NewsCorp may buy Simon & Schuster

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cal888, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Cool! :cool:

2. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know...in terms of NewsCorp, its not just Murdoch the person that's evil...its the company as well that I have serious problems with. Chik-Fil-A might be run by homophobes, but its official policies have not been all that stomach churning. NewsCorp itself if problematic. I refuse to watch Fox entertainment because I'm horrifically appalled by Fox News. What that company has done to media across the board has been awful. I might not want to have a beer with Michael Eisner at Disney, but Disney does not regularly antagonize me with its behavior in the same way that NewsCorp does.

As a side note, I always found it amusing that DC Comics in the 80s modeled the revamped Lex Luthor and his company LexCorp off of Rupert Murdoch. It makes perfect sense that they guy has become the symbol of corporate evil. Also amusing that DC Comics would eventually be gobbled up by Time Warner, owner of CNN who's biggest competitor is NewsCorp and Fox News.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, Simon & Schuster has published many books by right-wing authors such as Glenn Beck over the years. So it's not as if Star Trek books have never been corporately linked to anything right-wing before. I think any large corporation is going to encompass a wide range of viewpoints in its products -- because, let's face it, the bottom line is always going to be how much money they can make from it, regardless of where it falls on the political spectrum. NewsCorp may own FOX "News," but it also owns the FOX Network, whose shows like The Simpsons and Married... With Children have spent decades lampooning and undermining the very same traditional values that FOX "News" purports to defend.

I once considered whether to give up buying Kraft cheese products when I learned that Kraft was owned by Philip Morris, the tobacco company. But I ultimately decided not to. Corporations are just too interlinked today; with so few megacorporations with their fingers in so many pies, there probably isn't a single one that doesn't touch our lives constantly in ways we don't even realize. Money, physical and otherwise, flows through all sectors of the economy -- that's what it's for. The idea that we can somehow avoid doing any kind of business that connects to someone or something we don't care for is probably a fantasy.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've heard for a while now that if you trace down every single company to who owns the company that owns that company, ect. you'd eventually end up with only about a half dozen major corporations.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So does not having anything to do with News Corp extned as far as any film whuch uses say Fox Studios Australia to film some of it's scenes. No matter which company actually releases the film.

6. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Yep, it is. I don't pretend to be politically or morally perfect, but at least I can try.

Look, it's about choices. I have a limited number of dollars to spend, so I have to choose where to spend them. So, I make an attempt to reward corporations that I think are good citizens, and avoid rewarding corporations that are bad citizens. ExxonMobil is one example of a company I avoid patronizing; even while I recognize that some of the gasoline I buy from Citgo or Sinclair may have been refined at an EM refinery or moved on an EM tanker. So, I do what I can do and call it good -- I don't buy gas from EM-branded gas stations (even though I know that they're probably owned by some small company that licenses the name.)

It's an imperfect world, as Christopher so aptly points out above, where big corporations are so intertwined and interrelated it's impossible to avoid doing business with any particular egregious corporate citizen.

But what alternative do I have? I simply can't force myself to walk into a Chik-Fil-A without losing all self-respect, so I go around the corner to KFC when I have a hankering for greasy chicken.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I thought the Chik-Fil-A situation was resolved. Back in September, it was announced that they'd ceased donating money to "organizations that promote discrimination, specifically against LGBT civil rights." They've already caved to public opinion. If anything, it might be better if people did support their business now in order to express approval for that new policy. If they lost business while they supported discrimination and gained business back again after ending that policy, it would give them an incentive to continue on the right path. Well, hopefully. I think that as a rule, positive reinforcement does more good than negative. You can be more successful at changing people's behavior by giving them rewards for changing than by punishing them for not changing.

8. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I can't believe I didn't hear about the policy change before now. Thanks for sharing this.

ETA: After discussing this with some of my family, it was brought to my attention that Chick-Fil-A has said they've "made no such concessions" and are being very ambiguous about whether they are or are not still donating to those groups. They say they continue to support family-centric groups, but don't specify which family-centric groups.

Which could mean that either nothing's changed and they're just trying to keep quiet about it now so it casts reasonable doubt, or they may not want to admit they stopped donating to Focus on the Family because they don't want to bring about a boycott from the anti-gay groups as well. (Check out Josh Hutchison's reply at http://www.mikehuckabee.com/mike-huckabee-news?ID=ed5ad355-ce28-47f4-806e-63cb9145e01a for an example.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/03/chick-fil-a-president-dan-cathy-biblical-families-_n_1935786.html

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Well said Chris! Only problem is management techniques are slow to adapt to this type of thinking. I know where I work (like many others) it's all stick and no carrot.

10. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Costco is a major part of my life right now because I have deduced that Kirkland brand raisin bran is like unto manna from heaven. :drool:

12. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

As Fer points out, Chick-fil-A's COO and President Dan Cathy has denied that anything is changing. So, I'm still not eating there.

13. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In addition, Chick-Fil-A had record sales during the time this controversy was going on, from support of people who agree with their stands.