The Wrong Doctor - An AU Doctor Who series

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by jerriecan, Jun 26, 2011.

1. jerriecan

jerriecan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since the fanfic section does allow occasional forays into other TV series, I thought I'd share a series of fanfics I created for Doctor Who. It features an Alternate Universe Seventh Doctor, whose timeline diverged from the one established in the TV series some time before the story begins. Currently this series stands at thirteen stories. I hope you enjoy it!

Stories are presented in PDF format. (I can post them here in bbcode if people would like, PDF is just easier for me.)

Comments and criticism are always welcome.

And now, may I present...

The Quiet Ones

Jerriecan

2. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, thank goodness for that. Having said I'd read your stories I was worried that they might turn out to be rubbish, and I'd have to find something neutrally polite to say. As it turns out, this is really rather good. A straightforward story, with some excellent descriptive prose and good characterisation.

A couple of minor problems, some of the terms used, like 'cot' or 'cell phone', are American (we'd say camp bed and mobile phone) but that's hardly a major disaster. And despite the illustration and the description of the Doctor, I still saw him played by Sylvester McCoy, which made some dialogue seem a bit odd, especially the swearing.

Those points aside this was an enjoyable read, and I look forward to the next one. :techman:

3. jerriecan

Thanks for the kind words - I wrote this some years ago, before I put much thought into learning the terms used in the UK. I promise, the stories improve in that detail as they go on. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well - this one is quite rough around the edges, before I learned the value of rewrites and editors. And I was trying to step away from Sylv's portrayal, make my 7th Doctor a very different man than the 'official' version.

Stay tuned for another installment tomorrow... :)

Jerriecan

4. jerriecan

Here is the second story in this series:

The Night Watch

Hope you like it! :)

Jerriecan

5. The Badger

Very interesting! Now we know why this Doctor diverges from the 'real' one!

Great work on the descriptions too, I can really imagine what the station looked like.

6. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Very well done!

7. jerriecan

Thank you both for your kind words! I thought it vital to establish the station as somewhere real, somewhere the Doctor would have spent a not-insignificant portion of his long life. Good to know that it worked! :)

And now... may I present the next installment in The Wrong Doctor series:

The Gemini Vaults.

Hope you enjoy it! (And Badger, keep a lookout for a certain garment. ;) )

8. The Badger

Excellent, truly excellent. A compelling story that makes perfect sense (OK, the Doctor does figure it out very quickly with little information, but then, he's the Doctor), believable characterisation throughout, and an attention to detail that adds greatly to the verisimilitude of the setting. Descriptions of things, like the ration bars or the blue and white lights on the troopers vehicle, make things seem more real.

And Cynara definitely gets the Badger seal of approval :techman:!

(BTW, have you seen this thread? http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=144170 Seems right up your street ;))

Looking forward to the next one!

9. jerriecan

The Badger seal of approval! My life is truly complete. ;) :D

And now, the next installment in The Wrong Doctor series:

The Echoes of Calluna

Jerriecan

10. jerriecan

Here's the next installment in The Wrong Doctor series.

The Perfect Flaw

Hope you enjoy! C&C always appreciated.

Jerriecan

11. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

Well you've managed to temper the grit of the 9th with the adventure that I would have seen from the 8th. It is a really well written series and I like the mixture of both the "I" point of view and the third person point of view. Somehow I get a vision of the classic TARDIS and the grandeur of the 8th Doctor's TARDIS. Keep up the good work!

12. The Badger

Been busy, so I've only just now managed to read The Echoes Of Calluna. As well written as always, with an interesting mystery that has a satisfactory and logical solution.

One complaint though. Cynara no longer wears the slipsuit! :wah:

13. jerriecan

Thanks for reading, Badger! Much as I love the thought of a buxom Doctor Who companion clad in nothing but a skintight latex catsuit, I just couldn't figure out a reasonable excuse to keep her clad that way. So now it's bare midriffs and painted-on jeans - oh, I gave it away! Better go read the next story!

May I present the sixth installment in The Wrong Doctor tales...

The Faraday Intrigue.

Enjoy! :)

Jerriecan

14. The Badger

Who needs an excuse? Tegan stayed in her uniform for her entire first series, Ace rarely changed...keeping one set of clothes on is practically a Who tradition!

I've just read The Perfect Flaw. Very well done. I could really hear Colin deliver some of his dialogue.

15. jerriecan

Here's the seventh installment in The Wrong Doctor series.

The Möbius Trap.

Jerriecan

16. The Badger

I've just got around to reading The Faraday Intrigue. Excellent. Well written and compelling, with lots of little details that add to the realism. I'm really enjoying your alternate Doctor stories.

A couple of minor points, there's comments made about Trevor's clothes, but no one seems to take notice of what Cynara's wearing. And I'm fairly sure a gentleman of Victorian London would carry a billfold, not a wallet. It's the same thing, but you wouldn't want to be mistaken for an American, would you?

But you'd have to be a pedant with no life to notice those. I did :guffaw:.

17. jerriecan

Thanks for the comments, Badger! Yeah, you raise some good points there - hadn't even thought about Cynara's clothes, or the billfold/wallet. My research (such as it was) went into other areas. Glad you liked it! Hope you plan on reading The Mobius Trap?

And may I present the eighth Wrong Doctor story:

The Coldfield Quarantine.

Enjoy!

Jerriecan

18. The Badger

Just read The Mobius Trap. Very good. It started out rather reminiscent of a short story called (I think) Conundrum, from one of the 80's Dr Who annuals, but quickly metamorphosed into something far darker.

The interlinking of these stories suggests you've got a 'series arc' all planned out. I'm fascinated to see where it is going!

19. jerriecan

Thanks for reading, Badger! :) Yes, dark was what I was going for - this is definitely not a happy tale. And yes, there is a story arc - but you'll just have to keep reading to find out where it leads. ;)

Jerriecan

20. jerriecan