Borg images?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by CaptainJack, Jun 11, 2012.

1. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

I am looking for any info, or better yet any pics of the Borg Cube used in Q Who and BOBW. Hopefully not screen caps but actual pics of the real model. I have found 1 pic that I think is of the Cube at the "Star Trek The Experience" thing in Las Vegas. This pic shows a part of the cube close up near the bottom. It has parts falling off and it looks like the real thing.
    I would love some production shots or even anything Rick Sternbach has but I didnt want to bother him. Any info on parts used in the construction. Like Railroad hand rails and stair rails. Plus Photoetched brass used for detail.
    So did anyone take any good pics of the Cube at the Las Vegas Experience thing?

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek: The Tour / The Exhibition had the filming miniature on tour when it was in Detroit a few years ago. I was a volunteer and was able to aquire a press pass and I believe I have some photos of it. I can post them once I get home.

3. CaptainJack

That sounds great trekker670... Thank you.

4. trekker670

5. CaptainJack

Those are awesome. Is that the real cube used for filming? And do you have any close up detail pics?
    cool...

6. trekker670

Unfortunately, that's all I have, but as far as I know that is the filming model.

7. CaptainJack

I was gonna say, it does have alot of the same characteristics. I have some pics that I got elsewhere and it seems to have the same details.
    I wish I could find out more about the construction. I heard they used Gatorboard and Styrene. Plus I have seen some model railroad hand-rails and stair-rails in there. Plus some Plastruct beams. But I dont exactly know what they made the thin wire looking detail from. They could be metal or copper(painted) or they might be Styrene. But Im not sure how they would have bent the Styrene...
    I have to say that that model is BadAss. I love the detail look of it compared to the one used in First Contact. I really cant wait to see Q who and BOBW remastered so I can see more detail...
    I wonder if Mr. Rick Sternbach has any pics that he would be able to share?
    If anyone else here got any nice closeup shots I would love to see them...
    I should start another sentence with I...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  8. lewisniven

lewisniven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I recall hearing once that they just got a load of model kit sprues and stuck them together, just from any plastic kits they had knocking about, I'm sure there's WW2 tank parts and aeroplanes and all sorts in there.

9. CaptainJack

Im wondering what they made the thin wire type stuff out of. It could be styrene rods or it could be metal rods. I dont know if styrene can be bent at 90 degree angles tho, so I have to say its probably metal... maybe copper.
    I really want to ask Rick Sternbach because from what I have read he was in charge of that type of stuff and he might know. Not that he was the guy who built it.

So does anyone know what happened to that original Borg Cube variant 1 from the Star Trek experience show? Did it get auctioned off at that Christies auction a few years ago? Did it get lost? Or did anyone manage to get some up close detailed pics from it?
    Just the way it was constructed makes it hard to see how it was built. Like I have mentioned I see a couple parts that I know what they are like the Railroad stair-rails and hand-rails and alot of photo-etched brass. Plus I swear I can see some plastruct I beams in there. But as for the underlying detail and chunkyness I cannot make any of it out.
    Should I PM Mr. Sternbach and ask him if he remembers any details or has any behind the scene pics? Or would that be bothering him?

I have these images that I got from someone on a hobby-model forum and the guy claimed that he worked as an intern on the show at the time and got to touch up paint the cube before they filmed with it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  10. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, no pix. I wasn't really involved with the construction of the cube, just provided some astoundingly rough sketches of densities of details. Don't have those, either. There wasn't much of interest to me as a spaceship, being a cube and all. Later Borg hardware was different :)

11. CaptainJack

Thank you Rick for dropping by this thread and answering my questions. Since I havent done much research into who it was that was actually involved with the creation and or making of the first Borg Cube... I was wondering if you know who it actually was that made the cube in shop? Or maybe someone else here could answer that.
    For some reason I find the first Borg Cube fascinating. The detail, the look, just about everything about it. I cannot say the same for the First Contact Cube and Voyager Cubes. They were too solid and I just dont like the 45 degree angles. But thats just my opinion.
    It does suck that there is so little info about the First Cube. But, I can see why it would not be that interesting from a design standpoint. I also can see why they went with a more solid design for First Contact considering that just the way the First Cube was constructed lends itself to falling apart whilst sitting in storage and by being handled roughly...

12. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fantastic photos, CaptainJack!

13. CaptainJack

I forgot to mention that the last 2 pics were apparently from the Cube when it was at the Star Trek Experience thing and the first 2 are from the guy who said he was an intern on the show and his job at that time was to touch up the cube before filming by painting highlights. So he said he snapped those pics.
    I have since figured out that you CAN bend styrene rods. So Im thinking thats what the thin rod detail is made of.
    Of course if anyone else has ANY more pics of the cube I would love to see them...
    By the way. This is why I am so interested. I still have a little more detail to go...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  14. CaptainJack

I was gonna edit my last post to update the pic. But it wont let me. Added some Stair-Rails and Hand-Rails and Plastruct Beams just like the original...[​IMG]

15. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

Nice work! :techman:

16. CaptainJack

Thank you Alrik, I still have plenty of detail pieces to add. Thats part of the reason I was asking if anyone had more info or pics of the real Cube...

17. Igard

Igard Lieutenant Red Shirt

CaptainJack, that is awesome work buddy! Really nice project there. I might attempt one of these someday once I've got enough sprue collected! :)

18. CaptainJack

Does anyone know how to contact Kim Bailey? I would like to contact him about her work on the Original Borg Cube...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012