Solution in "Counterpoint"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by 2 of 10, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

I was considering how instead of the complicated way that Voyager hid the telepaths, including Tuvoc, Vorik and the other passengers they had rescued from the transport ship, why could they have simply put all the people that the Devore considered dangerious to their society in stasis chambers while they were in Devore space. Kashyk, although devious seemed like somewhat a resonable person, that may have saved them all that trouble, any suggestions/or comments...

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Then the Devore would have found them.....

3. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Devore didn't just want telepaths controlled - they wanted them exterminated. They considered telepathy a mortal threat against their very way of life. Understandable considering theirs was a totalitarian society; and thought, the last bastion of freedom.

Hence Kashyk's fatal flaw: arrogance-with the mandate of the State, a state whose own mandate was invalidated by the very existence of telepaths, who could circumvent social communication channels.

I suspect the war against telepaths was not in defense, as Kashyk implied, but started by the Imperium in its own arrogance.

Unfortunately, not so much science fiction these days.

4. Scatta

Scatta Commodore Commodore

There's also a line in the episode about violating the Devore's cargo protocols. It's not just illegal to have telepaths around the Devore; it's illegal to transport them, as if they were dangerous weapons. Putting them in the gun cabinet wouldn't be enough.

5. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Scatta, I like your avatar; are you a J/P fan?

6. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

Points well taken, however, Kashyk was aware of Tuvok and Vorik were still on Voyager even after the other telepaths escaped. He could still have taken Voyager under those circumstances. Just mabey he could have been trying to do right by Voyager.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

They were?

8. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    I believe Tuvok and Vorik stayed with the refugees until Voyager had cleared Devoran space.

9. Scatta

Scatta Commodore Commodore

I'll check the DVD at some point, but I don't think VGer's telepaths were on the shuttle because it went on through the wormhole. I could be wrong, though.

---

Jeri: Thanks, and no, I'm not. Although, making sure she got to keep her version of Michael Sullivan was a nice thing for Tom to do as her friend.

10. Jeri

^ ^ I'm not a J/P fan either, although I know there are some. Tom's my favorite character, and I like seeing him get some credit. I agree that he was a good friend to Kathryn -- and really to everybody.

11. anais

anais Captain Captain

They were kept in transporter suspension in the cargo bay, iirc

Edit: Oh no, that was vegetables :shifty:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  12. Jeri

^ ^ And Arabica coffee beans. According to one of the novels, Spock kept those in suspension, too. He knows how to prioritize.

13. anais

anais Captain Captain

Don't forget the Borg baby.

14. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Yet another reason to like Spock. :)

15. Jeri

^ ^ Yeah, he's my original favorite. But he's kinda hard to get, so I have dallied with others.