Jurassic Park 4 Coming June 14, 20...2014!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bigdaddy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The original JP4 plot was that the US government created human / dog / dino hybrids so they can be trained to kill the dinosaurs that have made it to the mainland. Thankfully someone released the script and it was ripped apart by everyone on the internet and never made.

So I have high hope that it's better than that. :lol:

I read an article from I think November saying the plan was still to use mostly robots.

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Godzilla comes out the month before!! I am in heaven. Bring it on and it is about time for both I say.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be down with a movie about Dino-Walmarticide.

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

It'll be sad without Stan Winston. I wonder if they'll ditch robo-dinos completely for filming.

5. bigdaddy

They aren't supposed to, but it wouldn't surprise me if they di so they could work on CGI dinosaurs while they film it, they don't have a lot of time to make the movie.

Either way I hope it's good.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Will any of the CGI dinosaurs have feathers?

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

FWIW: The CGI Raptors in JP3 had hints of feathers. (Cannot recall if the Spinosaurus or other dinosaurs we saw in the movie did or did not, but I suspect they did.)

8. bigdaddy

Yes, the JP movies have been adding more and more feathers as the movies went on. When JP3 was made I think it was only thought raptors had a few feathers, but now they might have had a ton.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll ask Steven about it during our Sunday morning brunch and get back to you on that. :)

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

really??
    Can you ask him about a possible Jaws 5;)

I hope they write a good story, and film It with robots and not much CGI

11. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it's billed as 4, it's for sure a continuation, then? Not a reboot? Sorry, I can't find any confirmation of this.

Just wondering how a reboot would work within the confines of the original Crichton novel. Getting tired of sitting though origin stories again with all the superhero movies but a fresh take on the novel might be interesting.

Then again, I love the characters in the previous 3. Why not have more stuttering Jeff Goldblum, introspective Sam O'Neil and ass-kicking Laura Dern?

12. Trekker4747

I suspect a "continuation", as much of one as we can get at this point. Which I think, really, given Spielberg these days is just not going to be a fantastic, great, take on the material. I just don't know what else there is to say in this franchise. I can give TLW something of a pass (excluding the San Diego sequences) because at least it was somewhat based on a book (with lame retcon in it to fit in with the movie franchise) but even that movie didn't have much new to offer. The third movie was just... Ugh. I "liked" it but it was just a rehash of everything. Dinosaurs. People stuck on an island. People want off island.

I really think a darker, more faithful adaptation of the book is needed.

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

On facebook, Pat Tallman (who stunt-doubled Laura Dern), said she ran into Dern recently, and Laura asked her if she was ready for JP4. Pat said "But I AM a dinosaur!" :lol:

14. Gaith

Aye. An AV Club writer had an interesting comment about III a while ago, in a list of Best Scenes in Worst Movies:
    There’s an amazing scene in the otherwise largely crummy film, right near the end, when Marines arrive on Isla Sorna to bail out Sam Neill, William H. Macy, et al. from the prehistoric predators. As the infantry rolls into an oncoming charge of dinos, Johnston cuts away. It feels like a cheat at first. After all, Jurassic Park had been courting a full-blown human/dino war since the T-Rex got loose on the mainland in the second film. But Johnston’s cutaway is superb, a rug-pulling acknowledgment that, duh, obviously a bunch of hi-tech tanks and guys with automatic weapons could take down a herd of pea-brained reptiles. Survival of the fittest and all that.

This almost makes one seem why, in the words of the AV Club's Sean O'Neal, one proposed script "would have featured a commando unit of super-smart human-dinosaur hybrids specially trained for capturing drug dealers and rescuing kidnapped children, because fuck everything else about Jurassic Park up to that point."

To which I can only repeat my Jurassic Park Origins: Maple White Land idea...

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

That links to a thread talking about adapting Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World I don't really see anything about Jurassic Park.

16. bigdaddy

Trekker, have you read The List World? It's the only time the movie is better than the book. But they share nothing in title besides the name.

There is no reason to reboot the franchise, I dont need to see another park goes wrong movie.

17. Trekker4747

I read TLW when came out, I honestly barely remember much of it. Yeah it wasn't very good, but I also feel that way about the movie which had a lot of bunk in it (including the SD stuff.).

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ The only part of the movie I remember clearly is when the T-Rex came to the mainland. I thought that was the best part because it was something different.

19. Gaith

^ Agreed.

Well, that's kinda the half-joke: that there's nothing left to say with JP, and the JP franchise borrowed liberally from The Lost World, so why not return the favor by having the people behind JP make a faithful Lost World adaptation? The Jurassic Park Origins: title was obviously in jest, but how is the following not a winning trailer voiceover:
    From the producers of Jurassic Park... comes the epic tale that introduced dinosaur fiction to mankind... from the creator of Sherlock Holmes... THE LOST WORLD!

20. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather see Spielberg have fun with a straight adaption of the book, set in its original time period.