The new Post Your Desktop thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Chris3123, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Speak for yourself.

I prefer mice.

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Rookie.

I'm into bats!

[​IMG]

:cool:

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Back to being serious for a moment, yeah, we have quite a few that live near us in the woods and as soon as the sun goes down they're out and about, so it's pretty cool seeing bats daily, well nightly.

Used to have a website of bat desktops bookmarked but looks like I've lost it, going to try and find that again.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Mice. Bats. Ponies.

As long as they fight evil, spread decency and have awesome merchandise to buy I'm cool. :cool:

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Indeed :D

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have my Win7 backgrounds setup for a slide show, so here's all the ones I currently use.The originals are sized to stretch across my two widescreen monitors. This is my work computer, so no icons.

BTW, the fourth one down looks like a render, but it is an actual photo of Mars from one of our spacecraft!
    [​IMG]

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

LCARS is coming along nicely now... of course the background is edited for the forum lol :p

M

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I believe that fourth one is a crop of the image which can be seen on this page, and that the crater on the terminator just above the center in your image is Gale Crater, site of the recent Mars Curiosity rover landing.

9. B.J.

That's it! Amazing picture, that one.

10. cooleddie74

That many F-15 Eagles on one runway? Gorgeous.

My favorite air superiority fighter aircraft, hands down.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I've always loved the design of the F-15, used to have an old die-cast model but no idea what happened to it.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Mine too. Though I think those might be Strike Eagles. Hard to tell.

I do have to give props to the Sokhoi's though. Having seen both the Chakra and Cobra performed live, I have to see they really are an amazing spectacle and pretty much beyond the capabilities of the F-15C. Though, many would argue that flamboyant maneuvers are all the Su-27, 35, and 37 are good for. Non of them have really been battle tested, whereas the F-15 has been put through the wringer countless times.

The classic F/A-18 is and probably will always be (all around) my favorite jet-fighter--I'm not as big a fan of the Super Hornet. It's appearance is just so elegant and graceful. And while it never got the chance to prove itself as an interceptor, it was probably the most effective attacker, next to the A-10, in both Iraq wars--even more-so than the F-117 IMO.

And my only real qualms about the Super Hornet are because I think it lost most of that "elegance and grace" with the redesign. Have to say though, the Growler if pretty epic. I never gave much credence to electronic support attackers because I thought it was a job best left to AWACS, but that thing makes a really strong argument.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent. Back to wallpaper!

13. B.J.

The specific picture that I cropped for the F-15s (which are F-15Es, BTW) is here:
    http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/120416-F-MN146-839.jpg (4256x2832)

Here's another:
    http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/120416-F-MN146-710.jpg (3114x2211)

And here's an AF story on the "Elephant Walk" of 70(!) F-15Es, with more pics:
    http://www.seymourjohnson.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123298198

Side note: I've been very fortunate to have done some structural design on both the F-15 and the F/A-18E/F in the past, which is why they're both in my backgrounds. Amazing aircraft!

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

^ Looking at the last image of the set you posted above, B.J., is that an E-2 in the foreground left?

15. Methos

rekindling my love for green women :D

[​IMG]

M

16. cooleddie74

Never seen any Yvonne Craig wallpaper before. Nice.

17. Methos

had a few before, both of her as an Orion, and her as Batgirl... quite a hottie, so she's a regular on my desktop lol

M

18. B.J.

Either that or a C-2 Greyhound. I'm not familiar enough with them to tell the differences from this angle, if there are any.

19. Methos

Another one of my Yvonne Craig desktops...

[​IMG]

had that WP for a while now, really need to redo it actually... doesn't look good stretched to my resolution, must have made it when i was on an older system...

M

20. cooleddie74

Hard to believe she's in her mid-seventies now, but at least she's still with us unlike so many other cult TV stars over the decades. She was like the Nicole deBoer of her day in more ways than one. :)