Future of the "Terminator" Franchise (Discussion, Rumors, Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

With another "Terminator" film coming (Paramount is distributing and released an official press release today confirming what Arnold has been saying since the rights where bought in 2011) I thought it time to start an official thread for such discussion.

Especially since I'm totally confused as to what's going on with things...

What we have known for a while: rights where bought in 2011. Arnold promptly said he had signed on to return. For a while, the director of one of the recent "Fast and the Furious" movies was attached, but he's since dropped out.

Then last week, we heard two rumors: first was that Dwayne Johnson ("The Rock") was being considered for a role, the other was of a story-line of Arnold playing the guy the T-800 is based off who, in the 1940s or 50s, successfully defends Sarah Connor's parents against a Terminator.

Now we've got the word "reboot" and "stand-alone trilogy" and no mention of Arnold as starring, only as to his historical context as the franchise lead. It also seems they've titled it simply "Terminator" - whether that's a true title or a working on, no idea. The original film was called "The Terminator" so they could use just "Terminator" technically...

Needless to say... no clue what's going on.

Is it a reboot? Is it a sequel? Is it a prequel? Is Arnold back? In what role? So many questions...

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Future of the "Terminator" Franchise (Discussion, Rumors, Spoilers

Arnie and this franchise need each other, neither is going to do well without the other, although he probably needs them more than vice versa.

Shame really, I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Stand.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

No Arnold, no interest.

4. Pingfah

My level of interest will be predicated upon whether the film looks like it might be entertaining or not. Terminator is an interesting concept with or without him, it doesn't need one particular actor to ensure a decent movie.

But hey, i'm just crazy like that.

5. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't imagine a film w/out Arnold, but honestly T3 was so bad and T4 while not much better, wasn't so god awful IMHO, you know?

I can't watch T3 without spotting every single time they could have made a better choice with dialogue or story.

I've been wondering if/when they would just up and reboot things, but rebooting while keeping Arnold around confuses me.

Unless they do something I doubt they're going to do, and use CGI to de-age him. Such would be expensive though.

In an ideal world, the CGI to de-age would be accessible and let Arnold play the Terminator. I'd also, ideally, like to see Christian Bale back as John Connor, but I doubt that'll happen. The big chunk of change for talent is going in Arnold's pocket, and anyone else on the cast is going to be getting maybe 10% of what he makes. Likewise, Bale is an A-lister himself in his prime now, and wouldn't want to take a back seat to Arnold.

I dunno. I just want it to be good.

Oh, casting idea: Katee Sackhoff. As anything. Cause she rocks and could play it. LOL. A Terminator, a new Sarah Connor, Sarah Connor's mom, whatever.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this the real life? Is it just faaaaan-tasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reeeee-ality...

No offense, but we've had generic "future of the Terminator franchise" for years now, with only the barest outlines of hard news to go on. Wake me when a full cast is signed and a production date set, if y'all will.

MAMA.... ooh-ooh-we-ooh....

:p

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The ONLY way a Terminator 5 with Arnold will work is if Arnold plays a human resistance fighter in the future who once got captured in his prime, managed to escape, and now fights together with John Connor against the machines.

8. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

My interest in this is super low unless they bring Josh Friedman, creator of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, to write it. He gets Terminator, IMO.

Also, please no Arnold. Anything but a cameo places way too many limits on this thing. If Bale gets near this I'm also out. I hated him as John.

Really, all I want is a continuation of the Sarah Connor Chronicles. :(

9. Pingfah

Unmitigated nonsense.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the fact they want to make a trilogy, yet only have until 2019 to do so.

So unless they make the first one to see if it makes money, then make the next two movies at the same time for a 2017 and 2018 release we will probably never get a full story they want to tell.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Interesting. If they moved the setting up a bit to include where Sarah is born and Ahnuld is instead a human time traveler and future Terminator template who keeps protecting her and her parents over decades, I wouldn't mind seeing sort of a Dean Koontz' Lightning situation in the story, minus all the Nazis (which would be replaced by Terminators) and with backwards time travel instead of forwards. There's no reason why the story has to be limited to one Terminator.

12. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Lightning had paradox free time travel, didn't it? Always a plus. :)

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This franchise is getting almost as muddy and confused as Highlander got, with movies that took different paths and seem to contradict each other, along with a series that seems to occasionally contradict what happened in some of the movies. I dunno...maybe a full reboot to erase the past entirely...I just don't know.

But it must definitely have Ah-nuld. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

No Future War, no interest.

This series, as it was with Salvation, has moved beyond needing Arnold, imo. The concept, the story was my attachment. If a T5 doesn't continue into the Future War, get us to a point to complete the loop by sending Kyle back then my give a care is registering zero.

Kyle not trusting 'smart phones', yeah now there is some drama I can't wait to see!! :lol:

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, though obviously the suggestion I made above about incorporating the general idea into the Terminator universe would have to feature paradoxes, since the whole universe is built on them.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Better to have Arnold that not have him, I guess. But the whole Terminator concept is so played out by now, that I don't know what they could do to make it seem fresh and interesting again.

We know every part of the story inside and out by now.

17. Pingfah

Well a reboot often involves abandoning all established canon and starting again with the basic concept, which is fine by me.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Except we don't. The movies (continuity errors and all) still left a lot of plot threads hanging.

Not that we need them to be explained, either, though. A fresh reboot would bring a new perspective.

A new Terminator released in 2014 would be the 30th anniversary of the franchise, though.

19. Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann Lieutenant

Hollywood still out of ideas? Why not endlessly reboot, remake, and redo the same old ideas instead of thinking of new ones? Terrible. Does anyone remember when you could go to the theatre and most movies there would be original?

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You know, I wouldn't mind a nuTrek-style reboot. Find a way to set it up in an alternate reality, which should be easy with this franchise, without ignoring what came before.