Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by indianatrekker26, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I originally thought the same thing, but didn't Abrams sorta hint at a happy ending? Something along the lines of going into darkness, but coming out? That's not as likely in a cliffhanger, but I guess that could happen in a 3rd movie.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yup, and SalvadorHardin's post confirms, EW isn't confirming it, but, rather repeating the unconfirmed rumors.

Yea, it's very likely he is an Augment, and possibly Khan, but, I'm leaning towards not Khan.

Truly, it makes no difference to me. If he does turn out to be Khan, it won't be a retread of Space Seed or Wrath of Khan. It will be an entirely new story, so wether he's Khan or another Augment makes no difference whatsoever, IMHO, the only thing it will have in common with the previous stories is the Super Strength/Intelligence, the long nap, and that he will be the bad guy, nothing else will be the same.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

"Unconfirmed rumors suggest...." WTF! WTF is an unconfirmed rumor? All rumors are by definition unconfirmed. Jeez. What a load of crap. People get paid to write that stuff? Real newspapers are dying, real reporters are out of work, and this passes as someone being a journalist and doing real work to report a story? Anyone of us on these boards could've written that. I wonder if the reporter is brave enough to stand by those rumors?

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Err "cliffhanger" =/= sad ending.

6. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

The theory in the newsarama article makes a lot of sense. Even if it isn't completely right, I believe it's closer to the truth than all the other theories.

I can even imagine what the reveal will be:

John Harrison: No, Kirk....Khan is my great..great... grandfather!!!

Captain Kirk: Nooooooo!!!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  7. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, you're right. For every Star Wars there's a Back to the Future. I guess I just got the feeling from Abrams' comments that this story might be self contained.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be funny if they botched up and spoiled it. But I read a couple of cheap nasty websites (Hi there, Daily Mail!) which reported that the first Into Darkness teaser somehow confirmed that Cumberbatch was playing Khan.

9. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

John Harrison:"Kirk, you can destroy the Emperor, he has forseen this. It is your destiny, join me and together we will rule the galaxy..."

oh wait, wrong franchises.

10. Franklin

:lol: Well, there is this quote from Khan in "Space Seed", although he's directing it to Mr. Scott and not Kirk: "Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man and you gain a thousand fold. I am such a man. Join me. I'll treat you well. I need your training to operate a vessel this complex."

In other words, "Give yourself to the dark side, Scotty."

11. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Cumberbatch is Harcourt Mudd. You heard it here first.

12. Franklin

And he's been taking the Venus drug. :devil:

13. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

You know, I think you're the only person who thinks this. (That I've heard from)

14. Litmus

Litmus Cadet Newbie

Yes, I think this is most likely, too. Remember how Kirk's quick thinking saved Khan from a malfunctioning cryogenic chamber in "Space Seed?" What if a different starship (not Enterprise) encountered Botany Bay in the new timeline? What if Khan dies because the captain who finds him isn't as quick? What if, for that matter, the augments either overtake that unlucky starship--or lay low and quietly assimilate--before hatching a plan to wreak havoc once they have a better lay of the land? John Harrison is probably from the same group--but just nastier (and more successful) than Khan.

15. Franklin

16. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I often wonder, had they cast Benicio Del Toro as Cumberbatch's character, as it would seem Del Toro was an early choice; and now we would be seeing Del Toro doing all the things and saying all the lines we've been privy to in the trailers, AND THEN, we were told that it's not Kahn, but a guy named John Harrison, it would be easy to say: "Fuck that, he's Kahn, no doubt about it"....

I think it's all a red herring, I would even go so far as to speculate that even the early casting consideration of Del Toro was itself part of the misdirection... perhaps he was never in the running, but leaking the news of his possible casting (and other actors of latin descent) would had all the buzz on Kahn before the movie is even made, making any actual "non-Kahn" plot that bigger of a twist and surprise.

I think this film is more about nationalism, terrorism, capitalism, a post-Vulcan weakened Federation, conspiracy, an anti-Starfleet movement, and Klingons. I believe the Klingons are playing a much bigger role in this plot. While Kahn can easily be a villain to facilitate all those themes, in my mind, it's mostly subterfuge.

---And if Del Toro was in the running, he could easily pass as a believable "ridgless" Klingon of the TOS era, perhaps the true Harrison is an altered Klingon sleeper agent. (crazy right?) Merely playful speculation on my part.---

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You probably wouldn't. They've said that after casting Cumberbatch they went back and specifically tailored the role for him.

18. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, like making his character a white English guy, but much of the characters motivations might remain much the same. I wouldn't think JJ and crew would think Cumberbatch is perfect for the role already created only to alter it drastically.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

IIRC, they said something to the effect of "they didn't change the role, they merely changed some dialogue that fit Cumberbatch as an actor better" or something similar.

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

JJ Abrams has always loved his "mystery box" of secrecy. However, to date, he has never lied nor misinformed his viewers in promoting his projects. Combined with the denial of Alice Eve, I believe Khan is not Cumberbatch's character. Everything else is up for grabs.