why didnt the voyager crew have tng uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by hayesc0, Oct 26, 2012.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry teacock, did you mean the uniforms were ugly, or the crew was ugly?

:)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one is ugly on television. The uniforms though..

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well, in a way, the Voyager/early-DS9 uniforms were from TNG, since the red ones showed up in TNG's season 5 when the Enterprise returned to Earth and Wesley Crusher and Alpha Squad (and the rest of the Academy cadets) were shown with the red shoulders and black shirt/pants (and in some cases the pants were the cargo type).

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

About fitting problems, IIRC only Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner had new early DS9/VOY-style uniforms made. Jonathan Frakes wore Avery Brooks'.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frakes: "Um? I don't get it? Why is so much room in the crotch? There's an echo-chamber down there. It's like the gusset has been used as a swimming cap for a hippopotamus."

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those were completely different uniforms.

7. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

The academy uniforms had differend neck parts for example.

8. F. King Daniel

What about the costume the fake Bolian Starfleet cadet wore in Next Gen's "Allegiance"? I rewatched that awhile ago and thought, "Huh, a Voyager uniform"

9. KNH

KNH Commander Red Shirt

Must be where Sisko stores the remnants of his 'fro.

10. Guy Gardener

OH! I get it now!

The Afro is on his head, and his bfro keeps his balls warm!

(is that old? It feels like someone should have thought that up before just now.)

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I liked the NEM uniforms on DS9. Suddenly made them them all seem so serious and gray. But glad they didn't make their way onto VOY (bar Barclay, Troi, etc). I'd have got depressed and switched off ;)

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a cadet uniform. Wesley wore a similar one in the first duty. Think Allegiance is the first time we saw it though.

13. F. King Daniel

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Perhaps we're seeing evidence that there exists no such thing as a cadet uniform, and that cadets just tend to wear the "Class B" of the day more often than the "Class A"?

(Or, to tone that down a bit, there might exist a cadet uniform, with grey as the predominant color, and Wesley would wear it during his Acting Ensign year; Nog would wear it when first entering the Academy; and the fake Finnegan would be wearing it, too. But it's something the cadets only wear for their first few months into the training, or perhaps in situations calling for a dress uniform - which is why it wasn't worn by Wesley or Locarno in the big trial where Picard and the rest didn't wear dress uniforms, either.)

That would explain Cadet Picard in the jumpsuit in the ST:NEM photograph, allow for many of our STXI heroes to be commissioned officers rather than cadets in the 2258 scenes, and in general excuse quite a few costuming ambiguities.

Timo Saloniemi

15. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeh thats what I read at one point, Burton wore Colm Meaney's. Lends credence to the overwhelming belief many have that the TNG movies were very Stewart/Spiner centric in all ways.

Possibly although the story as I remember it was he shaved during the retreat itself which was in no way a planned withdraw and instead during battle (he may have also been injured, I must try and find an online account for the tale).

Edit: It was Robert Henry Cain

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  16. Guy Gardener

The English in the 19th century were insane. They knew for a certainty what civilization was and they refused to adapt as they went to the worst environments in the world, still dressed for an English winter.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that uniform is not, despite appearances, the same as the DS9/Voyager uniform. The Allegiance uniform leaves no room for an undershirt, for example. And the 'First Duty' cadet uniform is different from all of these.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the age of replicators you would think it wouldn't be difficult for everyone to have exact uniforms as currently required for their station and rank.

Maybe Starfleet is just kind of chilled out about it.. mankind has evolved past the need for petty and rigid dress requirements. Someone up top decided one day, hey lets give people choices, mix it up a bit, keep 'em happy.

19. F. King Daniel

"No room for an undershirt" as in... she didn't lower her zip a few inches like the Voyager crew do?