New Frontier?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dsven43, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

PAD has done some great Trek in the past, but the consensus seems to be that NF is past its best (I can't say - I haven't read the last few).

I'd kind of like to see someone else pick it up...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They also insected in Destiny where it is mentioned that Calhoun and the Excalibur fought off the Borg during the invasion.

PAD effectively killed off Nechayev (or someone posing as her in Blind Man's Bluff) but then she has been mentioned in recent David Mack books. So there appears to be a conflict there but perhpas the real Nechayev was found and restored?

I don't think New Frontier has had any major continuity issues. Since it mainly stays of in a sector alone conflicts don't arrise much. For BMB, PAD had to make some pre publishing changes such as removing Seven's Borg elements but I see no major conflicts.

PAD will be in Seattle in March. I intend to ask him his thoughts about continuing the series.

I don't know how the other writers feel about New Frontier but several contributed to the anthology. David Mack wrote an excellent Zak Kebron piece in there; he seems to understand the characters when he has written them.

3. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

I heard an interview on the Sci fi diner podcast a few months back. he came across as an arrogant prick, just correcting the interviewers grammar and sort of ridiculing his questions. Really turned me off of him.

New Frontier's way to cartoony for me, glad it's loss has freed up the schedule for good trek books.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

He has already blogged about the issue. He's always busy, but would write more NF if asked. He has no current contract with Pocket/Gallery, Ed S. hasn't invited him to pitch and PAD hasn't been sitting around with nothing to do, so he's waiting to hear from Ed rather than pursuing him. IIRC.

http://www.peterdavid.net/2011/04/25/blind-mans-bluff/

5. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I find myself increasingly dubious about the editorial guidence Trek has been getting.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

We are lucky to have so many good writers...

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate to say it, but I think I agree. At the very least it's a step down from Marco's amazing tenure.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, especially since the books seem (to me at least) to be going back the Richard Arnold days. Not to mention the universe seems to be shrinking and mostly focusing on the TV series.

9. Therin of Andor

Well, Marco and Margaret were let go because they were Senior Editors, IIRC, and Ed S. isn't.

How? During the tightest of Richard's tenure (and he was only there from 1986-91) there was no interconnectivity between novels at all. He probably would have fought hard to discourage families for the Picards and the Rikers, the return of Arex and M'Ress to "New Frontier", promotions/changes for Dax, Sisko, Ro and Kira, and the death and resurrection of Janeway. I don't understand what "going back" you are talking about.

10. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To each his own. But consider how "cartoony" many episodes of Star Trek were. Sometimes it is nice to have light-hearted and/or beyond belief story lines.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. After the events of the first few NF books, Calhoun brought up a few of Kirk's adventures to remind Admiral Jellico just how loony Star Trekking can be.

12. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

He even lived one of them in Gods Above.

man I love new frontier

13. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

Not necessarily - a new NF book hasn't been put out as a MMPB for a very long time. Everything from Stone and Anvil onwards has been hardback or trade, so it wouldn't impact on the MMPB schedule.

That said, I'm not optimistic at all.

14. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

See, now I was going to say that NF has gotten incredibly dark over the years.
    Wasn't Robin Lefler given Si Cwan's head in a box?
    But that's what I love about PAD's writing, is his ability to both make me laugh and cringe from horror in the same book.

15. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Good point, I totally forgot that Trade Paperbacks are outside the normal schedule. I was thinking that since Pocket was taking so long to decide, they must feel that NF isn't "worthy" of Trade Paperback status anymore and therefore the next release would be a MMPB. But that was just me getting wrapped up in my own assumptions, so I appreciate the wake-up call! :bolian:

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

By the fact that Janeway is alive again and a recent event in the new Mack trilogy giving the impression that the reset button is still in effect.

Mot to mention that I'm worried that the next multiple book series might be getting rid of the Typhon Pact since its called The Fall.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a difference between a story arc concluding (i.e. Captain Eden on Voyager, the Federation/Typhon Pact conflict) and a reset button being pressed (sweeping IFM under the rug). Even Data isn't the same guy as before. He certainly isn't going back to the Ops station.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, from pretty much everything I've heard here (I haven't read the CE books or TED yet), the Janeway event and the event in the first CE book wouldn't really be resets. What happened before still happened, it was just undone kind of. As far as I'm concerned as long as said events still happened and continue to impact the story, it's not a reset.

19. Therin of Andor

That is the nature of tie-ins.

In the Arnold era, the sandbox was expected to be fully restored by the end of each book.

I can't see the current novels resetting the Riker and Picard babies, nor Captain Dax. If the Typhon Pact "falls" in "The Fall", that won't necessarily be an Arnold-type reset either, just the next arc in an ongoing saga.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Might not be the Typhon Pact. Could be another political union or federation of some sort... ;)