Tom Cruise=Damaged Commodity

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Master of Tarquin Hill, Jun 5, 2008.

1. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

Tom Cruises's latest endeavor "Valkyrie" is yet another title which I find compelling, but I am at the same time repulsed by because of the fact that it showplaces a cultist.

I would love to learn more about the man who planted a bomb that could have rid us of the scourge of Adolpf Hitler.

The fact that a delusional person like Cruise would try to take on the mantle of a true free-thinker is very saddening.

Hopefully, this film will be one day remade by people who aren't part of a cult.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This couldn't have been posted in the current Valkyrie thread because...why, exactly?

I say, if you're interested in the story, just go and see the movie. Forget the fact that Tom Cruise is in it, since he bothers you so much. See it for Brian Singer, Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, and Eddie Izzard.

3. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

BECAUSE I AM ME AND I AM SPECIAL AND I WILL NOT BOW TO AN ONGOING THREAD. XENU WOULD BURN ME IF I FOLLOWED YOUR ADVICE.

4. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Obsess, much?:rolleyes:

5. rType

rType Commander

Like the cult of those who obsess over the private lives of people they don't know?

6. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

What about the other actors? The director? Writer? Cinematographer? Soundtrack artists? Crew?

Do they not deserve your time or money? Is their work and product automatically inferior just because of the politics and beliefs of one of their coworkers?

Cruise has lots of money. He doesn't need any more, and your ticket sale won't help him any bit at all. But the others do need it. If you want people to make well-written, well-produced product, you need to support it with the vote of your dollar.

7. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh gee, well Tom Cruise isn't a hitman either, yet amazingly he did a good job playing one in Collateral.

This must be that thing they call "acting".

8. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    And he always plays straight men so convincingly.

Wow.......he REALLY is a GOOD actor!!!

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

If you're really interested about Operation Walküre go find a good history book since all i've heard about the movie is that it's the "hollywoodized" version of it (think U 571).

10. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep, those people weren't fighting for democracy at all. They simply wanted Hitler out of the picture, win the war and establish a military dictatorship in Germany.

Heroes my shiny German ass.

11. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't the conspirators think that Hitler was destroying Germany and they wanted to save their country. They considered themselves patriots. Democracy didn't really enter into it and I don't think anyone here mentioned democracy anyway. Hollywood makes movies to make money, not to be historically accurate. They'll change historical facts to make the story more dramatic, so if you want to learn more about a historical event, you'd be better off reading about it from different sources.

And I don't see anything wrong with saying that scientology is a cult either.

12. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just buy a used copy of it when it comes out on DVD.

13. Philo

Philo Commodore Commodore

Indeed, the German government does.

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Your inability to separate Tom Cruise's character in the movie from his real life personality is your failing, not his.

15. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel like discriminating against Cruise for his beliefs is as dispicable as any other kind of discrimination. As far as I know, scientologist are not hurting anyone, so why should I care? Cruise is a great actor.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always had the impression that the conspirators were "old school" military types annoyed at Hitler for ignoring the advice of military advisers, making boneheaded decisions and basically not running things as well as the military could. They called him the Little Corporal. They just wanted him out of the way so they could take over, not to mention the fact that Germany was being hammered by bombing by that point, so they were also trying to avoid Hitler's "fight to the death" philosophy, but I never got the impression they were interested in Jeffersonian democracy. A benign military dictatorship would have been more their style. They also wanted to make a separate peace with the Western allies to stop the Russians from taking over more German territory.

I'm interested in a movie about the conspiracy but I sure hope it isn't bowderlized to make these guys out to be something they're not. They're comparable to the military rule in Pakistan, which isn't democratic but does keep worse loonies at bay.

Tom Cruise certainly isn't inappropriate as an actor given the context, considering he's playing someone who probably was pretty rigid and old school in his thinking compared with the standards we'd be used to today. As the adherant of an oddball cult, Cruise is more of a freethinker than von Stauffenberg ever was. No doubt Von Stauffenberg would be horrified by Tom Cruise, but not because Cruise is illiberal.
    Which is a good point. What's with this ongoing inability to just let actors act and not expect them to resemble the characters they play (especially in beliefs or personality type, which cannot be seen onscreen anyway) as a precondition of their employment?

17. Paxil

Paxil Vice Admiral

Tom Cruise already sucked before it was revealed that he was insane. "Great actor", no fucking way. Every single one of his movies are crap.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't care if Cruise is a Scientologist, or if he's batshit insane, or whatever the hell he is. :rolleyes:

19. Paxil

Paxil Vice Admiral

You should care that he's a bad actor in bad movies.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

If he's a bad actor, that's got nothing to do with Scientology.