the use of music in scifi & fantasy

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MadaBidyoni, Sep 29, 2012.

1. MadaBidyoni

MadaBidyoni Lieutenant Red Shirt

like in the new thunder cats :lol:

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Did they ever do that musical version of 'The last Starfighter'? that must have been interesting. A space opera?

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

The Babylon 5 episode "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place" used that song being sung at a religious service as counterpoint to a character running and trying to get away from a mob. It made for a really creepy and effective scene.

Jan

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think my favorite use of music in Sci-Fi is when Scully sings "Jeremiah was a Bullfrog" to help Mulder fall asleep.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Awsome. No lyrics but the music was still part of the story. :techman:

I nominate that tune Maria Ospenkia(sp) played on the violin in "Frankenstein", the tune she used to soothe the monster and to make him return to the castle.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, forgive me, but you've got a bunch of old horror movies mixed up here.

The bit with the violin was not from the original "Frankenstein," but from the Mel Brooks parody "Young Frankenstein"--with Cloris Leachman as "Frau Blucher."

This bit was probably inspired by a similar bit of business in "Son of Frankenstein," where Ygor (played by Bela Lugosi) uses a violin to control the Monster.

Maria Ouspenkaya was not in the original "Frankenstein." She played Maleva the gypsy in "The Wolf Man" and reprised the role in "Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man."

It's possible Maleva does the violin trick in "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman." I can't remember.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked it when Sam and Dean sung Bon Jovi's Wanted: Dead or Alive. Dean's time is almost up and he's going to go to Hell. It's a nice bonding moment between the brothers as time is running out for Dean.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK-4SgpAJRs[/yt]

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The most famous example is of course 2001 a Space Odyssey where music is an integral part of the opening sequence the the evolution of man from the aliens and of course the sequences in space.

10. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's the Voyager Episode where they come across the species that has never heard singing. The Doctor becomes an opera star until they make their own singer that sounds like its (holographic) gonads are trapped in a vice.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A Clockwork Orange and Lovely Ludwig Van?

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

HAL sings "Daisy" while his memory is being taken out in 2001.

The Mos Eisley Cantina Band in Star Wars. The musical numbers at Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi. The celebrations at the end of ROTJ and TPM; IMO it's unclear whether everybody can hear the music in-universe at the medal ceremony in ANH, though. No doubt others from the Star Wars saga.

13. gblews

Okay, lets just go with Frau Blucher in Young Frankenstein and Ygor in Son of Frankenstein, then. :D

14. gblews

But how was the music in these scenes "part of the story"?

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another entry - Outer Limits: Music of the Spheres

16. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

There's one scene in Clockwork Orange where Malcolm McDowell is actually whistling the theme of the movie itself.

17. MadaBidyoni

MadaBidyoni Lieutenant Red Shirt

how they used it there? :)

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, in the case of ANH, the band stopped playing when Ben sliced off the arm of the alien taunting Luke, then started up again. On the other hand, it didn't miss a beat when Han shot Greedo. No one cared that someone got shot with a blaster; that seemed normal. But pull out a lightsaber, and everyone stopped whatever they were doing. That's telling part of the story right there, since their cover was blown.

Is this sort of thing what the OP is looking for? I don't know.

---

Little Shop of Horrors, in case that wasn't mentioned. But, that was originally not a musical, so was the music really part of the story? I don't know. To me, it was.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral