La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

^Thanks for that, IndySolo! Much appreciated :)

2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you have Windows use Exact Audio Copy and use the CD-Text that way.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the tape hiss issue: Different people have different abilities to hear very high-frequency sounds, especially since that ability tends to decline with age (presbycusis, as I mentioned earlier). So not everyone would be able to hear something as high as tape hiss. I'm actually a little surprised I don't seem to be losing any of my high-frequency hearing yet.

And the tape hiss only seems to be on the pilots and "The Man Trap." I didn't notice any on "The Naked Time." Also I'm not sure how much of it was hiss. There seemed to be some sort of ambient sounds from the recording studio or something as well.

4. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is always a small amount of tape hiss. It is inherent in the recording medium, and I've heard it faintly to varying degrees on all tracks.

I fully expected it, and am pleasantly happy with how little of it there actually is.

5. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did that too. Some music cues I remember from being used in other episodes different than the ones they originally were for.

-Chris

6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I can't find any tracking info on my set, and I want to listen to it today!

7. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

22 Stars,

The track listing is included in the booklets for each season, and summarized on the back of each clamshell.

In addition, the track listing is embedded on the CDs in CD-TEXT.

There are free plugins for iTunes and Windows Media Player that will read the CD-TEXT information.

If you mean which cues were tracked into each episode, that is not documented in the set, but not too difficult to figure out by watching the episodes and identifying each tracked cue, though this would be time-consuming.

8. cbspock

Thanks that script it worked.

-Chris

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he means he wants to know where his CDs are...

10. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

So happy to have received my set. Slowly listening through it :techman:

The script worked wonder for me as well, except for Season 2 discs 2 & 3. Got an error on those two so input the info manually, no Bitter Dregs here :devil:

11. cbspock

I didnt get that far yet. Did you submit the track names to gracenote I hope, so I don't have to type them :p

-Chris

12. cbspock

Disc 2 I got the error, Disc 3 worked for me. Disc 5 got the error

-Chris

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  13. Malformed

Malformed Lieutenant Red Shirt

Got Them, sir!

Just arrived to today and I am thrilled and astounded with the quality. Thank you, La-La, thank you.

And yes! I think we should start an TOS Score Box Set Appreciation Thread immediately so we can discuss we glee the individual tracks, cues etc...

14. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

It's not a lack of support. I'd love to have the set. It's a lack of money. :D

Not a worry. Posts like that amuse, not anger me.

I wish. I do get stuff and it would be worth the work I would then have to do to review it.

OK sport. I realize that I didn't do the gushing that the rest of the posters did (which is kind of funny in a twisted way because I suspect that I'd love the set) but here is something that YOU need to know. This is not a "cheerleading board" meaning that sometimes, someone will post an unpopular opinion.

The cost is high. That is not a complaint as it most probably IS worth it, but for me, it's too expensive. I was surprised that so many here bought it, because after over a decade online and real life acquaintance with many fellow Trekkies, most barely have a pot to piss in and so it was surprising to see that so many COULD afford this.

I did NOT "disparaging refer to it as a hobby." It IS a hobby. I don't know how it works in your world, but in mine, there is a limited amount of money for hobbies. Know that I LOVE hobbies and have several including Trek. Do you think I'd put up with some of the stupidity I put up with here on a daily basis if I didn't love Trek?

I've had to say this to others during my tenure here, but it's the first time I've ever had to use it defend myself. Again - it's not the cheerleader board, but a DISCUSSION board and sometimes people will have opinions you don't like. That's how it goes. Deal with it.

My inability to purchase the set at present and my envy of those who can afford is by no means to be taken as a disparagement of this noteworthy project. I hope the thing sells out, personally and wish nothing but the best to those who created it.

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Yay, mine shipped today. Hopefully will have it by the end of the week so I can deal with ripping.

In regards to the above, my unsolicited two cents would be that I think/hope this was a miscommunication more than anything else. A "shake hands and forget about it" approach might be merited.

16. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

My mistake, it was disc 2 and 5 that gave me trouble.

How do you upload to Gracenote?

17. cbspock

One you have the CD with the track names, you can upload the names to gracenotes, its an option off the same menu where you request the names.

-Chris

18. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

It's moved in iTunes 11. I should know....I had to find it when I uploaded them.

Neil

19. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Mine came today. Just finished listening to Disc 1, starting Disc 2.

Awesome. Thanks for all the hard work putting this together!

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just listened to the whole of Season 1, Disc 3 (all the Steiner stuff except "City" and library) in one sitting, and it made me very happy. There were numerous points where I was just giggling with maniacal glee after hearing one cue or another. This is the sound of Star Trek, folks.

The liner notes explain something I'd never realized before -- that the recurring 9-note motif that Steiner used in a lot of his scores (first heard in "Charlie X": "Zap the Pistol") was his Kirk theme. I just thought of it as a nonspecific motif he liked to reuse, but I guess it makes sense that it was a Kirk theme (especially since "Android Kirk" in "What Are Little Girls Made Of" is built upon it).

We were talking before about the rare instances of TOS composers using other composers' themes besides the main-title fanfare, and I noticed another one: Steiner using Courage's "Captain's Theme" as introductory or closing cues in "Charlie" and "Mudd's Women" -- and arranging it gorgeously. "Finale" from "Charlie X" is one of my all-time favorite cues.

It's also interesting how much of the stuff I thought was tracked from one scene of "Charlie X" to another was actually the same motifs performed more than once with slight variations at the beginning or end. Steiner did like to reuse his own stuff, both within and between episodes. Like taking the beginning of "Condition Alert" from "Corbomite" and following it with the Romulan theme to produce the Blackship Theme in "Mirror, Mirror," for just one example.

"Romulan Agitato" puzzles me. The last few moments of it are familiar, but the rest doesn't sound like something I've heard before. Was this cue only partially used in the episode, or were the early portions buried under sound effects or something?

And I never realized it before, but the chord structure and pacing of the low strings in "Ruk Attacks" reminds me of the middle part of the "V'Ger Speaks" cue that Steiner arranged for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That's a neat thing to notice.

The one thing that disappointed me here: I actually like the Varese Sarabande re-recording version of "Planet Rigel" (from "Mudd's Women") better than the original. The re-recording has the bass strings play more emphatically, and I like that. But getting the original version of "Charlie's Mystery" at its proper tempo makes up for it.

(By the way, if anyone wants to start a separate thread for discussing the content of the set, the moderator is welcome to move this post and my previous review comments there.)