You're the Editor- 2015 Edition

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that we know what the 2014 schedule looks like, we can start speculating about how we hope the 2015 schedule will turn out. I'm sure it will be alot better than anything we can think up, but for the sake of a fun thread...

You are the editor of the TrekLit line for publishing year 2015. What do you publish?

My list:

February

• TNG: Post-The-Fall-Duology, Book One
    March

• TNG: Post-The-Fall-Duology, Book Two
    • Deep Space Nine: The Ascendants Ebook Trilogy Part One
    April

• Seekers 3
    May

• Voyager: Full Circle Fleet, Book Seven
    • Deep Space Nine: The Ascendants Ebook Trilogy Book Two
    June

• New Frontier: The End
    July

• Enterprise: Rise of the Federation, Book Three
    • Deep Space Nine: The Ascendants Ebook Trilogy Book Three
    August

• TOS Movie Era
    September

• Titan
    • Voyager Full Circle Fleet Ebook
    October

• Aventine/ DS9 Post-The Fall-Crossover
    November

• DS9 Post-The-Fall
    • Federation Politics Ebook
    December

• Section 31: Disavowed Sequel
    January

• Data and Lal, Book Two
    • TOS Ebook

2. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Everything would be DS9. Also,
    Data and Lal
    would move to DS9.

3. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

Would love to see a new monthly ebook series ala SCE. With the greater maturity of ebooks and ereader proliferation in general, it seems like 2015 would be a great time to push in that direction.

4. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

February: Probably a 'post-Fall clean up' type novel, something that picks up on the tension between the old school Starfleet explorers and the newer, more aggressive combat style and advances this some. This seems like something that could be picked up in the Aventine novel by JJM, so that's the kick off.

March: I'm thinking here would be a good slot for a movie-era TOS novel, something between TMP/WoK.

April: DS9 - The Ascendants Anthology. Honestly, I'd prefer this as multiple books, but that seems to be unlikely given the one book per month rule, so I'm cheating and saying that multiple authors can get a crack at telling parts of this story. I would have preferred this to have been the 20th anniversary special last year, but that didn't happen, so better late than never.

May: TNG novel, set at some point between 'Indistinguishable From Magic' and 'Cold Equations' or thereabouts. I NEED a better picture of the new Enterprise crew, and I'd like to get to know them with a guarantee that they aren't going to get killed off in the course of the novel, so putting up the goalposts locks in a certain cast that cannot be killed.

June: A new Voyager novel, since we already know that Kristen Beyer is contracted for it, and I enjoy the ongoing storyline.

July: For some timeline variation, let's put the third Seekers novel here.

August: Since we've now established that the novels aren't locked into the ongoing narrative of the 24th century and can jump around, I'd love to get another Klingon Empire story from KRAD, mostly because for the dead-tree readers, there has not been much examination of the Kinshaya, so it'd be nice to see the oft-mentioned conflict between them, where Klag got promoted to General (I've been peddling this idea for a few years now, but with his upcoming Klingon book, even if it's reference and not fiction, it seems like the time, right?).

September: This seems like a good time for the third Rise of the Federation novel.

October: Since the 23rd century hasn't gotten much love in my list, I'd be willing to go for a post-TFF era novel around here. (Didn't I read that Greg Cox is writing one? Here we go.)

November: DS9 novel, picking up on the threads from Revelation and Dust. With the Ascendants storyline finally dealt with, we can get back to their ongoing story where we left off.

December: Kind of a selfish Christmas gift, but I'd love for a novel set during the series run of TNG, DS9, or Voyager. As much as I love the ongoing narratives, I also miss reading something new with the characters as they were when the series were new. We keep seeing in-series TOS novels, maybe this can show that there's enough interest in in-series novels of the others. Part of me is thinking a Dominion War era novel, but I'd also like to see the Enterprise-D in action again. So I don't know which series I'd pick.

January: A new Titan novel, and, personally, I'd like to let James Swallow get another crack at the crew, let him play with some of the characters who didn't appear much or at all in The Poisoned Chalice.

5. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not one for reading Voyager or TOS/TMP books, but I think that would make a good schedule. Particularly having a NF book.

6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Good choices except no Ebook for DS9, just paper.

7. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Especially for the Ascendants story.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My schedule:
    January: Post-The Fall DS9 by David R. George III
    I haven't read The Fall books yet, but I've been following the discussion and apparently DRGIII left quite a few balls up in the air that never really landed solidly.
    Febuary: Post-The Fall Titan by anyone but Michael A Martin
    No reason other than that I'm a Titan fan
    TNG TV series era e-book by anyone:
    I'm an E-book reader, and IMO they would be a perfect way to give us smaller more episodic stories set during the series.
    March: NYTBAKMFB Voyager book
    Because these books have been great, and I'm pretty sure we already heard she's working on one for next year.
    April: Greg Cox's movie era TOS novel
    Didn't we already hear this was on the way?
    DS9 TV series era e-book by anyone
    See TNG entry
    May: Something by a new author
    As great as the main group of authors we've built up are, it's always nice to add a new voice to the mix IMO
    June: Post-The Fall TNG novel by David A McIntee
    I really enjoyed Indistinguishable from Magic, and would love to see David McIntee write more Geordi centric TNG following up on IfM
    July: Myriad Universes vol. 4
    Love this series, and would bring it back in a heartbeat if I could
    Voy TV series era e-book by anyone
    August: Data novel (if he doesn't return to Starfleet by the end of Light Fantastic) by Jeffrey Lang
    If he doesn't return to TNG, then I would love a spin-off series focused on Data, and if TLF is as good as Immortal Coil then Jeffrey Lang should just keep going with Data
    September: A themed antholgy
    I really enjoyed the themed anthologies we used to get, and would love to see a return of those types of books
    Rise of the Federation book 3
    I think we already heard this is happening, didn't we?
    October: Something new by KRAD
    I miss KRAD writing Trek
    VOY TV series e-book by anybody
    November: The Seekers 3 by David Mack
    Since this will mostly likely go beyond just 2 books
    December: The Seekers 4 by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
    Since we got one we might as well get a second for the other ship/crew.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  9. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12 x DS9

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just realized I forgot about JJM's Aventine novel. So I would switch out the new author book for that.

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

- The next two Voyager novels, concluding this trilogy and then another book after that too. Really just as fast as she can write them, keep 'em coming.

- A bigass DS9 duo or trilogy, featuring a present-day storyline that picks up from Revelations & Dust and flashbacks to the Ascendants resolution as well, masterfully orchestrated by DRG3.

- The end of New Frontier.

- The other 6 or 7 can be split between TNG, Seekers, Enterprise, Titan, TOS (and apparently Aventine) in whatever way seems fair, just as long as Michael A. Martin is banished forever. I'm less personally invested in these, and I'd just like a variety.

- An multi-part eBook mini-event featuring a story from within the TNG show, preferably early on. I've always thought (and The Buried Age proved to me) that writing TNG's first season characters from the perspective of now could be enlightening and pretty entertaining too.

12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Although the resulting ragestorm on this board would at least be entertaining! ;)

(To be fair, though, I do agree. After all this time, if the Ascendents conclusion does get written/released, it should not be an eBook exclusive. OTOH, I am intrigued by the thought of regular-novel-length eBook exclusives as "extra" novels in the schedule....)

13. j3067

j3067 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

January
    Rise of The Federation: CLB

February
    TNG/Post Fall: KRAD

March
    VOY: Beyer
    Titan eBook: Andy Mangels (solo)

April
    The Seekers: Mack

May
    Voyager: Beyer
    TOS Movie Era eBook: McGintee

June
    DS9 Duology 1: Una McCormack

July
    DS9 Duology 2: Una McCormack
    Data Ebook: Jeffery Lang

August
    TOS: Ward

September:
    Aventine Stand Alone: New Author
    Demeter/O'Donnell eBook: Beyer

October/Nov/Dec:
    24th Century Crossover Trilogy: Mack
    December: Rise of the Federation eBook: CLB

14. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, novel-length eBook exclusives are good, or at the very least, regular novella-length eBooks. Just more Star Trek in general, really.

15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I can contribute to this discussion is that I'd love to see another Articles of the Federation-style story -- novel or e-book -- about the Federation government under
    President zh'Tarash. I think she's a really interesting character and I'd like to see her fleshed out some more, and it'd be fun to see more about what's going on in the Federation Council post-Bacco and post-Ishan.

16. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed. I know the writers have apparently committed to taking us out of the political briar patch at last, back to the strange new worlds, but I would like The Fall's... well, fallout, to be followed up on if at all possible. I'd like to see
    which Federation Councillors were counted among the "hawks", which supported Ishan and which were hoping to see him fail, who was counted among Andor's friends on the Council and who wasn't. With the external politics settling over, maybe we can explore the lower-key but equally important world of Federation internal politics?

For example, there was a wonderful scene in The Poisoned Chalice where Velk calls ch'Nuillan's bluff (essentially), and ch'Nuillan says to him "you people never understood us, not from the beginning". Although Velk doesn't represent the Tellarites, that's clearly ch'Nuillan's meaning - "Tellarites think we just bluster and posture the way they do, but we don't. Andorians really are that nuts". (;)) It immediately made me wonder where Councillor Gleer stood on the Andorian issue...

As for the book schedule: Get us the final SCE omnibus, please! We're still waiting for it.

A SCE novel would be nice, actually; maybe featuring Biron, who never got his hoped-for "next encounter" with the da Vinci... that we know of.

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a dream last night where a final Corps of Engineers omnibus came out, but it was shaped like a Panini Books graphic novel, and I was glad that it existed, but mad that it didn't line up with the others on my shelf.

Also it included the Slings and Arrows stories.

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

The Powers That Be are generous, yet they like to remind us who's boss. Their gifts have thorns.

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9 Ascendants - I miss Vaughn
    Seekers - I wouldn't change anything besides making it one a month. :D
    I'd get KRAD involved somehow.
    Harriman Lost Era book is happening already.
    I'd love an Excelsior series.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A big trilogy telling a novelverse version of the ST'09 Spock/Supernova/Romulus destruction story and it's fallout.

A ton of nuTrek novels.

A grand finale to New Frontier.

A man can dream...