The First Poster for INTO DARKNESS Has Just Been Revealed...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by cooleddie74, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Killer1021a

Killer1021a Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey guys, was browsing around online tonight, and a friend sent me this, looks pretty authentic to me. Figured I'd share it with my fellow Trekkies :)

[​IMG]

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I hope you're right! It looks pretty sweet...what's that being reflected in Kirk's helmet visor? A spacecraft? Is Kirk doing an EVA spacewalk to take a closer look at a vessel?

Oh well...we'll see if it's genuine. Thanks for posting!

3. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

You think you can find a bigger one?

4. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Botany Bay? :confused:

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The helmet looks oddly tall and egg shaped.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Doesn't look like either the ENT helmets from the fan poster just upthread or the helmet seen in spy photos as part of Spock's "volcano suit," though. Can't make out what it is that's being reflected in the helmet faceplate, but I do note the non-pointiness of Kirk's sideburns. Not a bad look, but going to guess more fan art.

7. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ Methinks you're right, but it is nice.

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup. That's Carrie-Anne Moss's space helmet from "Red Planet:"

[​IMG]

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And...another one bites the dust.

C'mon, Paramount. Make with the real thing dammit.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh wow, Gep wins the day! That's very cool.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

For the Andorian and Zaranite crewmembers.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, for future reference: I think we can safely assume that anything "a friend sent," anything that just popped up from some unspecified online source, is a fake. The authentic one will be announced on all the big media sites and we'll know it's official because they said so.

But at least one of the fakers finally figured out the difference between a teaser poster and a later poster with credits. I wonder if they were reading this thread.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just why exactly does that space suit have boobs?

Similarly in Prometheus: males have a full chest armor and more casual clothing, but the female make sure it it stops just above their breasts in the tight catsuit of course. :lol:

Oh my, I love Hollywood.

14. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Hey guys. :)

Both of the posters was me, messing around. :) I was just trying to see if I could get some discussion going, while dropping hints about a new model I built.

I had some help from a couple of friends getting them posted earlier on. :D

So, here's a couple of larger images, and pictures of the new model. I'm going to go and post it in the art section also. :)

[​IMG]

Larger: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany Bay/IntoDarknessPoster2_zpsd3611d5d.jpg

And the next one... I'm surprised the helmet got spotted so fast!

[​IMG]

Larger:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany Bay/IntoDarknessTeaser_zps915e7463.jpg

And, the Botany Bay! It even has lasers and missile launchers and everything! :)

[​IMG]

1920x1080: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany Bay/BotanyBayOhNo_zps2a520fbf.jpg

[​IMG]

1920x1080: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany Bay/BotanyBayOhNo2_zps14cfe571.jpg

So, what do y'all think? :)

-Ricky

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I wasn't familiar with that movie, but I believe you've nailed it.

Sure, but it'll still be fun to pick the fan-mades apart, just for the exercise.

I don't think I'd rule it out.

Edit:

Heh, good one. :lol:

Aha, that's the very shape I was trying to ID from the poster! Niiiice! :techman: But then, you always did do nice work, MadMan. Good to see you around again, and I think those'll go over very well in the Art forum.

That Gep has got a pretty good eye for detail. ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  16. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank god IT'S A FAKE!

Nicely done!

17. Christopher

Uhhhhhhhhh... why? The Botany Bay was a sublight sleeper ship, probably designed for interplanetary travel. Even if there'd been anyone for it to fight, there wouldn't have been anyone awake to operate the weapons.

18. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Thanks guys. :)

Well, sure, it's a sleeper ship, but who knows what they would have found on the other end? I don't think Khan had a specific destination in mind, did he?

:)

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ Regardless of what's supposed to be there or not, it's nice. Avatar's nice too, btw. I like a ship that smiles. ;)

20. Christopher

Khan didn't design the ship; it was a pre-existing model. As Spock explained:

Khan and his followers had been beaten and were on the verge of arrest. They had to flee. They somehow obtained an existing DY-100-class vessel intended for interplanetary travel and managed to escape in it, taking a mad chance by trying to reach another star. This was a ship designed for going to Mars or the asteroids or the moons of Jupiter, most likely. There's no reason it would've been armed.

And they had to have a specific destination in mind. Space is huge and empty. Any randomly chosen vector will probably just lead you to drift forever in the void. The only way you'd reach another star system is by setting a course for it in advance -- and even then you'd have a good chance of missing it if your calculations were off even minutely. That may well be what happened with the Botany Bay.

Given their course in the direction of Menkar (Alpha Ceti, or "Ceti Alpha" as ST called it for some reason), the most likely candidates for their target star would've been Gliese 105 and Kappa Ceti -- neither of which would be ideal choices for habitability, but they're the only nearby stars in roughly that direction, and they're at least borderline cases.