Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBrew, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't know. Even though I was a Paragon, I was mean to him. I thought you pretty much had to be to get him to survive.

And if not... he deserved it. :devil:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my main Shepard is also a Sole Survivor, and I couldn't believe it when there wasn't even an option to have Sole Survivor-Shepard give TIM a piece of his mind about Akuze. I honestly can't believe how ultimately disappointing ME2 was for me. On a technical level it's a major improvement over ME1 (though I think the inventory system should have just been simplified instead of pretty much completely hacked off), but the deeply flawed writing ruins it. I've still only finished the game once.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah the inventory system...you have to admit there's a slight odour of implausibility with someone wearing skin tight armour with no pockets being able to carry around dozens of spare weapons, not to mention full suits of Krogan armour.

Customising your own gear makes much more sense and besides, sorting through 20 assault rifles to figure out which one is slightly better than the one you have and selling the rest was even more tedious than the resource hunting in ME2.

4. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

It became a shoot game instead of an RPG.
    If that's all you want is shooter games then you missed the point of the first Mass Effect. It's telling a story and it told a really really well thought out story. It put you in the story in the events.

In this second installment it reduced it to an arcade game. Even the end fight had no particular danger no matter what mode you're on. They listened to the fan's and made a shooter.

I can pick up a shooter any where.
    Hey I understand how the market runs. You do what's popular. I thought they found something unique with the first. Something that required us to think and not just run around shooting things.

-learning the maps of your locations
    -learning your skills
    -learning about the galaxy
    -learning about your tools

The game actually made you remember where and what you were doing if you wanted to succeed. Felt like real life.

ME2 was dramatically great.
    The story sucked cellulite.
    As an RPG it sucked nuts.
    It satisfied the simpltons of the world.
    No challenge...no longer worth my time

...just when I was starting to like RPG's. (X Men Legends)

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good gods. :rolleyes:

6. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I can understand why people would get rose tinted glasses for something like the original Star Trek, but Mass Effect is only two years old.

Play it again. It's not much more complex than 2. Only part of the gameplay that's more complex than 2 is the skill system, and even that should require no brainpower at all if you have at least a middle school education.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  7. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

The poster above is correct.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Contrary to what Saquist claims, I think ME2 was the purest RPG video game I've ever played. You played a role and made it your own. Your decision and what you said to people mattered and had consequences and it got away from the arcane D&D tropes of micro-managing and dice-roll based combat. It's everything I wish KoTOR was; fast paced, well written, had interesting characters and oh yes, it was FUN! ;)

9. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except it didn't matter because you had to game the system if you wanted to min/max your "alignment"... and even then, the two choices for some situations were fairly average.

10. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Mois: "I happen to think we're in a golden age of gaming"

Fahey: "Just a shame it's happening concurrently with the Golden Age of Moaning Ignorant Cunts On The Internet."

Twitter, yesterday.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

12. firehawk12

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Considering all she's wearing is boots, gloves, knickers and a layer of paint, then yes I'd say it's NSFW. ;)

Back on topic; just played the Firewalker pack and it's about what I expected. The Hammerhead handles much better than the Mako, but you don't really have the option to get into the kind terrain that caused the most trouble in ME1 so it's not really a fair comparison. It would have been nice if they had been able to integrate it into the game properly, but it's not a huge loss.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  14. firehawk12

I just noticed that was paint. :lol:

15. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

I have no idea who she's supposed to be and I do not care.

16. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

So I hear the Kasumi DLC came out yesterday.

Any good? Worth it?

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'd say yeah. It only adds about an hour of gameplay, but you get a new party member (and a good one at that,) quest, gun, and some spiffy formal wear for Shepard on board the Normandy.

18. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I thought it was worth the points. The extra gameplay was more enjoyable than Firewalker, Kasumi is an interesting addition to the team, and you get a new gun and outfit for your trouble.

19. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I love how if:

you keep walking past her fake advertisement, she eventually gets annoyed with you and asks how many times you're just going to walk past without stopping

:lol:

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Can't say as I'm in any hurry to check this one out, though it looks good I imagine once the (very short) mission is over she'll just stand in her little spot on the Normandy jabbering to herself like Zaeed does. I might pick it up eventually, but what I find somewhat irritating is the whole "points" system they're using to sell it. You can just, say buy it from steam but instead buy a block of these "bioware points", which is invariably more than you actually need so can either have them sit there doing nothing and going to waste or use them up on that alternate appearance pack, so why not just bundle it all into one?

I'm not sure I like this piecemeal approach to DLC. Way back when, you bought an expansion pack (Half-Life Opposing Force, Homeworld Cataclysm, etx) and it was essentially a new game, just with the same engine and a lot of the same assets. Now it's all a bit superficial, I mean why should I spend money on giving Thane a pair of shades for goodness sake?

Either some game developers are increasingly becoming rip-off artists or Valve really has spoilt me with free DLC content.