Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

or hated as a child

For me it was "Eat all you rvegetables because there are children starving in .......... (whatever country can currently be inserted, when I was a child it was Biafra). How can me eating more than I wanted to help them? I never used this argument with my children.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

3. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I use this one on my daughter. And I have no shame about it, either.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

As a kid: "Wait till you get home" Well, hells, if I'm getting a punishment anyway bide as well make it worth the effort.

As an adult: YOLO (You Only Live Once) - Usually said right before someone does something stupid or dangerous or both.

That one always made me think: Then shouldn't I eat less so they can have some of my food?

5. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I think most children think that, I know I certainly did.

6. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

My sister always retorted, "Well, then send it to 'em!"

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I always and I mean always hated the term "Hoss." Back in the 80's it was a popular term to call a friend. Like "What's up Hoss," I would tell who ever said it to never use that word infront of me again, it's like nails on a chalk board for me. Seriously, don't use it.

8. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    "Stop complaining, there are people in worse situation than yours."

Grrrr... there are, so what?! If I have a broken leg and someone else had two broken legs, my broken leg doesn't hurt me any less just because someone has two broken legs!

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

[LEFT] "BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!"

Anyone who has ever dealt with kids has probably said this at some point, or at least heard it when they were kids. I try very hard not to say it to my nieces and nephew because it's a total BS line.
    [/LEFT]

10. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's only one rule. There are no rules.

This annoys me to no end. If there are no rules, then how can there only be one rule!

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Do as I say, not as I do. Hypocrisy.

12. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

No, it does not. I do believe that having an optimistic attitude somehow helps but the universe does not conspire in helping you! You have to work hard and do your share.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah the classics are the best!

Yeah I hate that. At the end of the day whatever your situation you can guarentee someone, somwhere, will have it worse...like you say, this doesn't really help you!

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I also dislike that one. Especially because it often seems to imply an accusation of selfishness, as though by discussing your own suffering you're somehow discounting other people's - when you're doing no such thing, and instead it's the person saying this who's discounting yours. Even when they mean well it's annoying. My grandmother says it sometimes (minus the aggressive "stop complaining" part) to try and prompt me out of my depressive episodes; she means no harm, but she doesn't seem to understand that depression warps your perceptions and your thinking, so even if you objecively acknowledge your relative good fortune, that does nothing to ease your subjective suffering, and you can't break out of that suffering just by acknowledging some hierarchy of pain.

15. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Along the same lines, my dad always used the line "parents don't need reasons". I hated that more than "because I said so".

16. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

"Because you need it." <- the explanation given to me when I used to ask why I had to have extra time on exams at primary school or use a laptop to type instead of writing, etc. (It turned out to be because I have crap eyesight. I only discovered the full reason for this when I had to sign a form saying I had the syndrome that causes my multisensory impairment at age 18, and hadn't even heard of it...)

17. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Another one I hate: "life isn't fair". Not the saying itself, but the situations in which it's used. So often I hear it agressively applied to a context that's entirely within the purview of human society, where there's every reason why things can and should be fair, and every reason why things should be arranged so that deprivation and struggle are minimized.

If someone complains because lightning struck a tree and it fell on their car by saying "it's not fair!", then by all means point out "life isn't fair", because it isn't. The natural world doesn't and simply cannot run on the basis of fairness, however we're defining it. If they suffer deprivation or struggle because of uncontrollable natural events, and wind up the only one who suffers such due to unfortunate luck, then, yes, their complaining is pointless and "life's not fair" is a valid response. But when someone's been inconvenienced by a social system that could easily be more cooperative, supportive and, well, fair-minded, it seems both distasteful and dishonest to apply "life's not fair" as though the person in question were whining about something that Simply Is.

Basically, it annoys me when people confuse the way the universe works with the way society works and act as if the second is as inevitable and unchallengable as the former.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  18. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

"Double down" and variations. This bit of gambling jargon slipped into the American political lexicon this year and seemed to be used in almost every single news article about our elections. So-and-so "doubled down" on such-and-such. Please, make it stop. Fortunately, the election is over so I'm not seeing that phrase anymore. Perhaps it has gone the way of the term "political football."

"That's unnatural." Usually used to denigrate people that the speaker doesn't like, such as gay folks. So is wearing synthetic fibers, eating processed food, and taking pharmaceutical medications. But you don't hear people shouting from the rooftops about all that, do you? Something being "unnatural" only seems to matter when pushing a moralistic agenda on others.

My mother's favorite: "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out." The emptiest of empty threats! :lol:

19. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Just thought of another one: "Giving 110%". I'm terrible at math, yet this saying makes me twitch. I'd hate to see what it does to actual mathematicians. ;)

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

"Everything happens for a reason."

Well, yeah, everything has a cause. But most people who say this mean that there's some deliberate purpose for this thing to have happened, like the universe did it deliberately, and therefore this horrendous thing is somehow good for you. Grrrrr.

And, related to that...

"God never gives us more than we can handle."

Oh yeah? Aside from the questionable theology... If it were true, there'd be a lot less alcohol abuse, fewer suicides, and less work for psychotherapists.