Why Your Kids Should Take AP Classes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 1001001, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

The AP physics and AP calculus courses, didn't prepare me at all for how brutal the freshman university versions were.

2. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

That is awesome and congrats for all the hard work paying off.

I never enrolled in an AP course, however, I would recommend it for the challenges.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

My high school offered two AP classes - AP US History and AP English something-or-other. I didn't take the latter one (hence not being clear on what the name was...), but I did take the former. I only received a 3 on the exam, though, which wasn't sufficient for credit at my first college.

Out of my class, though, that 3 was the second highest. One person got a 4, and everyone else who took the exam scored 2 or below.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Three is supposed to be passing, so it's a shame you didn't get credit for it.

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Don't trust the automated system to always slot them incorrectly. It'll generally get most of them right, but *always* double-check that it's doing what you think it should be doing, especially in the last few semesters before graduation.

6. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Congratulations to your daughter!

I took a number of AP exams in high school as well as AP classes so I entered college with 28 hours and had my language and first two years of history requirements already completed.

It allowed me to take other, more interesting courses so that I earned a philosophy minor and international studies minor along with my history major.

After all that, I work in wealth management. :lol:

7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I took as many AP classes as I could in high school, which was only 5. Unfortunately you are at the mercy of the classes your school/district offers. In underpriveleged neighborhoods I can imagine this would be very little.

I think my credits amounted to a little more than a semester's worth of college credits. However, to fulfill the degree requirements I still had to take the full 4 years. But the AP credits were helpful in allowing me to skip some of those GE requirements in favor of picking up a minor in Economics.

The 3 definitely should have counted, that's unfortunate. And don't feel bad - the AP US History test is actually one of the harder ones. I "only" got a 3 and that was the highest score in my class, and I went to college to get a history degree! It was just a tough test.

8. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Thanks for the laugh :lol:

I took a few AP courses in my junior and senior year. IIRC, I got out of about half a semester's worth of 100 level courses. Definitely worth it. I have to admit that I did it more for the challenge though.

9. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Agreed. I do remember the AP History exam being a particular PITA, though strangely I also got one of my best scores on it.

And I too went and got a History degree.