The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    :lol:

One of the best aspects of these is that I can picture the actual onscreen characters saying these things. None of it feels out of character whatsoever.

2. cooleddie74

Just breaking: the very first carded images of three of the brand new, upcoming figures in Wave 4 of The Black Series (3.75").

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Is it sad I had to look up the last character on Wookiepedia? :p I also wonder if Willrow Hood will be in the black series. :biggrin:

4. cooleddie74

Toryn Farr: you might not have a clue who she is, but we've made her. So stop bugging us. :)

5. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Inspired by yesterday's episode of Avengers Assemble, Mojo World...Hawkeye has learned his lesson. The Hulk will eat all of his pickles if he doesn't guard them!

[​IMG]

6. cooleddie74

Pickles. More dangerous than Loki and Red Skull combined!

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Today was a toyapalooza for me!

First, I told myself I wasn't going to pick up any of the new DC Total Heroes. The style is cartoony, and I'm still bitter about them replacing my beloved DC Universe Classics. But, I'm a sucker for anything Green Lantern, and for $10 figures these are really not bad, so I grabbed Hal and Sinestro
    [​IMG]

Second, I found the John Hurt Doctor. Man, the likeness on this this thing is just astonishing!
    [​IMG]

And finally I picked up the DC Collectibles Arkham Orgins Killer Croc. This is one huge hunk of toy! Loads of articulation, a beautiful sculpt, fantastic paint, twice as large as any of the other figures in the line, and still only $24.99. When DCC released the Arkham City Croc, it was the same exact size, but they charged $80 for it. I guess they learned thier lesson. This time around, Croc is the same price as the rest. Is it too early to call figure of the year?
    [​IMG]

8. Unicron

Sinestro actually looks pretty nice, IMO; not as cartoon-oriented as Hal does, and he's not too shabby either.

9. Kira's Mom

I really, really want this Black Widow from Winter Soldier. But she's just too damn expensive. :(

Still waiting for my Funko Pop! Black Widow, too. Toy Wiz is so pokey.

10. cooleddie74

Hey, congrats on your impressive new scores, OdoWan!

11. OdoWanKenobi

The reason she's so expensive is because the second wave of Winter Soldier figures is only just now starting to hit. Widow is the most sought after, and is female so she's shortpacked. Hence the price gauging. I'm on the hunt for her, too. Just be patient, and watch your local stores. She'll hopefully start showing up in better numbers soon enough.

12. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the War Doctor looks, as the 9th would say, fantastic!

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

My friends, the long wait is finally over! Today was the day! After waiting almost three years my Diamond Select Enterprise-E arrived this morning! Not quite the "Nemesis" version I originally wanted, I opted to get the "First Contact" version which is just beautiful. I think it's even the re-issue.

Also the Marvel Infinite Series Amazing Spider-Man 2 figure is just simply astonishing. One of the best Spidey figures I've ever seen. The first one I've owned since I was a little kid.

I'll try and post the pictures I took later.

14. Kira's Mom

Crossing my fingers!

15. cooleddie74

The upcoming 6" Black Series Chewbacca in his packaging.

[​IMG]

Not remotely perfect (none of these are), but I like him a lot. He should be a popular one on store shelves.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, it's extremely unlikely, but it would be awesome if we ever got Clone Wars Black Series figures. I'd take an Anakin and Ahsoka in an instant!

17. Unicron

I wound up getting a triple score today, on top of also getting some gaming stuff in the mail that I had ordered. The company I use for some of my gaming needs is full of win. :D

I picked up the new Whirl figure, which is pretty nice. I think they accurately captured a lot of the original G1 figure, which was a non-Takara mold that also cropped up in a few other 80s toylines, while also improving some things. G1 Whirl was unusual in having only claws instead of regular hands, a trait which the IDW continuity has explained as a form of political disfigurement employed by the corrupt Cybertronian Senate before the war broke out. Generations Whirl keeps those, but they're now designed to fold into his arms which is a nice touch.

This version also has a third "gerwalk" mode, which the original Jeftire toy technically possessed because of the Macross mold. The gerwalk is basically an inbetween mode combining elements of the vehicle and robot, so it's sort of like a combat walker. One interesting addition, which I have mixed feelings about, is that Whirl includes a sticker sheet for a lot his details. Some of these are extremely small and thin, so you'll have to be careful in putting them on. Most of them are transparent but some details aren't immediately visible on the sheet, because some have white text and the sticker sheet is solid white. There seems to be some minor variation between where the instructions say to put them and where the stock photographs apply them, and the latter doesn't seem to have some of them attached. The biggest plus is that these stickers are a lot more durable than their G1 counterparts - you can often pull them off if they need adjustment. The biggest con is that their size can make the edges fold in and thus more of a pain to get straight.

I also picked up Doubledealer and Skywarp. DD is sort of a mixed bag, in that the details look really nice and he's a cool looking update. However, the significant flaws with the Blitzwing mold (loose shoulders for example and the rubbery nosecone) weren't corrected and they affect him as well.

Skywarp uses the Fall of Cybertron mold that was earlier used for Starscream and Thundercracker (who can be seen here since I don't yet have a good picture of Skywarp). It's nice to have all three Seekers and it would be interesting to see if they tried to make versions of the Conehead Seekers (Dirge, Ramjet & Thrust) with this mold as well.

18. cooleddie74

Well, I can't speak for those two characters but we are getting two super-articulated 3.75" Clone Wars characters in the Black Series line as shown last month during the Hasbro panel presentation at New York Toy Fair.

Clone Commander Wolffe
    Clone Commander Doom (from the new Season 6 as seen on Netflix)

At least the prevailing theory is that the greenish-colored Clone with the kama is Doom. For all we know it could be a similar-looking commander from a previous season but the timing makes that seem a bit unlikely.

19. OdoWanKenobi

Chewie's a Wookie who's just gotta dance!

So, I may be a terrible person. I found all of Wave 2 of the 6" Captain America: The Winter Soldier figures at Wal-Mart today. These retail for $19.96, but they had accidentally stocked them on the pegs for the smaller $9.96 figures. So, I grabbed a set, walked up to the register with them, and when they rang up for $19.96 I gave my best surprised look and said they were supposed to be $9.96. They checked, and overrode the price, so I got each of these for half-price. I feel kinda guilty for taking advantage of what I knew to be a mistake, but at the same time I'm kinda elated. The figures are good, but each has a rather glaring problem keeping them from greatness.
    [​IMG]

Cap is a divine figure. This one hits all the right points on poseability and sculpt. I just feel the random Daniel Craig headsculpt is an odd access....what's that? Chris Evans? Oh....well they really dropped the ball on that one then.

[​IMG]
    I'm lukewarm on Winter Soldier himself. He's lighter on the accessories than Cap, with just his cartoony rifle and Juggalo Brendan Fraser alternate headsculpt (Steve's hand is there to prop up the head for the picture.) Also, mine was warped by the packaging is bow-legged because of it. Other than those things, he's a well sculpted figure, though.

[​IMG]
    (See, KM if I can find her at retail, so can you!) At last! A 6" Black Widow! My Avengers display has been missing her, and even though this is a CA:TWS figure, she comes with an alternate head sporting her Avengers hair. The problem? Her friggin pistols are molded into the belt. She even comes with alternate trigger hands, but no friggin guns to hold with them! What the hell, Hasbro?

20. cooleddie74

First: that's one helluva score, man. Way to go!

Second: I guess the 6" Chewie must be auditioning for a remake of the Thriller video.