Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

As I said, almost 50. Cooper is 36 and looks like 30.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's really weak math, you know.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind Cooper as Luthor. He looks smarmy enough and Limitless was surprisingly good too. I think I'd rather see him play Lex Luthor than Eric Draven, that's for damn sure.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ That's kind of like a choice between a prostate exam and root canal surgery though. Anyway, seeing as this thread is prone to the odd detour, here's some more concept and toy art from Burton's Superman Lives which just recently escaped ... er, was released.

http://timburton.jp/tagged/Superman-Lives

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bradley Cooper would make for an interesting Lex. As I've pointed out in the thread several times, I've read stuff that reported that Lex was in several early drafts. This rumour surprises me because filming is nearly finished. It wraps up in three weeks. Unless they are planning to film Luthor scenes in this last filming block. I would have expected hearing something like this back in the fall time. Also haven't seen that rumour on any of the entertainment sites I frequent this morning either...at least not yet.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I agree. If this rumor is true it does leave me scratching my head.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder at the end of his book if it's revealed that he shot JFK after grabbing him by the throat.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. He certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he could pull it off-- as basically a younger, sexier version of John Shea's Lex who isn't too fond of this Superman character stealing his spotlight.

9. Admiral_Young

I just re-scannned the article and it says the role is a cameo. If so then it will most likely set up Lex as the villain of the sequel which is something that I've stated in this thread before. Still not seen this any where else this morning. I'm gonna go on a limb and say this is just a rumour.

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah my first vote is still Jon Hamm, but eh I think that ship has sailed.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

If any of this is true, I bet it would be a stinger-type cameo not too different than Sam Jackson's cameo in Iron Man.

12. Captaindemotion

Well, you're hardly out on a limb, given that the person who posted it - i.e. me - described it as "unreliable rumour of the day!" :p

13. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah. I'm just kind of surprised that this late into filming a rumour like this would crop up. It makes no sense.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

This. After credits stuff is in now.

Also, Cooper is a much better actor than people give him credit it for. I think he'd make an excellent Lex. The choice wreaks of Nolan.

15. Admiral_Young

It does? I think it reeks of internet rumours myself :)

16. Captaindemotion

^ Yeah, I think it's as un-Nolan-ish as you can get.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If anything it's the studio going, hey lets add that up and coming guy who's a big name in our other franchise into Man of Steel somewhere.
    It's the ole "Hey lets add Eddie Murphey to the next Trek" schtick from the 80's that Paramount wanted to do.

18. Captaindemotion

^ Or the Johnny Depp as Lex rumour, when McG was supposed to be directing.

19. Admiral_Young

I've nothing against Bradley Cooper and think he would actually make a pretty good Lex, but for this to come up and not been covered by any other site at this late stage of filming, yeah all the signs are of it being a rumour. It'd be cool if it were true. I just don't think it is. I think if Lex was going to be in the film, they would have announced the casting earlier when they announced every one else.

20. Captaindemotion

^ Jeremy Renner shot his cameo for Thor after the rest of the movie had completed, which is why you don't see him interact in person with any other character. But I suppose it's not really a comparable situation, as they'd already signed him for The Avengers.

I like Cooper fine, I just don't see him as Lex.