Best Planet Of The Apes sequel?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Klingon, Dec 9, 2012.

?

Fave Planet Of The Apes sequel?

1. Beneath The Planet Of The Apes

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Escape From The Planet Of The Apes

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. Battle For The Planet Of The Apes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Klingon

Klingon Guest

Personally, I'd have to go for Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970). The end, with the hero being riddled with bullets and then Charlton Heston setting off the doomsday bomb. Classic.:techman:

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I voted for Escape from the Planet of the Apes, although the last time I saw the series I slightly favored the fourth installment.

(Obviously, the original is best, but I think the sequels aren't half-bad for their budget.)

3. Klingon

Klingon Guest

I think Escape is a little too talky and slow - especially for younger viewers.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Conquest, with Escape as runner-up.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I went with Escape. I think it does the best job of capturing the social satire of the original. And Beneath loses points for the lack of Roddy McDowall and Jerry Goldsmith.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Escape and Conquest for me. Both run almost neck and neck on my list with the 1971 film set on 20th century Earth as the slightly better of the two.

Battle has its moments but it's largely a mess and a very, very distant fifth among the original films.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably Escape, with Conquest a runner-up.

It's annoying that with production values that were in the ballpark with the first film, Beneath The Planet Of The Apes had a script that was so flat and uninvolving. The best review of the film I've seen was this one:

"Beneath The Planet Of The Apes is beneath the Planet Of The Apes."

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For what it's worth, the novelization of Battle by David Gerrold is much more coherent than the movie, which appears to have been badly edited. The novel fleshes out the various plotlines more, possibly incorporating scenes from the original script.

As it happened, I read the novelization before I saw the movie, and was disappointed that the movie wasn't more like the book!

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Conquest for me, with Escape a few steps behind. Then Beneath...and Battle in a distant last place. :)

10. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Beneath. Lots of Nova. Those creepy mutants removing their "faces" to worship their god the bomb. The end (of everything) with the voice over “In one of the countless billions of galaxies in the universe, lies a medium-sized star, and one of its satellites, a green and insignificant planet, is now dead.” That part always gave me the chills.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Beneath had the very creepy and menacing pipe organ music to accompany the Bomb Cult's worship services and Victor Buono(Batman's King Tut) as one of the mutant leaders. Those aspects were effective.

12. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Escape then beneath then conquest and finaly battle. Although the.Marky.mark Tim burron would come in last if it was choice. Rise may be 2nd if it was.a choice

13. pigletsgiblets

pigletsgiblets Commodore Commodore

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Conquest. Escape is a close second.

15. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't remember the title but the one with Ricardo Montalban.

16. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Overall, I think Conquest is the greatest sequel. I really love it's dark and violent edge. Governor Brent is a great villain.

That said, The last 20-30 minutes of Beneath is excellent. I like the end scenes as much as anything in the original film. I would rate this movie first if not for the fact that the rest of the film is mostly a retread and not that interesting.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

It might be weird as fuck but I love Beneath. Unfortunately I've only seen bits and pieces of Conquest and Battle.

18. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Escape... is by far the smartest and most enjoyable (I always loved that scene where the scientist explains time travel) but I like the apocalyptic tone of Beneath...

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't remember liking that much about Beneath other than the abundant Linda Harrison screen time.

And E-DUB, the one with Montalban is Conquest.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And a little bit of Escape.