11/22/63 by Stephen King

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I realize this book's been out for awhile, but I loved it. It might be my favorite one Stephen King ever wrote. What did you all think of it? (I've heard talk of a film version but that seems to be in development hell at this time. :( )

And I wonder if it's possible to tie this book into The Dark Tower like so many other of King's works. Those "time bubbles" might be "thinnies" from the DT mythos...

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i thought it was really great. especially the ending. the ending was heart breaking.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

To the public at large I imagine they see it all as equally cheesy.

EDIT: ignore this, meant for another thread

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

I didn't think it was cheesy at all.

I do think it's interesting that in each and every instance I've seen, in whatever novel or film or TV show you care to name, in which the assassination of JFK is prevented, what you end up with is a much worse world than ours.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whoops, no idea how that posted here, that was meant for the Godzilla thread. :)

6. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a good book, if a bit long. At least he didn't use a cop-out ending like so many non-scifi authors tend to do when dabbling in the genre.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it, even if I adhere to the conspiracy theory re JFK. It was overly long but that's to be expected from King now. At least I finished it - I've picked up several of his over recent years and not gotten past a few chapters. And the ending was particularly good, particularly the alternate history set out by the hero's actions.

This would have to be one helluva long movie. I think like a lot of King fare it might work better as a miniseries.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I loved it, and believe me when I say I've never been the greatest King fan in the world, and I too have not managed to finish at least one of his books. I thought it was brilliant, too long, far too long, and actually I cared less about the whole JFK aspect than I did about the man out of time/romance elements, and the thing damn near made me cry in the end.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that basically a common trope to time travel stories where a significant historical event, whether real or fictional, is changed?

10. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep. Its quite an unfortunate one, too. Its basically a way to justify a tragedy.

I prefer universes where saving JFK doesn't really change anything.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

The 80's Twilight Zone had an episode very similar to this. It's called "Profile in Silver". And yes, that is Andrew Robinson, who pretty much owns the role of JFK.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1UkcPFyxiU[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIGeAdZyNA[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQhM4mZx-k[/yt]

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this book very much. Couple things, like the realities of future knowledge regarding gambling, and how and why the burgers at the present-day dinier were so good and cheap were particularly enjoyable to me.

13. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Sort of. 11.22.63 ties in with IT, which has ties to The Dark Tower. There's also a scene in Wolves of the Calla where the ka-tet discuss going back in time to save JFK and conclude it would be a bad idea.

14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a big Stephen King fan at all but I thoroughly enjoyed this novel! I didn't care for the ending as much as others because it countered its own theme. But, it is a novel I'd recommend to others.

The theme of improving the world through everyday good choices was undone by the forced action. The extensive detail and good deeds were all undone!
    Mr Awe

15. Mr. Laser Beam

yeah, I thought it was pretty funny how Al Templeton always was accused of making his burgers out of cats or dogs or skunks or whatever. :lol:

I really hope the film version of this book has a chance to get made. Still got my fingers crossed...