel and Adeiny Hechavarria sitting on the bench that can easily step into the shortstop position. Why don't you make a statement that this isn't acceptable in your organization? Or cut him altogether?

Thoughts? Comments?

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

When the story first broke, a friend speculated that he lost a bet and had to wear this. Even if that was true, he was really dumb to do so. If not, why would he choose to do this on his own? Just plain stupid either way, especially how players are under the microscope all the time. However he has never been the best kind of baseball player anyway. Yet, no one on his team thought to tell him to remove it? I find that really odd, you're telling me a coach or the manager didn't notice this?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who wouldn't?

10. Use of Time

Hey but he was punished right? Three meaningless games at the ass end of September. That will show him!

11. Starbreaker

Yunel Escobar is a lackadaisical asshole. He was maligned in Atlanta. Chipper invited the entire Braves team to his birthday party the last year he was there with the exception of Escobar. Escobar and his frosted tips were repeatedly benched for being completely zoned out on defense, not running bases, etc. He just doesn't "get it."

12. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

To be fair, though, AA has been making some pretty moronic trades over the last 18 months or so.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Without pay?

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's also worth noting that the MLBPA isn't even bothering to appeal the suspension, even though the union generally starts frothing at the mouth as soon as a player is suspended. If Escobar isn't traded, I wouldn't be shocked to see him released in the offseason.

15. R. Star

Pretty much.

16. Use of Time

I'm sure he'll manage to put food on the table. I'm just glad the Braves dumped this guy when they had the chance.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The point is, players generally don't like missing a pay check even if they can afford it otherwise. It's the "being put in timeout" aspect that I think really bothers them. Plus, this will hurt his future employability.

18. Use of Time

Meh, I guess. Baseball teams aren't that picky though, I'm sure if he can actually focus and show some of that alleged upside that he has, he'll find a roster spot. He just seems unfocused and has the tendancy to do something stupid every once in awhile. I thought the eye-black thing was really dumb and juvenile but I really don't think it's going to end up being a deal breaker down the road for him.

19. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

What an exciting baseball season!

20. R. Star

If you can hit 30 home runs a year, and keep your avg/obp line over 270/350 you can basically be the biggest sob out there and you'll get a job.