A Little Something: Enterprise G (with input from Gabe Koerner)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by erifah, Jun 17, 2014.

1. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Here's a little something I put together during a bout of OCD.

When I got her almost all done... the original warp nacelles looked all wrong and I said I want to change them. Gabe sketched a quick shape for the nacelles - and it was PERFECT, of course.

[​IMG]

2. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

And here she is with the lights turned up:

[​IMG]

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome :)

5. Bell'Orso

Bell'Orso Lieutenant Red Shirt

Love it. Nacelles remind of Narsil's Interceptor class from way back, or a few fan designs from the Bridge Commander modding community (not sure of the exact modders right now). And those impulse engine housings look awesome! :)

6. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Narsil did the concept drwaings, and Mavek fleshed the ship in lightwave. Later, I converted her to 3ds max and pepperman ported it to bridge commander. ;)
    Yes the naceles are similar, but the interceptor has longer naceles. Probert´s Enterprise F has more similarity.

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would love to see some more of this, very interesting concept.

Are those solarpanels on the saucer?

8. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Nope. Them's windows. Hundreds and hundreds of windows packed together in a honeycomb grid. I liked the idea of the tops decks of the saucer having huge expanses of window area when you look up and into the majestic... majesty of the galaxy.

Sadly, Klingons are peeping Toms, so this might not work well over private living quarters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

User-variable window-tinting technology as the solution!

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And am I seeing shuttlebays on port and starboard?

11. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Yep.

I'm still not satisfied with them, but I haven't been able to come up with something better - yet. But that's the location where they will stay.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of the solar road treatment.

Nice to see something besides the aztek--that wouldn't show at that scale anyway.

One of the best saucers ever!

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

What do you see as her dimensions?

:)

14. PhoenixClass

PhoenixClass Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Two details that popped out to me are the stars over the impulse engines and the bridge complex. The D had a little extension off the central part of the bridge but this has several. It conveys a sense of activity.

15. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Haven't decided yet.

I do know she's considerably smaller than I had originally planned. I'm saving "big" for my next project: essentially a mobile star base.

I threw this together to show roughly where I'm at with her size. I see her as a direct descendant of the "D" lineage; maybe an alternative universe where the Borg weren't a threat and/or the "D" had a long service life, and its successors followed its design philosophy instead of the more "badass" John Eaves' "E".

(Anyone know who did that "D" so I can give credit?)

[​IMG]

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

17. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

What a bold and striking design! At first I thought it looked a little... awkward, but seeing it "flying in formation" alongside Enterprise-D... quite lovely!

18. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Thanks!

FWIW, I actually like to design in a bit of awkwardness - to my mind it makes something like this more believable. In the same way a 747 is actually quite cumbersome and ungainly until it takes flight.

19. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Thanks!

The stars over the saucer impulse engines were inspired by the compressor turbines on the P-38. The engines are of course shaped like the Trek Insignia, and I was looking for a legitimate way to include the insignia's star.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly, I think the star needs work because it doesn't seem to DO anything, and as such, looks like a too-cute detail thrown in just to have it there.

I'm glad you like the bridge complex! I worked on that separately a long time ago for a different, shelved project.

What I have in mind for what's going on in it... is something that I'll never be able to draw! But, I see a large, "conventional" bridge module at the rear; instead of a view screen, it opens wide directly into 3-story room (the center dome) that houses a holodeck-style holographic projector.

The center dome balconies and the command bridge look into a holographic projection of whatever is needed - the galaxy, the solar system, the commander of an alien ship, or just a tactical display of a couple of ships. The crew would walk around inside the holographic display if they wanted to.

(Yeah, kinda like the Prometheus holographic projection idea, only with more Star Trek-style "stellar cartography" and less killing and creepiness and stuff.)

[​IMG]

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Actually, I think it does - it shows that the Federation has entered a new era of peace & exploration, so much so that they would give attention to such small aesthetic details like this, as opposed to pumping out purely functional and less aesthetically pleasing designs with hideous makeshift cobbled-together components and paint schemes, like during the Dominion War era (DS9 kitbashes). I say don't change a thing - it's a great designator of the times in which it was built!