Michael Okuda: Buy TNG Blu-ray sets to get DS9 on Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Apr 10, 2013.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that's almost blackmail. ;)

3. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like TNG; I have all seven seasons on DVD. I don't think I would want it/need it on Blu-ray. However, if it gets a DS9 Blu-ray release, I might just consider it. I'm looking forward to seeing Deep Space 9 itself in "Birthright, Part I".

4. DS9forever

The special features on the Blu-ray releases are quite impressive; it would be really cool to get new interviews with the main, recurring and notable DS9 guest actors, the writers and directors.

5. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

I think DS9's, a Voyager for that matter, release in HD is inevitable. Star Trek is too lucrative of franchise for Paramount not to upgrade DS9 and Voyager into HD. TV is nearly all HD and if Paramount what to continue to make syndication money it has to upgrade the shows. Whether or not the show gets the TNG treatment of special features we shall see. I would love to see a DS9 cast reunion!!!!

I would love, love, love to see DS9 get the same treatment as TNG. The fact that Enterprise was put onto bluray says something. Yes, ENT was shot in HD, but it was also the least popular of the Trek shows in terms of ratings and Paramount is pouring money into the special features.

6. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Getting TNG on blu-ray is on the list that I want. But DS9 shall be higher.

7. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

TNG on BD even with all the problems they have had is still worth every penny. The releases certainly have not been a fly by night cash grab that the feature films have been. I'm hoping the work done on 'Birthright' in season 6 will drum up some interest for DS9 on BD.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I expect that will be the case. I think it will be similar to when we saw Trials and Tribble-ations for the first time on DVD and everyone was marveling on how amazing the Enterprise looked when it first appeared on the viewscreen. I've got a feeling DS9 (The space station that is) is going to look absolutely spectacular in HD, and it will whet the appetite to get the series on blu-ray.

9. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see no reason to buy a DVD set I already have .I like TNG but,not as much as DS9.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm pretty sure the decision/announcement will come before we see TNG season six released. If they're planning on continuing to release a season set every four months.

11. Leroy

TNG on BD really is like night and day, they took away that cheap looking 80's style and gave it the timeless and cinematic style that it was always meant to have.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for the complete box set to come out. Now if they had done something special with the packaging like steelbook or something similar it might be a different story.

13. Leroy

They have gone through and re-dited the episodes from scratch, replaced and effects that weren't possible in HD, and gave it a remastering that normally only companies like Criterion do, not to mention the special features like the cast reunion. That blows anything special they can do with the packaging like steelbooks out of the water, this isn't an upconvert or a DVD rip we're talking about.

14. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I really, really hope this happens, but I still can't help but think it's a long shot. Yeah I know, nobody expected TNG in HD to ever happen either, but it was also a huge, mainstream hit and is still showing regularly in syndication and cable.

DS9, as awesome as it is, has been pretty much forgotten by all but the most diehard fans, and it doesn't show on TV hardly anywhere. And I can't imagine CBS would want to put in all that money just for blu-ray sales alone...

16. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

What about the CGI

17. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I'll keep buying the TNG: Blu sets if the quality stays up at Season 1 levels. Season 2 dropped considerably with the shoddy work by HTV:Illuminate. Season 3 looks good, I'll buying it as soon as it comes out, but Season 2 will be a bargain bin purchase...or used from someone. I refuse to reward poor quality like that.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I got 1 and 2 w/o hesitation because I did not have those on DVD. The rest of the series I have and it will be catch as catch can in terms of pricing. I already shelled out too much money since TNG DVDs were crazily overpriced in the first place.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Why didn't Michael Okuda say "Buy TNG Blu-ray sets to get DS9 AND VOY on Blu-ray!"? :lol:

20. DS9forever

I don't think Okuda was as involved with Voyager as he was with DS9.