So besides me who else...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by royalfan5, May 6, 2013.

1. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

In principle there is nothing wrong with that but in this particular instance Kirk is just badly written.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't. I'm a completist. :D

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I wanted to like the 2009 movie. I really did. I tried, and failed. The new actors are fine, but the different-timeline thing annoyed me, and I'm not really an action-and-cool-effects person anyway. Won't be seeing STID.

4. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I don't mind action and cool effects if they are just there for the sake of contrast or if they are just the icing on the cake. But when there is no story underneath it I am not interested either. A brainless action flick branded as Trek is still a brainless action flick.

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^This. I should've been more clear in my post. Action and cool effects by themselves are not enough to hold my interest.

6. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since I've watched all the movies multiple times going into this, I decided to alter my original plan and watch them with commentary since I haven't done that before.

7. Amaris

Speaking of commentaries, I hope they release another set of TNG movies on whatever media is after blu-ray, and I want Jonathan Frakes to do commentary on ALL of them. Just listening to the FC DVD (and blu-ray sometime back) commentary track had me in stitches! Also, he loves to talk about production tidbits, and even as an actor in the other movies, I'm sure he could impart some kind of perspective. Okay, I just love the man.

8. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has anyone else noticed that in the previews for Into Darkness that Kirk's dress uniform is a throwback to the TMP uniforms?

Oh and yeah, I plan on seeing all the previous films prior to seeing the new one :)

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I thought the casting was pretty decent in STXI, except for Scotty and Chekov.

What I really hated about the film (Besides the black hole stuff) was that there was no cleverness to Kirk's tactics. He just beamed in and shot everyone.

But overall I did like the movie. And I will probably like this one.

Just, this is a different Star Trek than the Star Trek I grew up with. It's a good franchise, but it's a completely different franchise, bearing no relationship with the previous incarnations except for character and place names, and the fact they both occur in the future in space.

10. Amaris

From what I can see with Pine's portrayal, Kirk is certainly very clever, but he's restrained about it, preferring brute force to full out strategy. Though as he progresses from the beginning and then toward the end of the film, you can see him starting to branch out a little bit, though he's still a shoot from the hip kind of guy. It's my belief that this is due to the lack of a father figure in his life. He didn't have that Starfleet officer role model that prime universe Kirk had.

I expect we'll see his cleverness open up more as the movies continue forward. Hopefully STID will be an indicator of this.