Reason why I think 'Arsenal of Freedom' is the best ep of TNG season 1

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lance, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Reason why I think 'Arsenal of Freedom' is the best ep of TNG seas

It's my favourite S1 episode too, for exactly this reason. I don't know whether it's an adapted Phase II script, but I wouldn't be surprised.

As for the upthread discussion of the title, yes, it's a reference to the Cold War Arms race and the salesman's "peace through superior firepower" slogan is an near-verbatim quote from various political ads/speeches from the 50s onwards.

2. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Julia Nickson. She was married to David Soul who played Makora in "The Apple." Soul was also Detective Kenneth "Hutch" Hutchinson in "Starsky & Hutch" .. AND had a #1 single "Don't Give Up On Us" in 1976 :D

Nickson/Ensign T'su is beautiful :D

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that The Arsenal of Freedom is only just edged out by The Neutral Zone. I guess that means I think that Arsenal is second best in the first season, though compared to later seasons, I find the competition to have been pretty weak.

The biggest problem I have with Arsenal is the order of climaxes. Once they bought the unit, it doesn't make sense for the demonstration model to still be fighting with the star-drive section. I would have had Geordi defeat that model first, just as he did, then have everyone agree that they weren't going to be able to defeat the next model, and then have Crusher prompt Picard to realize that they just need to buy the unit. To me, that's dramatic enough, but more importantly, it makes more sense.

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think there's a definite trend to the positive in the second half of season 1. To my mind, nearly every episode from 'Heart of Glory' onwards really starts to sizzle. :)

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

:guffaw: Ahem. I think you mean "cyclorama".
    The title is more likely a play on the slogan "the arsenal of democracy" as coined by FDR (link).

Yep.

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... Agreed!!!
    She also played in Rambo II, I believe, as Sly's (sort-of) love interest. What a pity Ms. Nickson couldn't take "Don't Give Up on Us" to heart and make it their theme song. But those are the chances you take when you take a beautiful wife - a lesson, hopefully, which Mr. Soul eventually learned. Unattractive women are more likely commit for the long haul. And they are usually very grateful. In the darkest night, a cottonseed is the same as a pearle, is it not?

7. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I can't believe you actually wrote that! :lol:

(Though it's something we've all thought at one point or another!)

8. 2takesfrakes

Indeed, we have, MikeS. Indeed, we have ...

9. Maurice

^^^No, we haven't. It's actually a rather offensive generalization.

10. 2takesfrakes

Please, excuse my faux pas.
    Let there be decorum ...

11. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does. I think the episode is supposed to be read as the action on the ship and on the surface taking place simultaneously, but it doesn't read like that.

I like to think the Federation arranged for installation and delivery of their all-purpose adaptive ever-improving defensive combat system to take effect star date 44020.0. ``Why couldn't we get it turned on last Tuesday?''

12. Maurice

No, because Picard calls the ship right after the crisis is over planetside and the ship is still dealing with the weapon in orbit.

13. 2takesfrakes

There are a lot of solid story-telling elements and devices in Arsenal of Freedom, they just weren't handled as well as they should've been. And from the looks of this particular show, money and time might've been part of the reason. In particular, I did not care for the engineer who tries to intimidate Geordi out of his only shot at the Center Seat. I just didn't buy his characterization. He was only designed to keep a brother down, to increase sympathy for Geordi. All it did was annoy me that "they" went this route, in the first place. Not to mention Geordi's plethora of insecurities. No other bridge officer has ever been handled in this manner. The rest of this show has its problems, but they are all cope-withable. This aspect, however, was in very poor taste. This entire episode would've benefitted enormously by some judicious rewriting and with a much better director.

14. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if the Feds ever used Picard's purchase during the Dominion War.

15. 2takesfrakes

That's an interesting idea! Never thought of that. What I did think of was that the salesman, especially when he first messages Enterprise, reminded me a hell of a lot of Slartibartfast:

"It is most gratifying that your enthusiasm for our planet continues unabated. And so, we would like to assure you that the guided missiles currently converging with your ship are part of a special service we extend to all of our most enthusiastic clients, and the fully-armed nuclear warheads are, of course, merely a courtesy detail. We look forward to your custom in future lives."

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, I thought the same thing 2takesfrakes. There's an definite Douglas Adams-y flavor to the salesman at least.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The things I remember most:
    The Echo Papa drone was made from Leggs Eggs--and pointed rather well to todays drone combat--though not as much as the short film at the end of the DVD of the film MOON.

Data throwing Tasha--like they were Ca't. and Bucky--a superhero move, and some of the strange kicks we saw in the series.

But that Dr, Shrinker looking energy cannon--that was the best.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

In the grand scheme of TNG, AoF usually just gets remembered for 2nd time (of 3) we see the 1701D separate the saucer.