Chronological questions

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Working on timeline-y stuff and wanting to double check some info and hopefully fill in some blanks. I'm not trying to get uber specific, but this is my broad understanding of things so far...

FEB- Destiny
    MAR- TNG: Losing the Peace
    APR- A Singular Destiny
    MAY- VOY: Full Circle (Part 2)
    JUL- TTN: Over a Torrent Sea
    ?- VOY: Unworthy
    ?- VOY: Children of the Storm
    ?- VOY: The Eternal Tide

JAN- Rough Beasts of Empire (ending)
    FEB- Watching the Clock (ending)
    MID- Zero Sum Game
    JUL- Seize the Fire
    ?- Paths of Disharmony
    ?- Fallen Gods

FEB- Forgotten History
    ?- Indistinguishable From Magic
    ?- Plagues of Night
    ?- Raise the Dawn
    ?- Brinkmanship
    ?- Cold Equations

Is my order right? What are the missing dates? Also, would you call Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn DS9 books with TNG cameos or a DS9/TNG crossover. I've not read them yet to see how heavily the TNG crew features. Thanks for everyone's help!

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's mostly right for the core portions of each book, but there are various overlapping prologues, epilogues, and such.

Unworthy is May-June, CotS is mostly June-July with flashbacks overlapping roughly the last 2/3 of Unworthy, and TET is August.

Both these books span pretty much the entire year following Destiny, but they tend to fall into each other's gaps:

RBoE Ch. 1-17: Feb-Mar '81
    WTC Ch. 1: Mar
    RBoE Ch. 18: Apr
    WTC Ch. 3-8: Apr-Sep

And then the rest of both books spans October '81 through February '82, with both books ending in the last week of February.

This needs more work.

Zero Sum Game Ch. 1-2 and Plagues of Night Prologue-Ch. 3 are in mid-April. The rest of ZSG takes place in August '82 between Ch. 6 & 7 of PoN. Seize the Fire is also in August, Paths of Disharmony is in October, and The Struggle Within, which you left out, is in November to early December '82. I don't know when Fallen Gods takes place.

The rest of PoN spans another year and ends in August '83. Indistinguishable From Magic takes place in Jan-early Feb and late Mar-early Apr '83. Raise the Dawn is mainly in September. I don't know about Brinkmanship.

The main body of Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory is in mid-January '84, but it has tons of flashbacks. I don't yet know where the other two parts fall.

There's more TNG crossover in PoN than RtD. I think overall it makes more sense to call it a DS9 duology.

3. ryan123450

You're the man, Christopher. Thanks for the help! I'll digest all that and see if it answers all my questions.

4. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Brinkmanship takes place (according to the Historian's note) in October 2383, while Raise The Dawn ends in September 2384, so my guess is Brinkmanship happens in the middle of RTD. Just guessing, though.

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If so, that would explain why the Aventine didn't show up at the rather momentous events in the Bajoran system during that book, as she was otherwise occupied. It would not, however, likewise explain why the Enterprise could show up during the same time period.

Unless there is an explanation for that and I just haven't read it yet, because I'm only partway through Brinkmanship.

Also, is that Sep 2384 end date for RtD referring to the main part of the story, or the coda, which was stated to be a year after the main events?

6. Christopher

^Right. Raise the Dawn is mostly in September '83, with the epilogue coming a year later. So that would put Brinkmanship shortly after the main story of RtD.

7. ryan123450

So going with the 'not getting too specific' version I had started with, I arrive at this...

FEB- Destiny
    MAR- TNG: Losing the Peace
    APR- A Singular Destiny
    MAY- VOY: Full Circle (Part 2)
    JUN- VOY: Unworthy
    JUL- TTN: Over a Torrent Sea
    -VOY: Children of the Storm
    AUG- VOY: The Eternal Tide

2381/2382
    - Rough Beasts of Empire
    - DTI: Watching the Clock

AUG- Seize the Fire
    - Zero Sum Game
    OCT- Paths of Disharmony
    NOV- The Struggle Within
    - Titan: Fallen Gods

FEB- DTI: Forgotten History
    MAR- TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic
    AUG- Plagues of Night
    SEP- Raise the Dawn
    OCT- Brinkmanship

TNG: Cold Equations

I know I'm making this overly simple. I guess the only bit missing then is the date of Fallen Gods. Anyone have a clue on that one? Thanks again to everyone for their help, especially Christopher.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  8. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I haven't read Fallen Gods yet, but the historians note says it takes place in November 2382, two weeks after Paths of Disharmony.

9. ryan123450

Ok thanks! I'm gonna edit that in.

10. ryan123450

Another timeline question. Anyone have an idea when exactly That Which Divides takes place?

11. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Memory Alpha says 2269.

12. ryan123450

I was thinking anything more specific than that.

13. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Forgotten History is a 24th century book? With Kirk on the cover I just assumed it was some sort of prequel to Watching the Clock. I'm half though through the Cold Equations trilogy and when that's done the only 24th century books left for me to read are the 2 DTI books. And they are at the top of my list after Cold Equations. I just had a different expectation for FH. I guess the cover blurb would tell me but I tend not to read those.

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, it's kind of a 24th century book and kind of a 23rd century book. It is both a sequel and a prequel to Watching the Clock.

15. Christopher

Forgotten History is mostly about the 23rd-century origins of the DTI, but has a 24th-century frame story that (since we are dealing with time travel) ends up converging with the 23rd-century story.

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The 23rd century parts span from the Season 1 episode Tomorrow Is Yesterday all the way up to just before The Wrath of Khan, which I think in the novel it was stated as something like 10-15 years of story time, whereas the 24th century parts take place in just 2382.

17. Christopher

Not quite. It only goes up to 2275, a decade before TWOK.