DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's like the Spoof of Batman they once did in Marshall Law where 'Public Eye' has to go to get another orphan every six months because they keep dying.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um?

Why do you think they turned Stately Wayne Manor into an Orphanage?

Kindling for the furnace.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wow. Bats broke an underage girl's nose. Still, better than getting underaged boys killed, I guess!

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

getting rid of 16 books seems a bit much. that being said, i'd say that most of the books i enjoy will get axed. Phantom Stranger, All Star Western, Justice League Dark, and Demon Knights are all lower selling titles.

6. Admiral_Young

That does seem excessive, but excessive seems to be what the New 52 are all about, the rotating creative teams and weekly books are the most interesting part to me. I don't know if that will work, even on the Superman, Batman, and GL books. That could very well turn me off all together if they do decide to go on that route. I'm not a huge fan of rotating creative team books in the first place.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rotating creative team have worked in the past. The Superman books in the 90's (4 titles but essentially handled as a weekly book) are a prime example. And Spider-Man during the "Brain Trust" era a few years back. But I think, in order for it to really work they have to be "main" titles. Superman and Spider-Man works because the teams rotated in the primary places to find stories featuring those characters. If if's going to be in a side title you're going to end up with third tier creators writing "inventory" tales that no-one cares about because they don't "count."

Plus one title shipped 4 times a month shouldn't count as 4 slots in the 52 roster. That's shifty math.

8. Admiral_Young

Yeah I know it works, I'm just not fond of them. This does remind me of what Marvel did with "Brand New Day" with Amazing as you mention Mike. We'll see.

@Allyn was right about "Batman and Robin #18". Was a beautiful issue. Patrick Gleeson's art was really good for once. I'll be sticking was this throughout the grieving arc.

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Not a fan of this plan. Cutting down different types of books to slam us with more Superman, Batman, etc. sounds dull and boring. However it also sounds like I will be saving even more money as I probably wont follow all the weekly books.

10. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know that feeling.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they cancelled Big bang theory, Community, 2 broke Girls and Cougar town, then took all the actors and actresses, told them that they would still being playing the same characters but now that they would all live together in the same apartment complex and that all their adventures would over lap and conflate... I would be over the moon.

I was thinking earlier today about how my two favourite 40 minute dramas at the moment are Banshee and Bunheads, so I was wondering what would happen in Bunheads and Banshee both happened in the same small town?

It's exactly how Marvel turned four shitty Spider-Man titles into the successful massive weekly Amazing Spider-Man...

Of course, I can see them keep the characters they want form the failing books, but some writers who suck are going to get the flick.

12. Admiral_Young

Batman #18 was excellent. I'm really liking Harper...I'm almost certain now that she will become the next Robin. It won't happen right away, but she'll slowly earn her spot at Bruce's side. The Andy Kubert art was great, although Capullo is missed in this issue. There is a great panel that must've been directly inspired by "The Dark Knight" the shot of Bruce sitting in his chair in the penthouse with his cowl in his lap...this panel reminded me of that. Snyder is just doing tremendous stuff right now. As far knocking Harper...he did apologize to her afterwards...but that's kind of the stuff that happens when Bruce gets out of control and overly emotional. It's not a good thing.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So less variety just to give us more of the Bats, Supes, GL and JLA family....sad.
    I wonder where Animal Man, Swamp Thing and JLDark fall in that alleged 16?
    Cause the article at the end says the 16 may encompass even "medium range" selling titles.

14. Derishton

I'm guessing titles like Batwing or even Batgirl get cancelled, and their stories shifted to some new Bat-family book that will read like an anthology. Red Lanterns might be in the same boat, or even Green Arrow, Birds of Prey. A consolidation of various franchise elements.

Of course, they also just announced a Larfleeze solo book, so who knows? (I can't imagine a less likely solo character than Larfleeze, but whatever.)

15. Admiral_Young

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Rotating creative teams on weeklies are just dumb. 52 was a one time thing. If they don't have a consistent creative team, the books will just fail like ACW. And the ASM weekly Spider-Man and 52 were both done by Stephen Wacker. And he isn't around. DC's weekly attempts without him have all turned out to be dazzling failures.

I doubt Batgirl will ever get cancelled by editorial barring terrible sales now that Simone has got a bunch of morons on tumblr to show DC that she has "fans". Don't count on Red Lanterns either since the GL family of titles is still under Geoff Johns guidance and protection. So it's going to be stuff from the Dark, Edge and Superman lines then.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I quit reading it because it sucked, but whatever happened to the team from Legion Lost. They obviously haven't turned up back in the main book.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Man, Batman and Robin #18 was some incredibly heart-wrenching stuff. :( It was a masterfully written and drawn issue, though. Seriously one of the best single issues that has come out of the New 52 so far.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I need to get B&R-18, LCS was out of it, will try my secondary tomorrow.

And, yeah, I really doubt they'll cancel Batgirl. (I more see them canceling Batwoman.)

20. Derishton

Why would they start two new Superman titles only to cancel one of the existing ones?