Favorite Unpopular Episode

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Kinokima, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So just wondering what is that one episode that gets critically panned but you actually think is really great.

For me it is the Empath. Okay I guess this isn't as panned as some episodes, it is probably more a love/hate episode but I do see it on quite a few least favorite lists.

But personally I love it. Now I am not saying it is without its faults. But I love it for 2 reasons

1) Obviously it was filmed on a low budget but in this case I think the limited set with the all black setting really adds to the atmosphere of the episode. In fact I think it is one of the coolest looking episodes and it shows what you can creatively do with less. I also personally really liked the unique score for the episode.

2) For me it is probably the ultimate trio episode. So even if the alien experiment thing has been done before I don't think the episode wasn't really about that. It was about compassion for another. It was about Gem feeling compassion for the main 3. It was about the Vians realizing they had lost their own compassion and most importantly it was about the compassion and strong friendship Kirk, Spock, and McCoy felt for each other. I thought it was beautifully done.

2. alexianyc

alexianyc Ensign Red Shirt

I don't know if I think it's really great, but the Savage Curtain will always be one of my favorite episodes. It's the first TOD episode I remember seeing as a kid, and I still enjoy it.

3. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Way to Eden. I like the look at civilian life of Federation citizens, the whole "disenfranchised youth" movement and the background on Chekov's life. Plus I :luvlove: Irina Galliulin

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Requiem for Methuselah" is the unpopular (?) or at least often-criticized episode that I like the most.

"Spock's Brain" is the least-popular episode that I like unreservedly.

I'm also a big fan of "The Lights of Zetar" and "All Our Yesterdays."

I'm willing to suffer through "Plato's Stepchildren" for that one wonderful moment at the very end.

I can take "The Way to Eden" because I secretly like the songs.

I go back and forth on "The Alternative Factor," but I never think it's very good.

"And the Children Shall Lead" and "The Savage Curtain" are the only two that I really don't like, and even they have their moments.

5. smalltalk66

smalltalk66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Let This Be Your Last Battlefield.

Being black, I never understood why most people's interpretation of this one generally tends to limit it to race. It's about more than that. In my view, the episode works better as a metaphor of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict of the past decade if anything.

The last lines stuck with me the most:

Spock: All that matters to them... is their hate.
    Uhura: Do you suppose that's all they ever had, sir?
    Captain Kirk: No. But that's all they have left.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

"Plato's Stepchildren." It just works for me while so many people dump on it. I think it works as a decent allegory for how the powerful and influential can become so decadent and manipulate and exploit the more common and less fortunate.

7. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"That Which Survives". I found the end poignant, and the rest pretty entertaining.

8. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"That Which Survives" is actually pretty good and has the very nice Lee Meriwether (who was Miss America in 1955!). However, she must not look upon her Star Trek appearance too fondly... I couldn't find any mention of it at http://www.leemeriwether.com/film.html.

9. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

I also really like "That Which Survives", "The Lights of Zetar" and "The Way to Eden". But I guess the least-liked episode that I can still enjoy is "Spock´s Brain". I especially like the beginning on the Enterprise, where they try to figure out on which of the three planets they should go and look. With everyone voicing their opinion it´s a very nice scene, IMO - and they´re having a "real" viewscreen for the first time :)

If I look through the posts of this thread, most of the least-liked episodes in TOS seem to be from (the least-liked) season three. But since there are obviously quite a few fans liking them, it can´t really be that bad :)

Mario

10. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Spock's Brain, the very best of the "bad" TOS episodes.

11. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

I've always really enjoyed "The Omega Glory". I realize the flaws and holes from a conceptual standpoint, but IMO, Morgan Woodward did a terrific job as Captain Tracey and he played wayward peer to Shatner's idealistic Kirk nicely. Of course, there are other aspects to this episode that I like (Ed McCready)...but mostly I view it as I would a comic book; good fun and over-the-top.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes, "Omega Glory" and "That Which Survives" are two other episodes panned that I do like.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've seen "I, Mudd" take a lot of heat around here. But, unlike the first episode with Mudd, I think it's hilarious and fun.

14. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Omega Glory" for me. Interesting sci fi concept there.

"Spock's Brain" is fun to watch.

15. Mario de Monti

Really? I´ve never noticed, "I, Mudd" was an unpopular episode. I always enjoyed watching it, too.

16. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Indeed. I would say the first Mudd episode is the poorer of the two.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I've always thought "The Way to Eden" was a fun episode, and the concept behind the space hippies makes a lot of sense for the setting.

18. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I like "I, Mudd" too.

19. Mario de Monti

Absolutely, Mudd´s Women isn´t a very good episode. And everytime I see the primitive conditions under which the miners are supposed to be living (in the 23rd century!) I can´t help but thinking: WTF??? :wtf:

20. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Way to Eden" was ST at its campy best.