PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I'm closer to Lake Success than Great Neck - but the missus grew up in Little Neck. I can actually walk to (and see) LIJ from where I live.

Moving to Syracuse, though ... how has the lake effect snow been? I used to drive past Syracuse (from Albany to Rochester and back again) on a weekly basis. And in the winter, it seemed like it was forever snowing there. In the spring, summer, and fall, though, Central NY is very scenic.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Nice shot. I noticed you shot at 1\800 and ISO 160. I guess you have your camera set to auto ISO? Which lens did you use?

3. Greylock Crescent

Thanks!

And yes, I've found myself tending to use the Tv setting on the camera, setting my shutter speed myself and letting the camera choose both the ISO and aperture - especially if I am out shooting moving subjects (people, birds, animals, planes, etc.). That way I'm less worried about exposure and more able to focus on framing and capturing the subject at the right moment. My new 70D really does well with that, with its focusing system and faster frames-per-second. This shot, though, was with the old T2i (it was about 10 degrees outside and I didn't want to expose the new camera to the more extreme conditions). Its buffer fills up after just a couple of shots, so I was fortunate to get one that captured the action. I used a Canon 18-135mm (non-STM) lens. I really like its versatility.

4. Savage Dragon

Nice. I find the buffer on my T3i fills up fast too, especially when shooting in RAW.

5. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What stadium is that?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. Savage Dragon

It's the one in Ann Arbor, but I can't remember the name of it offhand. Cool shot Ruaidhri!

8. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Fantastic!

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Now that's a cool panoramic shot of the stadium. That you got the entire scene in just one image is pretty impressive....a lot of pictures like that are composites of several photos edited together, so congrats!

10. Greylock Crescent

Fantastic shots Ruaidhri!!

Yeah, that was a major factor in my upgrade to the 70D. Not only does it fire faster, it holds more photos in the buffer. It's great for getting candid shots.

11. Ruaidhri

Michigan Stadium!
    And the panorama setting on the iPhone works surprisingly well! This one was the second attempt. The first one came out a little warped.

That's after the ice storm we had here. Wife and I were leaving on Christmas Eve to visit my folks in Pennsylvania, and the sun was making everything glisten like crystal. I took this picture through the driver side window of the car while at a red light--wish I'd time to take more pictures.

12. Greylock Crescent

^ Is that also from the iPhone?

13. Ruaidhri

Yeah--my 4S takes better pictures than my little Fuji point and shoot. At some point, I want to get a DSLR, but it just isn't in my budget right now.

14. cooleddie74

Most of my Android photos don't look this good, I have to say, and I have a pretty good and recent Android phone. I guess I should consider getting an iPhone just for the long-term photography value.

15. Greylock Crescent

Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well my 4S takes photos. I really need to make use of it more often. Don't get me wrong, I love my Canon DSLR. But the iPhone really can give you pretty good, sharp shots in lots of different conditions:

[​IMG]

16. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Recently I acquired a Galaxy S-III... I already know that I need to find myself a better camera-driver than what came with the device - My four year older smartphone came with a better camera-driver but I found one that even then I could make tremendously better images with a different driver (alas it was a beta and never came in a fully developed version).

17. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

LOVE the photos Rhuaidhri and Ancient Mariner! The colours and texture are gorgeous!

The camera seems to be about the only thing that has remained top notch in the iPhone. Trekkiedane, let me know if you find a driver you're happy with... or if anyone has good suggestions for improving the Galaxy image quality...

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

19. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

^ If it does everything it says on the tin, that's really exciting! I had assumed perhaps they had cut costs on the hardware, rather than a simple software issue... fingers crossed!

20. cooleddie74

Thanks much for that link, Timby. Anything to improve the quality of my phone pictures I'll look into.