The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I only saw someone who saved her life and continued to worry about her and tried to cultivate in her a healthier state of mind.

She was going to commit suicide. She may be an adult and a lawyer, but she was going to commit suicide. He saved her and continued to watch over her. Have you never-- either in fiction or, perish forbid, in real life-- known someone who was self destructive, needed help, was resistant to that help and needed to be pushed and prodded in whatever way is necessary? Because it happens quite frequently, even when there's not a Zombie Apocalypse on.

She would have no need to take his weapons, since he never tried to commit suicide. And she did try various approaches to getting through his defenses by appealing to his feelings, as happens in relationships between people.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And so he didn't insist Jacqui leave with him... why?

Precisely.

This isn't about Andrea. This is about him. She doesn't get to do that to him, because he wants her. As a friend, a daughter, a lover, in what sense he wants her is not as important as the knowledge that he wants her and he will do what he can to keep a hold on that. After this display he thinks he deserves a medal or something, or at least, automatically, love and trust from Andrea (even as he holds on to her gun).

Yes? I always thought Carol was a little older than Daryl, although it's true people often assume the age gap is significantly bigger probably due to the fact Carol has grey hair and Daryl does not (Melissa McBride is 47, Norman Reedus is 43).

It's a much smaller age gap than the one between Dale and Andrea, though, however one splices it.

3. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

wow, she's 47? she looks great.

that's hardly an age difference that is worth mentioning though. Unless you are teenagers a 4 year difference is nothing.

4. Kegg

That's true. It's also true even if Norman Reedus is playing a character younger than his age (Lauren Cohan is 30 but Maggie is 22, Emiley Kinney is 28 but Beth is 17) and/or Carol is playing older. However different the ages of Daryl and Carol are, it's not an equivalent gap to Dale and Andrea.

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently Dale assumed too much, as she had another side Dale did not consider, hence her rapid move toward being a wannabe asskicker/gunslinger and sharing some of Shane's worldview--the polar opposite of Dale.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I knew melissa McBride was in her late 40s, and yea, she looks great for her age, but, I had no idea Norman Reedus was in his 40s, I woulda guessed mid-30s

7. RJDiogenes

^^ I would have guessed about 30. He doesn't look anywhere near that old.

I don't really remember Jacqui, so I'd have to rewatch to know for sure, but presumably, in the heat of the crisis, he focused on his friend.

That's just a negative spin on him caring about her-- you can make any relationship sound selfish in that way. The point is that he cared enough about her to save her, to even risk his own life to save her, and then kept an eye on her, and kept dangerous things away from her when she continued to exhibit suicidal behavior. There's nothing creepy about that in the slightest.

8. Kegg

Well if you can't remember one of the biggest dick moves Dale pulled, that might be why you look at him so favourably. Man literally did not care if Jacqui died, but then, Jacqui's not the one he had an interest in.

Someone assuming a guardian role of an adult with whom you have no relationship with (but may desire one) is not just something that sounds pretty selfish, it's not something you find in any realtionship. It's why the comparisons to Rick and Lori and Daryl and Carol don't wash - those are relationships which both parties entered into willingly. Dale pushed himself on Andrea.

9. wissaboo

Dale and anyone else was clearly a paternal type relationship while all the rest, with the exclusion of carl, are a relationship of two equals.

10. RJDiogenes

^^ No doubt, but that doesn't make it creepy.

Maybe or maybe not. Nobody's perfect. Again, in a time of crisis, people tend to focus on their friends over strangers.

And again, this happens all the time with people who are suicidal or otherwise self-destructive. You've got to keep pushing until you get through to them. I'm surprised you're not aware of something so basic.

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Jacqui was no stranger to Dale by that point, as the group had been together for some time. Remember, Dale's the guy running around trying to preach unity (his kind, in any case), so for Mr. Let's Preserve Humanity to focus on Andrea and not try to plead with Jacqui as well makes him appear single-minded (like a desperate teenager who gets tunnelvision), as Andrea was the target of his personal interest.

12. Kegg

^
    Precisely. It's what renders comemnts like this:

Questionable with regard to Dale as he had no interest in doing that if that someone wasn't Andrea. Dale even concedes when demanding Andrea can't die that he has a personal stake in this, that how dare she end her life when he cares about her.

13. Sindatur

I guess I need to rewatch the earlier episodes, because it seems to me, it's a bit much to claim that Dale had no relationship to Andrea and just decided to play Daddy out of nowhere. I'm prety sure I recall them being good friends, and Andrea hanging out with him, and in the RV of her own accord. Yes, she was angry at hm, for playing daddy, especially when he took her gun (That was definitely very questionable, considering the Zombie dangers), but, I don't believe he inserted himself into that position without being encouraged through an already developed frienship

14. wissaboo

what about when he took all the guns. Can we agree at least that it was crazy and showed his need to control everyone else's behaviour?

15. Sindatur

Oh, absolutely. I wasn't trying to defend his every action, everyone's got something we can grumble about.

I was just opposed to this idea, that Dale started trying to play Andrea's Daddy from out of nowhere, because I believe I remember them being good friends

16. RJDiogenes

^^ Right. The idea that saving somebody from suicide is creepy is just wrong.

I'm drawing a blank on Jacqui and the Wiki page doesn't help much, so I'd have to rewatch to remind myself. But, again, whatever he did or didn't do for Jacqui doesn't make what he did do for Andrea creepy.

17. wissaboo

well they were all standing in the same room that is counting down to an explosion, the Dr. and Jacqui say they are going to stay and die. Andrea says she is staying too. Dale tells Andrea if she is staying he is too. Andrea leaves so Dale will leave.

Dr. and Jacqui blow up.

18. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

Lori seemed close to Jacqui, she said her goodbyes and left

19. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

* I seems pretty obvious that zombies go dormant if they haven't fed in awhile, and only become active again when they hear or spot prey. Would explain why we see so many deserted city streets and town in the show. The zombie that got Herchel is probably an example. Would explain how they can carry on for extended periods.

* I do hope the Governor gets a chance to explain his side. I've always been astounded at how anyone could think that way towards their fellow man. I'd like to at least try to understand.

* Anyone else get a George Bush vibe from his "The terrorists want to destroy our freedom!" vibe?

* Don't see Merle coming back to the group. He'd turn into Shane 2.0 pretty darn quickly. My guess? He turns on the Governor and they both go out together.

* Maybe I'm too civilized to survive a zombie apocolypse. I hate how people are constantly killing one another and happily turning away survivors unless they prove themselves useful. Humanities going to have a hard enough time recovering without us doing the zombies work for them.
    Assuming anyone survives, it looks like society is in for several centuries of tribalism and small-time warlords fighting amongst themselves.

* As for the end of the series? Anything but "And they all died. The end."
    Actually, a "Ten Years Later..." title card featuring a small walled town with plowed fields of crops, and kids and dogs playing in the street would be my preferred end. Nothing definate, but very, very hopeful.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  20. RJDiogenes

^^ Yeah, I caught that George Bush homage. :rommie:

So he didn't try to save the doctor, either. With only a few seconds to act, he focused on his friend. That's pretty much what anyone would do. Anybody but Lori, anyway. :rommie: