If you had to kill off a character?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by issreliant, Mar 16, 2010.

1. issreliant

issreliant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So if you had to kill off one character from each trek show, who would get the ax? They must be a main character and the following people are immune....... Mayweather from ENT, Chakotay from VOY , Wesley from TNG, And Jake Sisko from DS9 . they are too easy of an answer. and Kim from VOY, he is so terrible that i block him from my mind.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Sulu
    Troi
    Kira
    Kim
    Reed

3. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But not Kim from VOY? ;) How about Chekov?

4. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Why not allow us to kill off certain characters? Anyway, I'll give you Mayweather and Wesley, but Chakotay and Jake? Jake's my favourite character on DS9, and I'd choose Neelix, Janeway, Seven, and Paris to go over Chakotay any day.

Ok, obeying your rules:

TOS- err.. Kirk *runs for cover*. I just don't have the heart to kill off anyone else.
    TNG- Worf :klingon:
    DS9- Worf :klingon:
    VOY- Neelix -If you were going to immunify anyone from VOY, you should have done him
    ENT- Trip - Oh, wait, they did already...

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS: Spock
    TNG: Riker
    DS9: Kira
    VOY: Paris
    ENT: T'Pol

I think each of these characters' loss would have been greatly felt, therefore providing the greatest dramatic impact.

6. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

Who counts as a main character? Are Uhura, Sulu, Chekov and Scotty main characters in TOS? Are Garak, Dukat, Nog and Kasidy Yates main characters in DS9? And Mayweather in Enterprise was to me just a credited background character. He had absolutely no plot importance. In my answer, only Spock, Scotty, Kirk and McCoy count as a main character in TOS and characters like Garak and Dukat are main characters in DS9.

Kirk - He's the least interesting main character in TOS.
    Tasha Yar - I hate her more than Wesley.
    Rom
    Harry Kim - I would say Neelix but he stopped being annoying in S4 and actually became likeable. Harry Kim, on the other hand, had no real personality.
    Archer - A really tough choice. I would say T'Pol, but since Enterprise had only two female main characters...

7. DevilEyes

Well then how about...

TOS: Kirk
    TNG: Picard
    DS9: Sisko
    VOY: Janeway
    ENT: Archer

:p

oh wait, they did kill Janeway in the novels!

8. sbk1234

They still have to have the protagonist from who's point of view the story is told.

I just looked at my answers and saw that they are almost all first officers. Curious.

9. issreliant

issreliant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I added Kim from VOY, My mind must have blocked him out, and main characters refer to the main crew of the ship/station, so daniels from ENT would be immune, as would general martok from DS9.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it was easy to tell that in this case seeing as we actually SAW that happen :)

11. DevilEyes

Well, come to think of it, Kirk was killed off, although in a TNG movie rather than in TOS/TOS movies; Spock was killed but brought back to life (does it count, then?); Data was killed off in Nemesis; Jadzia was killed off in DS9; Trip was killed in a very stupid way in the ENT 'finale'; and VOY was the only series that didn't kill any of its main cast*, though it did write off Kes from the show.

*however, if you count Trek literature...

However, I don't think any show killed off a main character before the finale, unless the actor had decided to leave the show (Farrell), and didn't they kill Data only because Spiner didn't want to play him anymore?

12. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

Rather than pick one from each series, could I just kill off Worf five times?

13. sbk1234

Personally, I answered the questions as if it was at the height of each show's run. I didn't really look at the movies at all for this.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Enterprise - Captain Archer. This was a tough call. I also really, really hate T'Pol. However, more than anything else, Jonathan Archer was the weak link of the series. He just doesn't have the cojones to be a credible starship captain.

The Original Series - Hikaru Sulu. Nothing against him. He just seemed to be the least well developed of any othem. Uhura is a close 2nd (unless we're talking about the J.J. Abrams movie).

The Next Generation - Captain Picard. This was a tough call, particularly since you disqualified Wesley Crusher. Tasha Yar would be too obvious since she was killed off early on. Counselor Troi was kinda annoying in the 1st couple seasons but she got better as time went on. Ultimately, I picked Captain Picard because I'd love to see a series focusing on Captain Riker.

Deep Space 9 - Captain Sisko. Other than the obvious (and disqualified) Jake Sisko, Captain Sisko was the character I least related to on the show. To me, he felt more like a distant authority figure like Admiral Ross, not a compelling lead character. For me, the central protagonists of DS9 were always Odo & Kira Nerys.

Voyager - Harry Kim. I don't think disqualifying Chakotay was necessary here. I think you'd find a pretty wide range of selections from Voyager regardless. Voyager had a broad range of annoying and/or dull characters. There's no unanimous target for the fans' ire, like with Travis Mayweather or Wesley Crusher. If anything, I would have disqualified Neelix, who kinda feels like the Jar Jar Binks of the Star Trek universe. True, if I'd had an unfettered choice, I probably would have gone with Chakotay. While I know he has his fans, I'd say that he almost never did anything on the series that couldn't have just as easily been done by another character like Captain Janeway, Tom Paris, or Tuvok. I'm also tempted to kill off Captain Janeway, but Captain Chakotay would be even worse. (Now, if I could kill them both and do a Captain Tuvok series, now we'd be talking!)

Harry Kim wasn't quite as useless as Chakotay. He did have his occasional doomed romance storylines and he was a nice sidekick for Tom Paris. However, he still wasn't a particularly vital character for the series. And, IIRC, he nearly was killed off in Season 4 to make room for Seven of Nine. But then, when People magazine listed Garret Wang on their list of the 50 Most Beautiful People, UPN was loath to give up that free publicity, so they ditched Kes instead. I think that was a pretty serious mistake. Kes was the heart of the series and had really started coming into her own at the end of Season 3. I think she probably had more interesting places to go than any of the other characters that they kept.

15. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    TOS-The kid from 'Miri' who looks like the 'missing link'...

TNG-Picard....(So boring and dry)...

DS9-Hmmm....

VOY-7 of 9

ENT-Trip or Archer

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  16. TheQman

TheQman Captain Captain

Sulu
    Crusher (Bev)
    Sisko (Ben) (Hard choice)
    Paris
    Reed

17. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mayweather, Chakotay, Wesley, and Jake. Did I miss anyone? :D Just kidding, I wouldn't kill Jake. Or Mayweather or Chakotay. I don't want to talk about Wesley.

Neelix
    Kes - oh, wait...she's already dead...ish...
    Beverly Crusher
    Chekov
    Neelix
    T'Pol...no...Reed...no, T'Pol...Reed...I can't decide. Can I kill them both?
    I can't think of anyone I'd kill on DS9...killing Weyoun is pointless...Jadzia's dead...Ezri? Maybe. Nog's another choice. Everyone else is awesome. :)

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, there were actually two Kims, one died and one crossed over from a alternate universe. Can I kill off the living nuKim (the cross over) and leave alone the original Kim? Who would already be dead.

19. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dukat. Preferably, at the hands of Damar (Kira's fine, too), with Dukat having regained his position as the Dominion's legate escaping Fed custody. But, if need be, by Sisko, at the end of Waltz.

20. Withers

Withers Captain

I'd kill off...

A mass ton of Red Shirts, Yarr, Jadzia, Kes, Trip and just for the fun of it I'd go into the Mirror Universe and kill a bunch of people there too.

-Withers-​