UFP prison series? Yes? No? Maybe? Not sure?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Aquehonga, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

In the tradition & writing-patterns of The Shawshank Redemption, Oz, Prisoner:Cell Block H, The Green Mile &/or Escape From Alcatraz, among others.

The UFP prison could be a space station, or on an asteroid or some planet or moon.

While I don't like alien 3's story,at all, I like that its a rarity in presenting a futuristic prison in outer space. That aspect or characteristic is 1 of a3's highlights. The other(s) being the movie's appearance & looks, setting.

So, alien 3 would be sort of the “parent” of this UFP incarceration series I'm picturing.

Who would the Warden be? The COs & inmates? Where in the UFP would the prison be?

I imagine Salome Jens' Femme-Odo would be an inmate, wearing an inhibitor, to keep her from changing form & escaping. Rasmussen would be another inmate. The other prisoners should be- ?????

When thinking of this idea I'd always imagine this prison's 24th Century “Schillinger” bringing ”mail” to inmates & when he gets to the Femme-Odo's cell he says to her what Oz's Schillinger said to Keller in 1 very memorable Oz episode:

“Nothing for YOU today foundress! No flower bouquets, no get well cards, NOTHING!”

I'd imagine, for some reason, Femme-Odo becoming best friends with this prison's 24th Century “Ribodeaux”. Did I get his name right? The old guy veteran inmate on Oz who was there for like 40 years.

This veteran inmate would also be this prison's equivalent of James Whitmore's character in Shawshank.

This could be done in regular series style, or a limited-episode series, or in COLUMBO style, 3-4 TV movies a year.

Another option would be to “anthologize” it. Show UFP prison life in the 2160`s/70`s, then in Kirk's time, then the UFP prison already alluded to, in the TNG/DS9/V'GER Era.

Personally I'd go with said series being in limited-episode {6-8} or COLUMBO style. And I'd show each era of Trek's prisons & what they're like.

Maybe season 1 would be Archer's time {after the NX-01 came home & Fed established}, season 2 Kirk's period, & season 3 Picard/Sisko/Janeway's era.

Your opinion(s)>

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

A Trek "prison," which would actually be some sort of rehabilitative penal colony with few, if any, similarities to today's prisons, would probably not make a fantastic setting for a drama. By our standards, it would probably resemble a lot of touchy-feely group-therapy sessions and outdoor work on art or tending animals and stuff like that. There's so little crime in Trek and so many of the serious crimes appear attributable to mental illness that I don't know what sort of people you'd really be seeing in these facilities. Imagine a bunch of people like Bashir's father or Tom Paris, who made bad decisions and copped to them, and I suspect they mostly sit around brooding over their sins until they reach a point where they decide what to do with the rest of their lives. I imagine the mental institutions of the Federation might be a bit more...exciting.

That bit about the female Changeling standing trial for war crimes didn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me. What are they really going to do? What is achieved by keeping her locked up? I imagine they just had her sign a bunch of BS responsibility statements for the history books and then released her back to the Dominion.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed, it would feature lots of basket weaving, people holding hands and talking about their issues.

I doubt the "cells" even have locked doors. If you were actually violent, it's likely you'd be sent somewhere for extensive work with a councillor in a secure facility.

4. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

what do they do with smugglers? I'm sure there are some crimes on the books that cant be attributed to mental illness.

On a side note there was a story in fanfic that dealt with a federation prison. Federation intellegence officer went in on an under cover job and went a little... to undercover

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why?

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

For all the alien-on-alien shower scenes of course. :wtf:

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

They'd sit down and they discuss long and hard the root causes why someone would want to be a smuggler and why they feel the need to obtain material wealth - they would hug, the smuggler would love to touch his inner child and would eventually go off to live on an art commune.

8. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I don't know why someone would be a smuggler. Let's say someone smuggles biomimetic gel or something...like, to the Ferengi. What do the Ferengi have that he can't replicate or whatever? I don't know, maybe he wants a dozen Ferengi servile wives. But to a guy who wanted that, I would say, "Is your holodeck broken?"

One crime I can understand is having oneself genetically enhanced. It isn't that I think it would be right, but I can understand why someone would feel like the risk was acceptable for them to try and become "better" in various ways.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, congrats. An original idea. Don't think I've heard this one before.

Not very Trek-like - because no Fed prison could be hard-core enough to be interesting - but as a concept, sci-fi Oz or Prison Break...not too bad.

That was my first thought, I have to admit - taking the highly-imaginative vicious insanity of Oz and placing it in a sci fi context would result in a quantum increase of the imagination quotient. Might be hard to stomach, or just flat-out confusing to hew-mons, but it would be...different.

11. Herbert1

Herbert1 Captain Captain

I agree that it doesn't sound very Star Trek-like for a Federation prison series. But what if it was a Dominion prisoner of war camp run by the Jem-Hadar like "In Inferno's Light"? Might be an interesting fan fiction series there about POWs/MIAs who were forgotten on a penal asteroid because they are presumed dead. Federation, Romulan, and Klingon prisoners. Could call the penal asteroid "The Rock". :lol: Could call the series Star Trek: Lockdown or Star Trek: Jem'Hadar Big House or Star Trek: Dominion Camp 13.

Though I don't think I would have Chuck Norris of Sylvester Stallone type-rescues ala Braddock or Rambo. :lol: Or Steve McQueen-like hoverbike jumps.

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Fuck no.

13. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

If not a Fed penitentiary, how about a non-Fed correctional facility as Herbert suggests?

STVI:TUC's Klingon prison world of Rura Penthe is an already existing shining example. Romulan, Cardassian prisons/penal worlds are probably just as raw as RP was.

If only an actor who is a “clone” of the late Roger C. Carmel {Harry Mudd}, in both appearance & voice, could be found. Then you could do a TOS era prison break tale about HM escaping from either a Klingon, Rigelian, Denebian or ??? prison.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

camelopard's writing a series called Supermax in the fanfic forum. it's set in the UFP's Supermax prison where Maquis terrorists, Ferengi gangsters and Orion slavers and the like are kept. it's very good.

15. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Thats the one I was trying to think of. How's he doing on it? I haven't seen anything new for a while.

16. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Remember Harry Mudd's rap sheet, seen in focus on that monitor in "Mudd's Women"? "Smuggling, transport of stolen goods, purchase of space vessel with counterfeit currency. Sentence: psychiatric treatment"...

...Which apparently is what Kasidy Yates also got for smuggling, and aiding and abetting the enemy.

Timo Saloniemi

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

IIRC, RL was biting him in the ass quite hard last year. I think he did do one new story last year, but that's it.

18. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Depending on writing.. it could be a good stating point for print, but I can't imagine it being on TV... though that may be down to the sadness in seeing the drop in Red Dwarfs quality when they went into prison for series 8.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah that could work as an adventure series. Or how about Tom Riker in the Cardie prison camp? We never did find out for sure that he was killed. When the Cardassian-Dominion alliance happened, things would have gotten a lot rougher for the prisoners - what did they do then?

Or how about a story of a character who manages somehow to exist among the Borg without truly being one of the Collective? Maybe from a resistant species, able to shield the Borg from such knowledge. If the Borg found out that his or her species was resistant, the Borg would try to exterminate them, which would give the character a motive to continue the charade.

20. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What if it was an off the radar prison facility run by Section 31. Set it during the Dominion War when extracting intelligence was vital. No touchy feely there. Plus, it would fulfill my life long fantasy of seeing a phaser frying any given sentient's genitalia in an act of tor...er...enhanced interrogation.