Flash sites on the iPad - here's how

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Flavius, May 28, 2010.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I want an iPad, for me, it will replace my laptop when I travel. I really want one, the price is high though, I can't afford it, but I really want one.

2. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I tried to look at maps while I was hiking last weekend. No go...

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Surely it depends on the viewing angle?

In any case, the iPad is simply too massively useful for me to ignore.

4. Flavius

^Absolutely! Even if at times you have to use it with a towel over your head!

;)

5. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Yeah... :rolleyes:

6. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Not outside.
    You will never be able to see much on a lit, highly-reflective display on a sunny day when you are outside.
    All that light gets reflected off the display and cancels out the light of the screen which results in the above picture.

That's why business people only buy laptops with matte display-screens - they can use them in changing and not-so-perfect lighting conditions.

Just try it with your Handy (that is cell-phone for you non-Germans ;)). You probably will have a very hard time seeing anything on that display.

And that's why the iPad is nothing more and a nice gimmick with no real use: it's too big to be used as an mp3-player, useless as an ebook-reader when you travel or commute. And to use it at home is pretty pointless since you have a computer or a laptop there anyway.

What DO you use that thing for?

7. Flavius

Quite a few things, actually. Note: we don't use laptops and the like at home, because they stink - at least compared to what else we have.

We have two iPads. The 16 GB Wi-Fi is typically somewhere on the main floor of the house, mostly in the kitchen or the family room, that's the one I bought damage insurance for.

I have three kids that are 9, 13 and 15 and all of them have their own PC or Mac. They use it for home work, browsing and gaming, it's also always with us when we travel, and we drive around a lot.

The second one is the 64GB 3G model which can be found in one of the offices, either the one at home, in town or in Cambridge where my employer has its headquarters. When I'm visiting, usually one to three times a week, pretty much all I need is my iPad now, since on those days I'm moving around all the time, I direct a number of engineering teams. 10 to 12 hours of battery time that I'm getting are plenty, and my laptop typically sees very little or next to no use at all.

So, in a lot of ways we use the iPad as we would use a laptop. Surprise: this is a mobile device after all - but it doesn't stink, since it does quite a few things really well. A list of which of which you can find pretty much everywhere now.

And then there's the experience of using it. I'm an engineer myself, but even after two month of daily use it hasn't worn off yet.

One more thing: the next version won't have a USB port either, so you imbeciles who want to power your beer coolers, no soup for you.

;)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I would not use any computing device outside anyway, so that's pretty much irrelevant. And as for travelling: The screen would look just fine inside an airport or plane. ;)

The iPad is just perfect for my needs. If I'm home, sometimes I need to use a computer when I'm in another room. Such as if I want to sit on my couch downstairs and watch a baseball game that's only on MLB.TV - the MLB.COM At Bat app is perfect for this. And I've used the iBooks app enough to know that I like it very much as a reader.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have an iPad and I love it, I use it for a lot of things. When I travel I take it with me instead of my personal laptop that way I don't have to drag my work laptop from the office to the hotel room. When I fly I use it to watch movies, read books, play games, use it for the above if there is a bunch of us driving as well. I have my music collection on it and I use it to play that music on my stereo system in the living room (iPad->dock->component cables->receiver->speakers), with this setup I can also play videos, including streamed ones from my comp, on my TV. It sits on my entertainment unit and displays all of my latest pictures. I use it to play games, there is a bunch of fun ones. And yes, I surf the web when on the crapper.

I could live without it, yes, then again I could live without a computer or even electricity... I just don't want to.

10. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Did any of you write these posts on your iPad?

11. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

O look. It's a mirror.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvaw-unW24[/yt]

12. Flavius

The virtual keyboard was a concern because of the promise of real usability, and it works well enough (not great) in landscape mode. The auto correction facility is quite clever. So, the aforementioned post was not written on the iPad, but many others are, on this and other sites.

13. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Why didn't you write it on the iPad?

I mean, if laptops 'stink' and the iPad 'doesn't stink', I'm sure it must be a blast to always use it post here with it.

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Refresh rate. Absolutely terribly on eink - better hope you don't ever want to check something from a few pages back, because it'll take you a few minutes to find it.

(There's also the size; I first read ebooks on my PDA which I used as my music player, and now I read them on my iPod Touch. There's no pocket-sized eink reader that I'm aware of, even if I was willing to carry around a third device in my pocket.)

15. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Not with the Kindle.

Who wants a pocket-sized ebook reader anyway?
    Personally I'd much rather like to read on a book-sized device than squint at the tiny display of something like a PDA.

16. Flavius

Leute wie Du, lieber Landsmann, sind schon eine Zierde!

17. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Sorry for getting the way of your iLove...

18. Flavius

Is that supposed to be English? Appel Schnaps zurueck in den Kuehlschrank, marsch, marsch!

:lol:

19. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I'm glad I know enough German to understand that. :guffaw:

20. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Cool work around! If only it worked with windows and my ipod touch.