Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Coin flip? I've heard a lot of good things about Heroes, but this is the television season that has "Severed Dreams" we're talking about here. It's got to be Babylon 5, no contest.

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

At least in THIS thread it is. ;)

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with a good ol' fashioned coin flip?

:D

4. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

nothing. just as long as it's a centauri ducat.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

"TKO"

Zzzzzz, pretty boring. Crappy karate kid/rocky type storyline going on, then when the fight actually starts its like something out of WWE when they're exchanging punches. I also found the Ivanova father thing a bit boring as well, even if it did show a bit more of her past.

"Grail"

Good episode I thought. The guy looking for the holy grail was hella cool, and I liked how he took the jinx under his wing. It was pretty funny at the end when they're watching him leave with bated breath :lol:. I didn't really notice that the Minbari have a caste society, but that explains why the Minbari on B5 don't seem to be a species which had just been involved in a war with Earth - they're the religious part, not the warrior caste.

Some random thoughts so far

I don't really like that there seems to be 3 main characters, as in the ones who run the station. Seems sort of low. Sometimes the seemingly low budget does get to me, and the music can be a little instrusive at times but it doesn't detract too much from the show itself which has been good so far, at times the music seems to play like they had just won a stage in a vidyagame.

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

There's also a Worker Caste, but Lennier mysteriously forgets to mention them here.

When this happens, think of it as a televised stage play. I find this conceit helps a great deal in getting past the low budget.

I know what you mean. The music tones it down a bit in season 2.

7. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

sadly, they never quite figure out how to have comic music. it's always some corny variation of *wha*wah*

the season 4 dvds have an nice documentary on B5 music.

8. Neroon

Patience.... there will be more and more character development as the season evolves. And even more when you move into season 2, and so forth. The non-human characters (G'Kar, Londo, Delenn, et al) get puh-lenty of development and background and involvement.

9. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

:eek:

Wow, you really *are* behind, aren't you? :lol: Hadn't watched B5, Crusade, Heroes OR Dark Angel. :eek:

PLEASE tell you you've watched Farscape or Buffy!

10. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

I watched Heroes as it aired on NBC last season, so watchin' the DVDs would be a refresher, not a first time viewin'.

And I've seen pretty much all of Buffy & Angel and random episodes of Farscape, which has gotten hard to find in syndicated reruns, and always out of order from anything that makes sense.

But, since I was able to get the first disc of nuBSG's second season at Blockbuster yesterday (yay for freebie rentals!), I've been watchin' that instead of crackin' open a new box set.

11. PKTrekGirl

^Yeah, Farscape is hard enough to follow when you watch it in ORDER. Watching out of order is pretty much pointless.

Is BSG a rerun for you also? Or have you been watching that all along?

My problem these days is that I'm out of new stuff to watch. I always have a disk of B5 and The X-Files going (saw both shows in their entirety - more than once - on DVD, but I love them and never get tired of them)...and I watch the occasional episode of DS9 when I get in the mood, or ENT when I'm walking on my treadmill in the evening and it's on Scifi.... But I've seen every show now - some of them (DS9, B5, Buffy, Firefly, Farscape, SG-1, The X-Files, for example) a few times. And the current shows that I'm watching (Dr Who, Eureka, The 4400) aren't enough. Over the weekend I re-watched part of Heroes and Eureka seasons 1....but good new scifi is in pretty short supply these days, IMO.

Tried Painkiller Jane and Flash Gordon, but both were so terrible they made my hair hurt. :lol:

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

And it doesn't help when WGN has a two hour block of Farscape, with one early episode and then one later episode from the series, instead of production order.

Its new to me, mostly. I've caught random episodes, but after seein' the local Blockbuster had the miniseries, the first season and both season 2.0 & 2.5, I decided to give it a shot, since I can rent 'em for free.

That's why I picked up Babylon 5 & Dark Angel, while also buildin' up my Stargate SG-1 library.

:D

SciFi wise, I'm still watchin' The 4400, Doctor Who, The Dead Zone as they air, more or less. I'm also lookin' forward to Torchwood when it starts on BBC America in the next couple of weeks.

And Stargate Atlantis shoudl be comin' soon.

No kiddin'.

I fell asleep durin' the first episode of Painkiller Jane and Flash Gorden was too gawd awful to even think about watchin'. Even the promos make me wince after I saw the pilot episode.

13. PKTrekGirl

^ Yeah, I'll be watching Torchwood...but that will be just in time for The 4400 to wrap their season, so no net gain there. :(

And I don't know how many episodes Eureka is going this year. If it's the same as last year, they are getting to the end too. :(

So even with Torchwood and Heroes coming back on, I'll still be down to pretty slim pickins.

I have never watched The Dead Zone. Maybe I should check that out. Or I was thinking of Dead Like Me - I've not seen that either.

I didn't watch Jericho...but I heard it got cancelled so I'm not sure if I should bother.

14. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Well, I hate to go with the online majority, but The Dead Zone's early seasons are better than what's been comin' out lately, but this season has been better than the last couple.

And Dead Like Me is pretty entertainin', from what I've seen durin' the SciFi marathons. I'm pretty sure it would be more entertainin' unedited on DVD.

Never did get Eureka - couldn't finish the first episode, don't care for the promos when I see 'em.

And, to keep this from goin' too far off topic, I just cracked open the third season of Babylon 5.

- edit, to add -

And Jericho was cancelled, but brought back through a fan campaign for a short second season.

15. PKTrekGirl

^ I love Eureka. It is hilarious.

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Well, I've been watchin' it for twenty minutes so far, and I'm not too impressed.

The bit about the moon rocks was kinda funny.

17. Neroon

So what's the next episode of B5 on your schedule? ;)

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

'Voices of Authority', Season Three, Disc Two.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    That one has a nice score by Chris Franke, IIRC. Also, it sets off the events that will quickly culminate into the best three episode arc of Babylon 5, ever, IMHO.

20. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Eureka's a strange thing. I have little motivation to watch the latest episode every week; it just sits on my DVR. But when I get to it, I find myself liking it more often than not.

One of those competant little comedies that will never have too much cult status, I suspect.