Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

They're never going to call this book Soaring Norrin.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Slott has said he has all of 2014 planned out for Spider-Man. As for beyond, not sure. I'm sure we'll get all of these details next month at NYCC.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love a Silver Surfer book...not so much with Allred art though. He's the current FF artist, yes, the guy who did Madman? Not really a fan.

Not sure how many were reading Savage Wolverine, a few read the Cho arc I think, but the second arc of three issues by Joe Mad just ended(#8) and while it was passable I'm inclined to drop the book. Anyone else read this arc? Plan on continuing?

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I dropped it after the Cho arc.

5. Admiral_Young

Slott writing Surfer should be interesting and I like Mike Allred's art. It has complimented the writing in FF extremely well. I can see it being the same for Silver Surfer.

Scarlet Spider was pretty cool. The current arc with Kraven is essentially a sequel to Grim Hunt.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Superior Spider-Man is a quality book? :lol:

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's entertaining, though not as entertaining as Bob Haney's The Brave and the Bold. To be fair, though, nothing is as entertaining as Haney's TBatB. :)

I don't find it particularly deep. I wish it were more Warren Ellis-like.

8. Admiral_Young

Warren Ellis' Marvel work has been hit or miss for me. Although I am looking forward to his taking over Avengers Assemble and the Endless Wartime OGN. Superior Spider-Man continues to be fantastic.

9. Guy Gardener

I sat in a small convention theatre listening to Kurt Busiak explain why "Photon" was a Better name for Monica than "Captain Marvel", but I was a much happier person back then much less full of piss and vinegar, so I just let it go. Uncontested I let that #########r shovel that bullshit. Telepathically I'm sending death threats to my younger 20 year old version of myself collaborating with such sanctimonious filth...

Speaking of growing up, as it was printed I read Next Wave and thought that "his" name (half this Cape's name was religiously censored.) was only Captain Fuck, but now that I am extraordinarily more bitter, I can see that his name must have been Captain Cunt.

We all grow up.

Where was I?

"Spectrum"?

Monica's name is now fricking Spectrum?

Surely that shouldn't be the word used anywhere this book when all the heroes in that cadre of Avengers happen to be the same.. Latina isn't black? "Woman of colour"? I mean sure it's high time that something like this just happened in the same way that Falcon must felt incredibly uncomfortable in the 80s, and it's not mistaken for blaxploitation... Otto is not a hero. I chose that word carefully.

I told my ten year old Niece that there was a squad of X-Men composed entirely of women... And the wee thing (My niece.) replied "Then why isn't the comic called "X-Women"? I then explained that if the comic was called X-Women, then statutorily all the team slots would have to be mandated to be filled by women and it's not breaking down any walls, "X-Women" becomes an explicit minority book (60 percent of the planet dude! Shut up.), but if the title remains good old fashioned X-Men, and the best characters who stand up to the plate just happen to be unanimously female, then that says that the boys suck and were beaten fairly without any affirmative action leaking through from the legend on the cover. She replied by rolling her eyes, and going back to killing things on Ratchet and Klank as if I was the crazy person.

No seriously.

"Spectrum".

Fuck.

It's awful, unnecessarily and Carol stole her name.

(I think I remember Carol asking Monica if it was alright, but that could be my imagination??)

Maybe Monica is trying to beat out Hank Pym for "most" super hero identities in the Guinness Book of records?

10. Admiral_Young

Carol and Monica may have discussed Carol taking on the name Captain Marvel in the first couple of issues of "Captain Marvel". I'm pretty sure they addressed this...I just don't remember when now.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm really enjoying Superior Spider-Man. It's a great status quo shake-up, and obviously it's just going to last a year or two then everything will be back to normal. It's like Breaking Bad! I can't wait to see how Otto's grand plans fall down all around him!

12. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Slott is writing the best Spider-Man in decades.

13. Guy Gardener

The switcharoo was mentioned on the Big Bang Theory the other night.

They called it the perfect blend of comic book fun and Freaky Friday.

14. Admiral_Young

15. Saga

well that isn't too hard to accomplish. Spider-Man hasn't been written very well since...what, the late 80s?

16. Guy Gardener

JMS did fantastic work, but the last half of the 90s were... Planet of the Symbionts?

####.

17. Saga

didn't JMS do the story where Gwen and Norman have secret kids? yeah, that was fucking awful.

18. Guy Gardener

You probably didn't understand that that story was all about Peter, and how hurt he was that Gwen had had Norman's baby and not his. It was very selfish of Gwen to betray Peter's masculinity like that, and it took a year to competently illustrate how sad he was that Osborn tapped that and he didn't.

It's almost like the Goblin, aware or the correct priorities, engineered her death so that Pete couldn't ever be his Eskimo buddy!

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"Eskimo buddy"? Is that like a bang bro? :lol:

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That was via editorial interference from Quesada. His original story was that they were Peter's and Gwen's kids.