How did the cast feel when Worf was made a regular?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Dale Sams, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't say I've ever read any scuttlebutt on that, but I didn't get much into the behinds the scene stuff on DS9.

:klingon:-"I understand your show could use some sexy."

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've never read any complaints, though I suspect some of them were worried about their screen time. At least nobody got fired for it, unlike TNG and VOY.

3. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

"I am also disturbed that none of your characters seem to be at all concerned with extolling the health benefits of prune juice."

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Excited when I heard about it, bored when I saw it in action.

5. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aww. really? I'm watching "The Ship" right now, and the inclusion of an actual soldier does wonders for the ep.

6. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unlike Barbie of Borg, Worf didn't take attention away from the characters, which is to be applauded.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

What he said.

8. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't speak for the DS9 cast and I haven't read anything about it. But DS9 had a very large supporting cast of recurring characters, in many ways equal to the main cast. I can't imagine the addition of Worf would be any more unsettling than the additions of Garak or Brunt or Damar or Eddington or Bareil or Nog or Shakaar or Rom or Leeta or Dukat or Yates or...

9. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

I'm guessing the cast felt like manure. The crew was certainly elated.

10. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

In the DS9 companion a few members of the cast said they didn't know Michael Dorn was joining the show until they returned from summer break! Nana Visitor stated she was concerned that it would take away from screen time but that ultimately she thought it was a great idea and that she loves Dorn and that he brought a certain sense of fun to the set that hadn't been there before.

11. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, and René Auberjonois didn't know until he heard it from a fan at a convention!

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

You were in the cast of DS9?

13. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I would imagined Kira's character was the most directly threatened by Worf, though in reality Dax ended up demoted from being the resident Klingon. I don't think she ever had her own storyline after Rejoined.

e
    I'm glad it ended up being this way, I bet the cast was too.

14. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, you're right. I never really considered it from quite that point of view, but, while it probably seemed like Kira ran the most risk of being adversely affected by Worf's arrival, she ended up with some of the strongest material in the later seasons.

It was really Jadzia who suffered most because she became somewhat of an accessory to Worf.

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, Jadzia wasn't really all that compelling as a standalone character. Sure, she had a few episodes where she shined, but she was mostly "royal smart person," "Sisko's old friend/mentor," and "person who flirts with everything that's sapient" before Worf rolled around. Becoming Worf's accessory isn't the worst thing in the world.

16. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I tend to agree, but the same can be said of Bashir for seasons 1-3 at least, as another example. The writers kept throwing stuff at him, though, and, while it's a bit of a mixed bag, at least one extremely cool thing resulted from it (Section 31).

Having said that, of course we will never know what would have happened if Jadzia's relatonship with Worf had not become such a focus for her.

In reality, there was probably never really much of a risk with Kira, because most of her stories don't really flow from her role in the crew, but rather from her ties to the Resistance, the Prophets, the Cardassians, etc. There's really not much overlap with Worf at all.

17. Dankokoro

Dankokoro Ensign Red Shirt

That's classic..

Worfs inclusion must have been a good thing for the ratings health of the show, right?

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Worf's inclusion is what guaranteed I would start watching.

I don't even think Worf was written very well until later in his stay. In all his season four episodes he seems like a petty, dangerously impulsive manchild. They started to figure out how to write him better in season five.

The thing about Dax is, she had such an established personality it didn't really make sense to develop it anywhere. So she ended up being defined by her personal relationships and her comic relief.

19. Durek

Durek Commander Red Shirt

Colm Meany, who worked with Michael Dorn on TNG, had no problem with it. In fact in an issue of the defunct Star Trek Communicator magazine, Colm Meany was kind of happy.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Actually just misread it when I answered the thread originally. :shrug: