Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Sep 8, 2012.

?

How would you rate Dredd?

1. Excellent

50.0%
  2. Good

38.8%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. A bit poor

3.8%
  5. Awful

2.5%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does Mega-City One look anything like the comic or Stallone versions?

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I read great reviews, but the trailers make me go "Meh."

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The trailer made me go meh too, almost didn't see it because of the trailer, enjoyed it nonetheless.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Same. But now when I rewatch the trailer it looks all the more awesome.
    I'll definitely be seeing it again sometime soon

"Wait."
    :D

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice to see that at least one actor from Charlie Jade is in it. :techman:

(it's Langley Kirkwood, i.e. Judge Lex)

6. hammerhead

hammerhead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Like I said its more realistic, so think lots of old style tower blocks and current day type cities with massive megablocks in between them. I like it as it keeps it real, basically a current day city with mega blocks smack bang in the middle of them. And they look neon lighted outside but slums inside.

Obviously lower budget than Stallone one but the story is great

7. Bob The Skutter

I will probably be seeing it today, a friend said he wanted to see it and we're meeting up today so I guess we'll end up seeing it. I saw Lawless yesterday and my initial impression is I enjoyed Dredd more than Lawless.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I would have liked Mega City 1 to look more like the MC1 I know so well, but that's one of my few gripes with the film and I realise it's down to budget more than anything. The depiction of the city is probably the only thing the stallone film has over this though (and I kinda like the Stallone film)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Well look at it this way, MC1 is so *HUGE* it makes even the most sprawling real world city look like a piddling housing estate by comparison. So whatever was show in the movie is just one "small" area. There could easily be several more densely populated sectors that look much more like in the comics and with a bit of luck, we'll see them in the sequel(s). Also keep in mind that those "modern" buildings crowded around the futuristic blocs would be mostly 100+ years old. That whole sector is a run-down slum.

10. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Generally a solid fun film. Urban was great, as was the woman playing Anderson once I'd gotten my head round the fact she was a rookie rather than the more experienced comic character.

The villain was fine (though in terms of a cheap to realise on screen crinimal P.J. Maybe could have filled most of her role easily); and lots and lots of 80's style uber violence that, in the desperate desire for a US PG-13 rating, we rarely get these days.

The bad:

Other than a brief subplot with some other Judges the entire film is in the trailer (including Ma Ma's ending). If you're pushed for time you could just watch the trailer and all you're missing is lots of violence.

The low budget did show up in a few places (most noticeably that when Dredd's distress call is first answered only two Judges turn up).

It was a bit more serious that the usually bonkers gallows humour of the comic. Something like Dredd arresting the hostage he rescues near the start for some really minor crime would have been more in keeping with the tone.

Still a very solid foundation for future films though.

11. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Do you hear Urbans regular voice when Dredd is talking?

12. Bob The Skutter

What do you mean? It's not computer enhanced if that's what you mean?

13. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Does he sound like Bones or more like Bale Batman?

14. Bob The Skutter

Well neither of his would be his natural accent. This is how he normally sounds. You can hear his Judge Dredd speaking voice in the trailer.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

He sounds like Clint Eastwood...exactly as he should :techman:

16. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I loved it. Urban and Thirlby totally nailed their characters. Here's hoping for a sequel.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was great, except for the fact that they didn't make Dredd black* like the original character it was pretty much everything you could ask for in a JD film with the budget they had.

* If you don't know, don't ask :-)

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think Thirlby's performance is what I'm most curious to see in this film.

I'm by no means an expert in Dredd/2000AD lore, but what stories I have read that feature Anderson have left me with a very ill defined sense of her character. Possibly part of the problem is that like Dredd, she's evolved a lot since her initial appearance and I probably read everything either out of order or missing great chunks of story, to say nothing of the general shift in tone over the years.

Still, I'm left with the impression that the various writers who've written her over the years can't decide between making her a flippant, devil-may-care, almost reckless (yet somehow still heroic) character or a much deeper, more withdrawn character with an ironic wit that is almost Dredd like in it's dryness. This also seems to be reflected in the artwork which seems to swing wildly from a blonde Jessica Rabbit type to something much more demure.

So, out of curiosity, which direction does Thirlby take with the Anderson?

19. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She's not really like any prior "on page" version as this is her rookie assessment (presumably by coincidence the Big Finish Dredd audios also started by having Dredd taking a rookie on assignment with him, guess it's an obvious intro to the world). It's easy to see her growing into the more confident and flippant version we first met in the Prog though (presumably they'll be a dedicated Psi Division by the second film as well).

20. JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know at least one person has commented on the 3D, but I'd like to hear from some more people who've seen the film. The budget's tight right now and my wife (aka, "The Boss") would rather I cut corners wherever I can. So would I be missing out on anything if go the 2D route instead? It's a good four bucks cheaper.