Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by TrekToday, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Actually, Netflix just announced that they would love to produce a 5th season of Arrested Development.

http://www.webpronews.com/netflix-just-released-a-bunch-of-new-arrested-development-videos-2013-06

http://www.webpronews.com/arrested-development-season-5-is-in-demand-if-search-data-is-any-indication-2013-06?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+webpronews%2Fall+%28WebProNews%3A+Index+Feed%29

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/netflix-arrested-development-season-5/

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yet you completely ignore that Braga would know if there was a fifth season as he would have to be compensated as co-creator.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? I'd define the JJverse as going back to what's old and putting a new face on it. I'd love to see a new Trek series... hey why not set it a 100 years in the future... that seemed to work pretty well for some show called TNG. :p

That's a good point with the MASH cast. Really the main thing going against a Trek show is the fact that everyone has a minimum of 100 channels at their disposal at anytime unlike the 90's when Trek was at it's prime. That and CBS doesn't want to roll the dice as it were anyways. I guess from a financial standpoint it makes some sense. They're making money anyways just with the title to the franchise in hand without spending anything beyond BluRay conversions that make them more money.

4. Captain Atkin

I'm not ignoring that fact. At the end of the day, the studio could decide on their own to move forward without him, if he is busy working on other projects. They own the rights to Star Trek; not Braga. If Braga is entitled to money for being a co-creator of Enterprise, then they would compensate him, but they wouldn't need his blessing to produce a new series.

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

No they don't need his blessing, they just need to give him and Berman some compensation, which is one of the several reasons CBS is not going to do this.

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

It seems to me amidst all the hopes that Enterprise might return on Netflix is something obvious being neglected: If the studio wanted to continue Enterprise, they would simply have done so. They don't need money. They don't need distribution. They don't need Netflix.

7. Captain Atkin

Studios exist to make money. Netflix has 29.2 million U.S. subscribers, which is far more than the 21.9 million TV subscribers that leading cable provider Comcast Corp has. Netflix has already reshaped home entertainment. Arrested Development has been a big success for them, and they have recently said that they would like to bring other cancelled shows back that had fan followings. Enterprise certainly has a fan following, and it also has name recognition from being a "Star Trek" series. It would bring in the fans, and in turn, help lure more subscribers to Netflix.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  8. BillJ

I think the difference comes down to cost. Does Netflix want to sink that much money into a property that was gasping as it crossed the finish line?

Couple that with the fact that Arrested Development and Enterprise are entirely different animals. An Arrested fourth season will be seen by many as something unique to watch (and cheap to produce), season twenty-nine of Trek not-so-much (and expensive to produce).

And CBS would likely rather sell to cable providers than Netflix anyway. While Netflix may have more subscribers than the largest cable operator, CBS could sell the show to more than one cable operator at a time.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Enterprise is too expensive for Netflix, its a simple as that. It's 3 original shows now are a fraction of the cost of what Enterprise would be to make. CBS is not going to return to the past, it will make a new Star Trek series at some point that may or may not reference past Trek.

10. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

enterprise may have had better ratings then many suspect. back then only the Wednesday night showing was counted. not the weekend showings or dvr. now both would have been taken into account. I saw where the weekend showing often got far better ratings then the Wednesday showing. the cast even put it out for people to watch the Wednesday night show.
    I am sure if Netflix was interested they could find this out.
    an enterprise mini series set toward the end of the romulan war start of federation might be popular enough.
    and enterprise has added on fans. some have given it a second look and have seen it got a lot better.

11. BillJ

Numbers to back that up?

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Even if that were true, what does that have to do with anything? TNG had good ratings too. Hell, Home Improvement had phenomenal ratings, and Netflix isn't bringing that back.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

House of Cards cost a reported $100 million to produce two seasons worth of episodes (two season of 13, I believe). That isn't chump change.

Of course, that's a prestige show with a motion picture director (David Fincer) and two major motion picture actors (Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright) participating in it. A new season of Enterprise wouldn't warrant the same level of investment.

14. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

it may show up in some of the interviews with people from the show.
    I used to have a lot of this on a former computer.
    but I very much remember the article about how enterprise was being hurt by the way the ratings were being counted then.

shrug
    I am sure if the Netflix people were interested they would have better means then me to track down ratings info.

15. Serit

Serit Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

...sure... I'll bite... as long as Trip's alive and Malcolm has a promotion... to kick@$$ Commander at least! ...and we keep Porthos! (...ooh, I can just hear the CBS guys, "Find me a younger Keating!") In that case, do I get to keep Dominic? :drool:

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

'fraction' may not have been the best term, but its still going to be higher to produce than those existing shows.

100 mill divided by 26 episodes is 3.8 mill. Enterprise (adding a 7 year inflation rate or so) would be about 5 mill on average per episode. Thats about 130 million or so.

That said, the episode number could be reduced, also there could be partnering and distribution agreements that could help offset the cost. Netflix would not want to shoulder that cost alone.

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Chris, both these threads are pretty creaky, with no new posts for months until yours today. And the link you posted in the other thread seems to be saying that there's nothing new going on.

I suggest you start a new thread, include links to these two old ones, and bring everyone up to speed about the Netflix Facebook Campaign, to generate some fresh discussion. Okay?

19. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh well. Well...no, not really. I guess this more of a cry for help!

It's always "gone midnight" late and I never seem to find the time. If I ever start a thread, I prefer to spend a while on it on. Rather than just a couple sentences and get out.

How about meeting me halfway and retitling the other thread? Maybe I can comeback and add an update to that?

20. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.