Was Star Trek 11 too similar to Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Nov 5, 2012.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A common complaint of Star Trek 11 is its too similar to Star Wars. Is that a fair complaint?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

No. It has far more in common with The Wrath of Khan and Nemesis than it does with Star Wars.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

4. XFozzboute

XFozzboute Captain In Memoriam

That whole thing about Star Trek 11 being like Star Wars is just a load of crap.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I predict people will accuse Episode VII of being too much like ST:XII. Or something. Because they both begin with "Star".

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Haven't I seen this movie before?

Is this another reboot?

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you have a particular Star Wars episode in mind, or just Star Wars in general?

:)

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

This is one of the usual flimsy excuses bandied about by the Trek XI haters to justify why they're completely incapable of liking the film for its own merits.

So no, it's not a fair complaint.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Once upon a time, there was a film. It had spaceships, lasers, aliens, and faster-than-light travel. It told the story of an originally aimless young man beginning the hero's journey, encouraged by a wise older mentor to follow in the footsteps of his dead hero father who was killed by the film's villain. At the climax, this young man destroyed a dangerous spaceship which had single-handedly annihilated a peaceful planet and threatened to do the same thing to others.

What film am I talking about?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

Nor does a small number of loud trufans repeating something endlessly make it a "common complaint."

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It just makes it an annoying baseless complaint.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, that was a joke... from over three years ago. Almost no one took it seriously then, and I'm a bit surprised to see the question even being asked now.

Here - you decide:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd0j97RhZUQ[/yt]

13. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spaceballs?

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

When you put it that way....HOLY SHIT!!! It was the EXACT same movie!!!

...well, not really.:p

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ THIS
    Lets not forget:
    Nero and the Romulans having facial tattoos like Darth Maul from Phantom Menace.

Kirk being stranded in the wilderness on an snow/ice planet. Like Luke was in Empire Strikes back

Kirk nearly getting eaten by a dino crab on the ice planet. Just like Luke nearly getting eaten by a snow monster with horns in Empire Strikes Back.

Kirk getting a vision about his future destiny from elder Spock on the ice planet, similar to Luke's vision on Hoth to go to the Dagobah system from old Obi-Wan.

Luke living on a moisture farm before leaving for his jedi training. Kirk living on a farm before his enlisting in Star Fleet.

Abrams lifted A LOT of imagery from Star Wars. Even more from Star Trek notably Nemesis and TWOK.

Nero being a hated nemesis of Spock for things that were out of Spock's control. Attempting and using a benevolent machine (Genesis/Red Matter) as a WMD. Obessive compulsion to make Spock suffer. etc

The Romulans being bald miners who wear trench coats. Just like the Remans of Nemesis who were bald, miners and wore trench coats.

The Scimitar and Narada looking like sibling ships.
    Now people give NEM shit for saying the slave Remans could never build the Scimitar. But Shinzon says it was built at a secret base. Being apart of the military it was most likely not a secret from the Tal Shiar or the military. No way it could be. Probably a secret from the Praetor and senate. With the Narada as it fits in the context of the movie we have no idea where Nero got it, and it's presented that's it's always been that way. The special feature on the dvd say it was upgraded at the HUB after the destruction of Romulus, just like the prequel comic does. Although the timeline of events in the movie contradict that. As well as what the Narada is capable varies of in the movie, comics and special features.

There are more examples but I can't think of them all at present.

I was REALLY irritated by all the praise critics and audiences were giving Star Trek XI back during it's debut. Saying it's the best film out of all of them is laughable because if these people saw the other movies they'd quickly realize that this is a copy and paste film with themes, ideas and imagery lifted from other sources and disguised in a $150 million budget. Presentation is great but you could dissect the movie very easily and find it's parent material in the other NEM, TWOK, A New Hope, TESB, and TPM

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't get this. Was Spock in Star Wars? NO. There is not even a wannabe Spock character in Star Wars. There is no one like Spock in Star Wars. Spock IS Star Trek, the TOS era. Any similarities are the similarities you find in all great tales.

17. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The question we should ask, is:

Is Star Wars too similar to Star Trek?

I mean come on. Proton Torpedoes? You're not fooling anyone, buddy.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

People were complaining that Star Trek had become too similar to Star Wars back when Wrath of Khan was released. See: "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek" in Best of Trek #7.

Any resemblences story-wise are superficial. Kirk being raised on a farm? That goes back to The Original Series, before Star Wars was a twinkle in George Lucas' eye. WMD's? Villains with grudges? Action sequences? Fights? All staples of action movies, no matter if they're set on earth or deep space.

19. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^And the wise old mentor even predates Merlin to Arthur. In "The Odyssey", Odysseus was mentored by, well, Mentor.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

When? I don't remember any mention of Kirk being raised on a farm in TOS. But, I'm getting old and may not remember something. :lol: