Who would you want to play the captain in Trek series 6

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Oct 31, 2009.

1. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Timothy Dalton

Michael Biehn

Delroy Lindo

Or someone from a defunct sci-fi show that I liked!

2. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well lets see..

it begs the question.. what type of series the new trek would be? exploring (Tos, Tng, Ent) Station, arc driven (ds9) overall problem arc (voyager) or something new?

does it have a begining middle end? (B5)

the type of show determines who would be cast.. becasue each show has a different type of captain, and as which, would have a type of person to play them, regardless of male/female race etc.

on that love to see
    Nicole Deboer (Ezri) and the aventine just because the chief engineer has my last name!
    Ken wantanabe (though i belive he has health problems.. not sure) for an asian captain.
    Samuel L. Jackson? ( wouldn't that be a hoot!)

a good series in my mind and cover some missing years..

Alan Ruck and Jacquelin Kim as Harriman, and Demora Sulu( enterprise B series she'd be first officer, then take over after the tomed incedent, as in the novels, and would be a good story device of the captian retiring! and there the right age still..)

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't know why they went for Scott Bakula over Michael Biehn for ENT. Biehn wouldn't have cost any more (probably less, in fact) and he would have brought at least as much clout and cred with his CV as Scott did - Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss etc. Plus he's a better actor and would have been a much more commanding presence than Bakula's Archer ever made for.

4. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I didn't read all the pages in this thread, but when I saw the title, two of your choices, Benjamin Bratt and Jimmy Smits, came to my mind. I doubt either would be that interested, but maybe Phil Morris might. Liked him as Martian Manhunter in Smallville. -- RR

5. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

David James Elliott as captain with a Vulcanized Catherine Bell as science officer...

[​IMG]

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rehash of Enterprise.

7. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^In all seriousness...a Trek series exploring the legal system could actually turn out pretty good!

8. Captaindemotion

^ Agreed. Some of the most memorable Trek scenes have involved courtrooms. From Measure of a Man to The Undiscovered Country, to TOS' Court Martial and others.

And maybe Shatner can play an attorney called Denny Crane ...

9. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

I doubt I'd be interested in seeing any series based on the aftermath of the most recent movie. But, If we're simply discussing the idea of an original Trek series not based on anything in particular....

hmmm.... how about Anthony Michael Hall. He did a great job with Dead Zone. Has a fairly commanding presence on screen. About the right age, I'd think.

I liked the idea of Dennis Haysbert. Loved him in the Unit. Though I could see him more as a Kirk type than a Picard.

If we're looking for somebody a bit more cerebral? Kelsey Grammer. He's well known. He's done Trek before. And, given his recent run of flops in the comedy arena he could use a dramatic role to perhaps allow people to see him as something other than Frasier.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although he'd be an unusual choice, Adrian Pasdar is an excellent actor and he needs a good show to make up for the crap Heroes put him through.

11. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

Maybe. Although, I see him more as the antagonistic type of captain, much in the same vein as James B. Sikking was.

12. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

Only if "pretty good" is defined as Chris Pine digging ditches on a penal colony instead of commanding a starship...

13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I'm not sure who I'd want as the new Captain, but I would really love to see Ron Pearlman (Beauty & the Beast/Hellboy) as the Chief Engineer.

Maybe Joe Flanigan from SG-A would be an interesting choice as the Captain.

14. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

Pearlman's Viceroy was, quite frankly, far more compelling than Nero. He's a great character actor and could do anything from engineer to admiral to chief of security.

I liked Flannigan in SG-A. I see him more as a first officre than a captain, though.

15. Captaindemotion

Hardly groundbreaking, though is it? No offence, but I've never understood why people would want to see as a Starfleet captain an actor who's already played a similar role in another rival tv sci-fi series.

Having said that, a lot of people in the Treklit forum always name him when they're 'casting' the character of Mackensie Calhoun from Peter David's New Frontier series., so you're not alone

16. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Poor Adrian.

I vote for CCH Pounder, Angela Bassett, Regina King, Lynn Whitfield, Wynterhawk :p

17. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

David Tennant who played the Tenth Doctor.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see Flanigan back on TV, but I really don't see him as the Starfleet captain type. He's the kind of actor who should stick to the type that suits him. He could be a Han Solo-ish space rogue, for instance, or even a Boomer who joins Starfleet and clashes a bit with the restrictions (Mayweather the way they should have written him).

Pearlman would make a good colorful character - Cardassian or Orion badass. I wouldn't waste him on Starfleet.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

And he'd insist his character was 35.

I don't think it would work. That idea would be a niche premise for an already niche franchise.

20. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

I always thought that Paramount missed the boat with Insurrection.

Whether or not you liked the movie (I, personally, thought it was about 10x better than "Star Trek," but, I digress) it did present what could have been an interesting springboard for a new series had they looked forward instead of backward with Enterprise.

Insurrection nicely set up a series that could have revolved around an internal rift within the Federation. Rather than looking for a new enemy for them to face, they could have had a civil war or sorts.

The show could have focused on stories involving a couple of new crews, integrating the crews from the various TNG era shows. Rotating the story lines to focus on different crews and battles. Would perhaps make it more interesting and might make it easier to sign certain actors if they only needed to film a half dozen or so episodes a season, rather than 20+.

It could have been done with a DS9 sort of edge. Perhaps even darker, ala BSG or SG-U.

The series could have ended with a mini-series (maybe 4 part for a total of 8 hours), gathering the respective crews for their final battle.

Basically taking the feel of the final season of DS9 and expanding it for a couple of season run.