Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Oct 31, 2012.

?

The Choices (Select up to 4 only)

Poll closed Dec 30, 2012.
  1. J.J. Abrams

26.6%
  2. Jon Favreau

17.0%
  3. Duncan Jones

22.3%
  4. Rian Johnson

3.2%
  5. Sam Mendes

6.4%
  6. Edgar Wright

5.3%
  7. Neill Blomkamp

13.8%
  8. Matt Reeves

2.1%
  9. Brad Bird

31.9%
  10. Frank Darabont

7.4%
  11. David Yates

5.3%
  12. Matthew Vaughn

10.6%
  13. Alfonso CuarĂ³n Orozco

7.4%
  14. Guillermo Del Toro

19.1%
  15. Ridley Scott

13.8%
  16. Other (say whom)

33.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Nah, he'd probably just make it good again, like he did with Trek.

While I'd like an Abrams SW, I like him where he is now.

Id say either Matt Reeves or Brad Bird would be two guys I could see doing it, in my head, and in reality.

If we were just going wish list though, I'd LOVE to see a David Fincher SW film.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mal Reynolds was basically just Han Solo resurrected. So Whedon does get the style and the tone of Star Wars. The worst idea would be someone overly somber and self-important. Star Wars is a fairy tale with humor, charm and very human characters. Whedon could handle that okay.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

John Hillcoat. :evil:

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

My picks that have already been said: Abrams, Whedon

My previously unmentioned picks:

Roxann Dawson - Voyager, Enterprise, Heroes, The Cape, The Mentalist. She's directed some good TV and deserves a chance at the big screen. And, choosing her might avoid the comparisons with other already well-known works of known movie directors.

KEVIN SMITH - Do I really need to explain this one?

5. gunslinger66

gunslinger66 Ensign Red Shirt

Another vote for Whedon!

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Kevin should stick to his trademark New Jersey low-budget fanboy comedy thing. It's what he does best. Space epics should remain in big boys' hands.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Whedon. But not if it means leaving the Marvel movies.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Fincher would be too dark. He'd probably end the movie with the black leather S&M-looking mass murderer bad guy winning and someone's family member getting a body part chopped off... oh, wait.

Shyamalan would be too gimmicky. He'd probably do some stupid twist like have the girl the main character was in love with turn out to be his sister or make the setting look like the distant future of humanity when in fact it actually takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away... oh, wait.

Spielberg would be too saccharin. He'd probably try to wrap things up with a completely premature happy ending at the end of the film with fireworks and celebrations even though the bad guys hadn't actually been eliminated yet and were still incredibly powerful... oh, wait.

Scott would be too convoluted. The audience would just want a tale about people fighting aliens and he'd probably try and tell some needlessly complex story centering on taxation of trade routes, blockades, and ridiculous political intrigue... oh, wait.

Bay would be too dependent on CGI. There'd probably be hundreds of completely indistinguishable robots running around fighting and spaceships swooping around asteroids like they're airplanes... oh, wait.

I withdraw my objections. ;)

9. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

:lol: Kevin Smith. Give me a break. That might be the most awful suggestion I've ever heard for anything, ever.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

If we get Kevin Smith do we get Cock Knocker?

11. USS Triumphant

Kevin Smith can write/direct serious material very well, and has a deep love of this particular subject matter. I think he'd do great, and I think if you think this suggestion is that awful, you haven't been exposed to the full range of Smith's movies - probably just Clerks, Mallrats, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and Clerks II?
    Well, at least if we did, George Lucas wouldn't sue somebody. :lol:

12. Locutus of Bored

[​IMG]

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm a fan of Smith's movies, and even I think it's an awful idea. He's done one serious movie to date and it was the very first time he showed any genuine directing skill. But that's still far from being enough to be handed the keys to a big budget project like a Star Wars movie.

Besides, Smith ultimately passed on The Green Hornet because even he knew he wasn't up to the task of working on a movie with a large budget. No, he's much better off staying on personal, low-budget projects.

14. USS Triumphant

Fine, fine. What about Roxann Dawson?

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I have no opinion on her, as I'm unfamiliar with most of her television directing work. The fact that she's only directed television, however, is an automatic disqualification based on scale alone.

16. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

Kenny Ortega

Yeah, you know it.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Fincher worked on Return of the Jedi (he was either 2nd Unit or 2nd Assistant Director), and he supposedly lobbied Lucas to direct Revenge of the Sith. He's a big Star Wars fan, and if he were offered a full film I think he'd go for it and do something very amazing with it.

18. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Fincher was Assistant Cameraman on Jedi, and I'd love to see links regarding the rest of that post, because I'm pretty sure it's mostly internet rumour, and therefore patently false.

19. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I have always thought it would be cool to see a Stephen Spielberg-directed Star Wars movie.

20. Locutus of Bored

That's an excellent rebuttal to my completely obvious joke which you deleted from your post. Next up, we'll engage in a series of moderated debates about why the chicken crossed the road.