OT: "The Bucket" on the bench...nuBSG

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Q2UnME, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Hi All:

I was wondering if anyone would like to see a return of Q2UnME's Workbench ? This time with a R2 model of the Battlestar Galactica?

I had to bail on modeling for a year or two due to losing my job, having to find a new one, selling my house, moving to another state, buying a new house, unpacking all our crap, remodeling the said "new house", building a new work shop and now finally finding all my model stuff.....

I'm easing back into it, rusty skills and all that. I'd have to get a new photobucket account (mine locked me out?), but I'm not that far into the build.

Any interest in "The Bucket" out there?

Q2UnME

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

yes! :D

3. Cmdr_Blop

Cmdr_Blop Lieutenant Commander

Yes. And I'd suggest ImageShack... I've never ever had any problems with them.

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds cool. I'm always up for some BSG goodness.

5. Cmdr_Blop

I want to visit the land of magic and ponies...

6. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Q2UnME

Well, there seems to be some interest, so I'll start shooting pictures as I work on the model.

Just to be clear, this a build of a physical model produced of the Galactica by Round 2. I do have some laser etched accurate parts too. I'm not making a CGI model, that is way, way beyond my skills... Can't get the glue to dry on those pesky little electron particle thingies... ;)

Also, this thread will be void of ponies ... Sorry

Updates to follow ...

Q2UnME

8. Klaus

That's easy -- use gluons!! :D

9. Cmdr_Blop

The Gluons were created by man...

10. Q2UnME

Sorry for the delay, Folks. I haven't forgotton about this. It's just that my plant is on a two week shutdown and I've been doing nothing but sleep, work 12 hrs, eat, repeat.... Promise to get some W.I.P. photo's up sometime late next week.... Sorry :(

Q2UnME

11. Q2UnME

Welcome to my WIP Thread for building the Battlestar Galactica kit from Round 2 models. Now that my companies annual two week shutdown is over and I’ve managed to get some decent sleep, I’ve finally had time to pull this together.

[​IMG]

This is my new workshop, which itself is a WIP. The counter top or the workbench surface is still in the garage. Anyway, little smaller than my old workbench, but I like all the storage drawers on the new one.

[​IMG]

This is where we pick up the story. I’ve already done some assembly of the main body, her “head” and the smaller of the rear engines. The base paint color is Model Master “Steel” darkened several shades with “Gunmetal”. Standard “Steel” seemed too light. I’m going for more of an “on-screen” look. I’m paining with very small, soft brushes {Oh, no *gasp* } . The paint has been adjusted slightly with thinner to minimize brush strokes. I’m liking how the subtle texture and the way the paint is laying gives an almost “weathered look” to the small details without really trying.

[​IMG]

You may notice that the “armor plating” sections are yet to be painted. I plan on doing some aztecing on them later with a bunch of different steel and gray tones.

[​IMG]

Little bit of a close up of the main hull to give you and idea of the kit detail. All in all, the detail of this kit is good, the tooling clean and crisp. Only complaint so far is the size of the kit. I think it’s a bit on the small side at 14 inches long. Something akin to 20 inches long would have allowed for a bit more detail and would make this model have a grander presence.

[​IMG]

Close up of her “head”. Again, I plan on doing some aztecing on the armor plating later with a bunch of different steel and gray tones.

[​IMG]

Close up of the smaller rear engines. You may note a slightly darker “grey” towards the aft. This is “Gunmetal” lightened quite a bit with steel. Retains the darker tone with a nice metallic look; again closer to the on-screen look I'm shooting for.

[​IMG]

Here’s where I am as of this morning. More painting done and today I’ve been painting on the halves of the flight pods. I’ll get some more pictures in the next day or two now that life seems to be returning to normal.

As always, questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Rich (aka Q2UnME)

12. Q2UnME

OK

I didn't realize this thread was started almost two years ago....

I've actually been working on this model again. It's approx. 90% done. Anyone intrested in new pictures?

Q2

13. Klaus

:D

14. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just got one of these, would like to see more of what you've done with it.