Family Friendly Countries.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MacLeod, Jun 26, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Some states yes, some states no. There is no national law, only local ones.

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I felt like a lot of the questions provided misleading results for the US, since our laws on these issues tend to be state-focused rather than federal. I would say that at least half of the answers given for the US do not match what is law where I live. The US just isn't that homogenous and so the results in this study are not really conveying the true situation.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was about to post something similar. I got to the smoking question and when it said no law in the US, I was surprised. I think a lot of what these maps don't consider is the various provinces and states/cities have their own laws (And in the US, that's specified in the 9th and 10th amendments). Smoking may not be banned on a national level, but I've never seen schools allow smoking. Also, being in California, it's a state law that in bars/restaurants or just general public gathering areas, you can't smoke in those buildings. That's not the case in Nevada.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But isn't it just giving an overview, the map is showing countries as a whole. So whilst it might vary from state to state in the US, as a whole the US has no law in place to say ban smoking in certain places.

5. tomalak301

But this thread is about Family Friendly countries and the data that those maps provide are inconclusive at best.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Inconclusive for all countries or just the US?

7. tomalak301

I'm assuming all countries, but I don't know various countries' laws like I do for the US.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'd say pretty inconclusive, at least in terms of Canada. I think for this to be effective, they need to have a second map that shows by province/state. Sometimes there isn't anything on a national level because it's left to provinces/states. A good example is gun laws, where one state might be strict while another lax, but with nothing yet on a national level. Focusing on a national level gives an incomplete picture and ends up generalizing things too much and skews the results.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But do most of the countries regulate these ata national level or a regional level. I suspect it would be the former. So it might not be 100% accurate but that doesn't mean it's inacurate overall.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think, and I've thought this before, that a lot of the world doesn't really have a good grasp on just how large the US is. We have 50 fairly independent states, many of which are larger than a lot of other countries. So many of the laws in this country vary from state to state because simply have no federal regulation for them.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I think, and I've thought this before, that a lot of the US doesn't really have a good grasp on just how large the world is.

;)

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Touché

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I grasp that, too. I just think some people view the US as one big country where everything is the same. People unfamiliar with the states may not realize just how different things can be from one state to another, even though they're technically in the same country.

This is something I've mostly observed from posters on this board. I never claim to be an expert on the world. I live in the US, and I haven't even been to half of the states.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But is that down to how topics are taught? The higher the level the more detailed knowledge you get. So at say High School level you might get general knowledge with more detailed information about country/area in which you live.

But don't we learn by exchanging information and ideas?

15. Owain Taggart

See, that's the thing. I think it's mixed. Focusing on the national level is too narrow a view. You have to be able to see both the national and federal level in order to formulate a more complete picture. There are just too many variables otherwise.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Agreed. It simply depends on the laws being discussed here. In the US, for example, the federal laws are merely a baseline, but states are free to make said laws more strict if they choose.

The legal purchasing age of alcohol in the US is 21, but there are certain "dry" counties throughout the country where alcohol is completely prohibited, regardless of your age.

Or things like minimum wage. The national minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hour. In Illinois, where I live, minimum wage is currently $8.50, well above the legal minimum.

Or states like New Jersey, where the legal driving age is 18 (I believe).

17. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you go strictly by the US Constitution, and not by case law, local and state law should take precedence over federal law except in cases of civil rights, interstate commerce, foreign trade, and national defense. It's been turned around to be the opposite. Our basic civil liberties (i.e. the Bill of Rights) have been usurped by special interests and politicians blinded by greed and ambition.

In my opinion, of course. :/

18. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

But let's say all 50 states have a law that being naked in public is illegal. But there's no federal law that states that. Based on the way these maps are compiled, if we had a map here for nakedness, even though the entire US operates under this law, the map would show the exact opposite. An "overview" for countries with distinct provinces or states just isn't possible, in my opinion.

19. Owain Taggart

Yep, and therefore the maps are somewhat misleading. If someone is going to choose where to live based on what they see on these maps, they'll have surprises.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The idea that smoking isn't banned in schools at least through high school in the United States - because there's "no law" - is absurd. It's damned near banned everywhere.

And we apparently have no laws in place banning employment discrimination based on ethnicity. Right.