William Shatner Calls J.J. Abrams "a Pig" for Hogging Both Star Trek a

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by PKerr, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Loskene

Loskene Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: William Shatner Calls J.J. Abrams "a Pig" for Hogging Both Star Tr

Don't be silly, you should go watch or rewatch some Star Trek episodes, of some of them do. I am surprised someone on this sight didn't know that there were explosions in "old" or real Star Trek. They do a great job of accenting the story usually.

The first Movie is not really Star Trek like and the second isn't measuring up to be either.

I them them to explore strange new places, seek out new life and new civilizations and boldly go where no man has gone before. This one takes place on Earth where they have to stop a dangerous new enemy that threats to destroy the... Ect Ect.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm well known for my negative views on Abrams, but I don't believe in putting Prime Trek on a pedestal, unless I'm doing one of my anti-Abrams rants in the Trek XI forum.

Not very much of Star Trek is about exploring, despite the catchphrase "to boldly go where no man/one has gone before." TOS and TNG had the Enterprise and crew going on Starfleet assigned missions, DS9 was a space station dealing with internal issues, Voyager was about getting home. Enterprise was about pure exploration, until its viewers disappeared than they went on a mission of combat and finally the show became continuity masturbation until the plug was pulled.

None of the ten Prime movies were about exploration at all. In fact, only the last two were even about aliens who never appeared on the TV shows. Although dialogue indicates that these aliens were already known to the Federation despite being new to the audiences.

Now, I don't think Abrams is taking Trek in the right direction, but not because there's a lack of exploration, because XI just isn't a good movie. It's a lazy and meaningless popcorn flick. Into Darkness looks better, but it would be nice if some information was made available instead of this silly shroud of secrecy Abrams insists on doing everything in.

3. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This should probably be quoted for emphasis at least once on every page of every thread where Shatner's name appears.

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I can't say I "get" Shatner's sense of humor, but that's what this is.

5. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

He may be joking around, but like most jokes there is some kernel of truth in it.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Very few movies costing $200 million dollars get bankrolled these days without the requisite combat and explosions.

There's some smart and some dumb Star Trek and much that falls in between those two distinctions. Star Trek 2009 falls somewhere in between.

7. Loskene

That somewhere would Star Wars. Star Wars is good in its own right but it isn't Star Trek.

I do like the part where Spock flies his X-Wing into the Death Star before it destroys earth though.

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

There's always a bit of truth behind every joke. I have no doubt that Shatner is jealous of JJ, and a little ticked off at him for not finding a way to put him in either of JJ's Star Trek movies. Yeah, he's joking, but knowing his past behavior there's a different agenda here than just a joke.

[​IMG]
    Shatner: (muttering) Damn you, damn you for stealing my thunder!

9. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

'I just have one thing to say. You're anscestors are all pig-apes'

The Palistinian president Abdinijad? or one of the axis of evil country presidents..
    anyway,
    It's safe to say they're both pig-apes, that's for sure, but where is hitler when you really need him. Nimoy sold the original old universe out anyway I guess as a farewell FU to the fans. So that's what the Vulcan salute really means. Shatner is right. He's a good director but he ain't no star Trek writer., and neither are any of the other keystone cops team. Trek is about profound ideas and concepts and giant questions. Trek '09 was a giant goose egg. Trek has turned into Humpty Dumpty.

10. BillJ

You must've missed the one where the captain fights the guy in the lizard suit, missed the one where the security chief was abducted by the planet of black people, missed the one where the crew played a live action board game, missed the one where the captain played out fantasies in Old Ireland, missed the one where the captain's dog pissed on a tree...

Do I really need to go on?

11. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

That is a bad joke right?

You are aware that there are movies that don't have explosions as their main theme?

There is a difference between smart and dumb entertainment, guess which side of that fence the new Star Trek is angling for.[/QUOTE]

straightforward action has been part of Star Trek almost from day one. Two of the most successful Trek movies are TWOK and FC, both of which are essentially action movies.

12. Loskene

... pffft.

That made me laugh thanks. You have quite a sense of humor.

The action did accent the story of those movies well though. They did go a bit overboard on First Contact though, the dialog made up for though.

13. BillJ

Most Trek movies are action-oriented. Every NextGen film had physical altercations and spaceship battles. The only one that felt like it had any kind of soul was Nemesis.

You're trying to damn one film for having elements which most of the films have in abundance.

14. Loskene

Generations = Terrible
    First Contact = Good
    Insurrection = /Vomits
    Nemesis = Mindless Action

First Contact was good because the Story not the Borg Cube Battle or fist fights. Not great but good. "A line must be drawn!"

I never said I damned JJ's Films, Star Trek is Star Wars with Captain Kirk.

15. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

ah, so in movies you like, the action "accents" the story, but in movies you don't, the movie's action means it's dumbed-down. Got it.

16. Gary7

Lemme guess... you're from Staten Island, aren't you? :rolleyes:

17. Gary7

:wtf: x 10000000000000000

I would say much much more but I don't want to blatantly insult you.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just wait until Abrams reboots TEKWAR . . . :)

19. BillJ

You mean Picard is allowed to get emotional because the Borg hurt him but Kirk and Spock aren't allowed to be emotional because Nero killed a parent of each one and destroyed a world inhabited by six billion beings?

I found the Borg portion of First Contact tedious and guilty of rehashing issues that had already been resolved during the TV series.

20. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh God,I hope this isn't some weird new euphemism!:rommie: