Roga Danar-Captain Angosia?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Shaka Zulu, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

When I saw the character in 'The Hunted' do what he did, I kept on thinking that the program the Angosians came up with for their troops sounds a lot like the Super-Soldier program that created Captain America, except it made the soldiers aggressive in peace-time and hard to be around people. Anybody else see the similarities between Roga Danar and Steve Rogers?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've always seen a far greater similarity to First Blood, the original Rambo novel/film. They're basically the same premise: soldier turned into ultimate killing machine by his nation is then shunned and abandoned by his nation after the war, and fights back against his oppression the only way he knows.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wonder if Stallone could have played Danar. :)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm perfectly content that he didn't... ;)

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Roga Danar was essentially an allegory for how Vietnam veterans were treated after coming home. Veterans were sometimes shunned, despised, feared, and spit upon for doing work many had been forced into (the draft was still in effect). Many did have trouble readjusting to civilian life, and post traumatic stress syndrome wasn't commonly understood at the time (such men were often described as shell-shocked).

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, because Danar had to be empathetic. I don't think I've seen 5 whole minutes in Stallone's entire career where he evoked empathy successfully

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I liked him in the Expendables films. And of course Demolition Man.